My Game was Crashing but the issue has been resolved.

Good Day Everyone!

I have decided to write this for those that may be experiencing the same issues I did and *support* not being very helpful or too busy to help.

Below you can find my PC specs:

**Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) 95W, OC to 4.99 GHz

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)DDR4 3600

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card

ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair CX750M Semi-Modular Power Supply

(Plenty of SSD’s and a standard hard drive for storage) It should be noted that my main SSD is only 250 gigs and it is for OS, 500 gigs SSD for games and 1T mechanical drive for storage.**

So here is a bit of background so that we all can be on the same page.

Approximately two weeks ago my PoE started to crash without any error notifications or warnings. The crash will force the game to close to desktop. After starting the game and playing for about 15-20 minutes, the crash would repeat. The frustrating issue was that upon getting back into the game, I would notice that the progress for the past 15-20 min is not at the same level as it should have been. (Items obtained during the gameplay were missing).

After spending multiple hours to research what was the issue and writing an email to the support team, nothing helped. Support team asked similar questions about the crash as I had reference report (crash error) and for me to be more specific. After I explained to them that there aren't any errors and I have nothing else to provide them with other than all the possible solutions I have tried that yielded negative results, I have not heard from them… Due to their slow replies and possibly no interest in helping out, I went back to Google and started my search for more possible solutions.

Yesterday 02-12-2019, I ran into a forum post ***https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2326982*** where RPGNoobANKA replied with 5 possible steps to take to resolve the crashing of the game. Now, if you do not want to click the forum above, that is fine, I'll explain.

The OP (Original Post/er) started the post due to constant crashing while on a new PC. RPGNoobANKA’s reply provided the OP with some possible solution that may have resolved the issue because I have not seen any other replies after RPGNoobANKA’s post.

Then it was my turn :) After trying the first 4 steps provided by RPGNoobANKA and yielding negative results, I looked into the final 5th step. ***The results were positive*** I have resolved my issue with the help of RPGNoobANKA’s post. ***Thank you Very Much RPGNoobANKA***

The 5th step mentions space on your SSD and that you should have extra space left for the game due to leveling and discovering new areas, maps and so on. I can’t confirm whether 20-25% is what really needed as having a conversation with other folks revealed that some do not have the amount mentioned nor have ever had the issue themselves. In conclusion, I moved PoE to a different SSD and now have no issues.

***Dear GGG, please allow players to select install location upon installing PoE launcher.***
Last bumped on Feb 13, 2019, 4:10:22 PM
"
RussMafia wrote:
Good Day Everyone!

[...]

The 5th step mentions space on your SSD and that you should have extra space left for the game due to leveling and discovering new areas, maps and so on. I can’t confirm whether 20-25% is what really needed as having a conversation with other folks revealed that some do not have the amount mentioned nor have ever had the issue themselves. In conclusion, I moved PoE to a different SSD and now have no issues.

[..]

The 20-25% is

1. a technical thing of SSDs, as the performance of SSDs degrade the further you get to full capacity ( https://pureinfotech.com/why-solid-state-drive-ssd-performance-slows-down/ ). Manufacturers introduced overprovisioning ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q15wN8JC2L4 ), but that does not solve the problem 100% of SSD at full capacity, for all users, 100%.

2. and as it is known that POE creates temp files (in my Steam Folder there are 3 "Cache" folders, logs, and in My Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/minimap will amass thousands of minimap files over time plus the promotional images)

3. overtime POE gets bigger and bigger with each new league update, + if its installed on C: and user adds more files to the drive (pictures, music etc), the users could sleep on the fact the SSD is nearly full or full. Add how old the drive is (dead cells, usage), things (read and write speeds) can start to act up and may cause POE and or other games installed on that drive to crash because the read or write operation timed out.

I have a background in help desk and technical support hw&sw (was my first job), and (as you can see from my forum posts) I think one has to approach these problems (here in the forum) with a broad brush (basics first), because you never know about the competence of the user (even I discovered a miner on my system 1 year ago don't want to know how long that was there and mined) and their PC and usage.
Last edited by RPGNoobANKA on Feb 13, 2019, 3:51:03 PM
Hey Hey!

I am glad you stopped by. Now I can thank you for posting your responses and know that you know they are helping others who could not get help from the creators :)

Thank you, RPGNoobANKA!
Last edited by RussMafia on Feb 13, 2019, 4:11:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info