[3.9] Tectonic Slam Chieftain (RETIRED)

I'm retiring this build as of 3.9. It's a good build and I think it'll do fine in 3.10, I just don't see much activity/interest around it and I'm personally not very motivated to update the character.

Please feel free to use the template and ask questions. If you need help, I'll try and answer.

3.9 changes:

-> Very little changes.
-> Rare chests are far better than Loreweave with the new Conqueror mods.
-> Look for potential Conqueror's exalted orbs slams on your weapons and chest. Check the weapon and chest sections for details and poedb for general mod info.
-> Any awakened gems will obviously be an upgrade.
-> Anoint Constitution.

Note: Please post all your questions in this thread or come by the stream, don't pm me in game. Make sure your profile is PUBLIC before asking for help so your character is visible. If you have issues with the trees and you're loading them into the poe website, don't. Import them into Path of Building. Please check out the FAQ section before asking questions.

I don't claim my guides to be original or super efficient. I write guides to share characters I'm fond of.

Gameplay on youtube, or if I stream.

=======================================================================

Pros:
Decent single target.
Good clearspeed.

Cons:
Might be expensive cause melee meta.
Bosses feel a bit clunky to dps.
JUGG is arguably better and feels better to play.

Introduction
Spoiler

With the recent chieftain buffs, it's a goo choice for fire based attack builds, tectonic slam in particular because of the node Valako, Storm's embrace. It gives upto 15% more damage based on endurance charge consumption. TC consumes endurance charges.

JUGG will have better endurance charge upkeep and will be faster, so it'll feel better to play. Chieftain will have higher top end damage, which tbh doesn't really matter much in this age of billions of dps.

However, if you're looking for a build that exploits the TC - Valako interaction, this is the place to be.

PoB
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/6Qs5zeyW

Path of Building does not count the '100% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage' from Ngamahu, Flame's Advance node as of now. Same goes for the Valako node. I haven't included them in the pob artificially. Pob currently also does not include multistrike correctly.

Final Tree

Bandits
Spoiler

Kill all

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Ngamahu > Hinekora > Tawhoa > Valako

Pantheon
Spoiler

Brine King and Ralakesh.

Current Gear
Spoiler

Jewels:

Gear slot analysis:
Spoiler

Weapon:
Spoiler

Decent pdps foils.

Look for an open prefix instead of the flat ele on my foils. Slam with Warlord's ex.

Good mods:
-> (65–69)% increased Physical Damage, (3–4)% increased Attack Speed
-> Adds (26–35) to (53–61) Fire Damage, Attacks with this Weapon Penetrate (5–7)% Fire Resistance
-> Attacks with this Weapon Penetrate (13–15)% Fire Resistance\
-> Gain (18–20)% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage

PS: I'm not sure if the % phys/attack speed mod from Warlord stack with the already existing % phys.

Budget option: Grelwood Shanks, Ichimonji.

Helmet:
Spoiler

Find a base with the enchant and fossil craft with pristine and scorched for the -9% fire res roll.

BIS - 20% chance to create a charged slam

Budget option: Anything with life, res, int.

Chest:
Spoiler

This is what I had available, and it helps with damage and int. A fossil (Serrated + Pristine) crafted chest will be better. Look for fat life mods with the -15 to mana cost mod.

Can't get maim anymore. Fossil craft a rare astral and look for open affixes for possible slams from a Conqueror's ex.

Good prefixes:
-> (11–15)% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as x Damage
-> Killed Enemies Explode, dealing 3% of their Life as Physical Damage
-> (9–12)% increased maximum Life
-> Every 5 seconds, Regenerate 15% of Life over one second

Good suffixes:
-> 15% chance to gain a Power Charge on Critical Strike
-> 10% chance to gain a Frenzy Charge on Hit
-> Attacks have +(1.1–1.5)% to Critical Strike Chance
-> (12–15)% increased Life Recovery rate

Budget option: Any rare chest, Tabula Rasa.

Gloves:
Spoiler

BIS - Fury. Helps with clearspeed.

Budget option - Anything with life, res.

Boots:
Spoiler

Frees up flask affix and +1 end charge. You can really go for any rare boots. I wouldn't go kaom's roots cause we're a bit socket starved, specially if we end up using new gems, which we most likely will.

Good enchants/corruptions - Regenerate 2% of Life and Mana per second if you were Hit Recently / +1 Maximum Endurance charges

Budget option - Anything with life, res.

Amulet:
Spoiler

Flat phys to attacks, multi, life, wed, dex.

Ignore Aspect of the Spider, I had a prefix available and crafted it.

Belt:
Spoiler

Look for WED roll, after you cap your resists and get life.

Rings:
Spoiler

Life, resists, int.

WED and flat phys to attacks are a bonus.

Flasks:
Spoiler

For mapping:

You need to have your uncapped fire res as the highest for Wise Oak.

Jewels:
Spoiler

If you have one. Look for atleast two of following:

(40-60)% increased Attack Damage while affected by Precision
(10-15)% increased Attack Speed while affected by Precision
+(30-50)% to Critical Strike Multiplier while affected by Precision
Damage Penetrates (10-15)% Fire Resistance while affected by Anger
+(30-50)% to Critical Strike Multiplier while affected by Anger
Gain (15-25)% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage while affected by Anger

Gem Links
Spoiler

Chest:

Remaining links (put them wherever you get the right colors):

Unlinked:

Videos:
Spoiler

3.7 videos:
Spoiler

Older version with lycosidae:
Spoiler

JUGG videos from 3.6 just for archiving:
Spoiler

FAQ:
Spoiler

Sustaining end charges? Valako worth? Do we even get 15% more damage?
Spoiler
Well, we don't sustain endurance charges. Chance to consume an endurance charge by TS per attack is 35%, 55% with the helm enchant. Tawhoa gives a 35% chance to gain a charge per attack. It's good but without JUGG or a endurance charges precursors you can't sustain that. We'll typically be at 0-3 charges all the time.

Assuming 'recently' from Valako refers to 4 seconds, we'll probably be at atleast 9% more damage most of the time. The way I see Valako is free damage for TC. You could go Tasalio and drop it altogether but its the whole reason to go chieftain so I'm sticking with it. Tasalio is a REALLY good defensive node though, so feel free to experiment. We kinda have bit of overkill damage anyway.

Why multistrike?
Spoiler
The current issue with multistrike is that each repeat of the skill can consume charges for TC, but can't generate it. So only the initial hit can generate charges and the rest can consume. This makes it so we're often out of charges and don't stack up Valako fast enough for the 15% more damage.

I tried out different support gems, but the build feels awful to play without the attack speed. You could honestly swap out another more multiplier for faster attacks and it feels amazing to play. Short of switching ascendancies, this is the only easy way to get a lot of attack speed.

Changelog:
Spoiler

Added guide?
Changed links, got more attack speed. Feels better to play now.
Added a hydra video.
Made a bunch of changes. Check the top of the page for a list.
Retired.
I make build guides for fun.

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/cent664
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/cent664
Last edited by cent664 on May 4, 2020, 4:28:30 AM
Last bumped on Nov 21, 2019, 2:16:01 AM
Looking good.
What if you build this with Oni and kaoms heart? like how much damage/Survivability would you gain/loose?
"
What if you build this with Oni and kaoms heart? like how much damage/Survivability would you gain/loose?

This build initially was oni and kaom's with a JUGG. Simply speaking its better, but when I switched to chieftain, the low attack speed felt really bad, so I switched to this setup.

Even at 77% accuracy, oni has 2.9mil and 7.4k life.
This version is at 2.4mil and 6.3k life.

You do lose the enfeeble but it should still be technically better. Only thing is, it feels like garbage to play with to me, so I prefer this.

35% Lion's Roar? Is that something coming in 3.7 or is it just a mistake?
I have been waiting for this build. Thanks a lot man, great job.
Is this build Viable for SSF ? I'm gonna try SSF for the first time this league.
Hei mate, with what skills and how u gonna start, and with what, what is my goal to get can u help me out little ?
"
juzzif wrote:

Standard league, legacy gear.
"

Legacy lion's roar, forgot to change it to regular one.

"
Is this build Viable for SSF ? I'm gonna try SSF for the first time this league.

I get this question a lot for every single build. Yes it SSF viable, as long as you don't need any specific unfarmable item to make the build work, it's viable. But your dps won't any where close enough without a good foil or lycoidae. If you go SSF, try using Oni - Goroshi.

"
Hei mate, with what skills and how u gonna start, and with what, what is my goal to get can u help me out little ?

I'm not playing this build this league. I would use any skill till you get tectonic slam and use it then onwards. I don't understand the rest of your question.

Hei again, ur passive skill tree, is different then ingame, they changed it, how where do i need to move, im at second passsive skill tree urs

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info