[3.6]Winter orb CWC Ice Spear Assassin 2.2m+ Shaper DPS 9kehp - Beginner Friendly. Uber Elder Down

3.6 update:

3.6.0 skill tree: Passives Lv 93

Build Update:

Made some minor adjustments to the build, went poison with a cold volkuurs and a Fenumus' toxins

Main reason for going poison is cos it unlocks one of the best dps support in the game:

At 10 stacks of poison which happens in a near instant due to 100% chance to poison, we get 50% more damage with hits and this support gem also scales our added chaos damage. It works much better than a hypothermia which sadly doesnt work for uber elder fights.

Also changed ascendency from ambush and assassinate to noxious strike.

Next item that i wanna change would be the amulet.

Acquired a new mainhand:

Price 5ex, Dps 2m+. I wanted a weapon upgrade for a pretty long while. This fits the build pretty nicely with all the crit multi and added chaos damage. Synergises well with fenumus weave as the -10% resists decrease chaos resists as well

Swapped out old doryani boots with this:

Wanted a pair with purity of ice mod. Switched herald of ice with purity of ice during uber elder fight.

Pros:

+ 9k+ ehp with Fenumus Shroud, 7k+ ehp with a tabula!
+ Cheap to start gearing!
+ No gem swapping!
+ End game viable!
+ Can do all map mods!
+ Nice clearspeed!
+ Can handle t16 syndicates easily due to playstyle

Cons:

- Non facetank build
- Not T1 clear speed
- Less DPS than double voids
- Quite a lot of buttons to press

Videos

Shaper Kill
Uber Elder Kill
More to come

SKILL TREE

Assassin
Passives Lv 91

Ascendancy Points: Unstable Infusion -> Deadly Infusion -> Opportunistic -> Ambush and Assassinate

Bandits: Alira - Crit multi, resists and mana regen

LEVELING TREES

SKILL TREE EXPLANATION

Pathing for a spellcaster assassin is pretty straight forward; path from shadow area, move on to witch and finally templar. We need to get all 3 power charges as an assassin so the structure of the tree is pretty standard.

Do not take power charges before your second ascendancy (Deadly infusion)- it may hinder your leveling progress. As an assassin, damage is pretty important for survivability as your crit and cold damage will freeze mobs and leave you unscathed.

JEWELS

Jewels for this build are pretty straight forward; I like a good mix of abyss jewels and normal ones. You should prioritise affixes in this order

Life/ES -> Crit Multi/flat cold to spells -> Cold Damage/Spell Damage/Generic Damage -> stats/resists

Aim for 3 stat jewels at least or the jewel slot will not be worth it

PANTHEON

Major God: Brine king when mapping/early in the atlas, Soul of arakaali for uber elder
Minor God: Soul of Ryslatha when in lab, Yugul for Uber Elder.

DPS

SKILL DPS
PoB pastebin
https://pastebin.com/u34ptshA - Old version with hypothermia

1.3M Shaper DPS on icespear alone WITHOUT dying sun,
66k dps on winter orb (1 projectile)

https://pastebin.com/BuS2gk2H - New version with poison

~2M Shaper DPS on icespear,
120k dps on winter orb (1 projectile)

DEFENSE

• 9.2k Ehp 4.9k hp, 4.3k es
  • 30% block
  • 0.5% spell leech, 2% with Warlord's mark
  • Crits aren't reflected
  • Immunity to freeze
  • Blind
  • Shield Charge + Fortify

GEAR

This are the typical end game gear. Obviously there can be some improvements such as getting a better dps weapon or a rare shield but these are the equips
what I determined as best value for money

Leveling Guide
Spoiler

Tabula is the MVP here. Winter Orb clears remarkably well provided it has dps. Winter has pretty shitty single target dps. CwC has a good mix of both but requires a 6l. Tabula is the answer.

But seriously tho, if you're starting from scratch and afford a tabula, start with a +1 cold gems scepter/wand. You can make them yourself by vendoring a white scepter/wand with a sapphire ring to get that cold gem.

Level 1 - 27
Grab freeze pulse and explosive trap to start.
Both deals pretty great damage as a single link and have great single target as well. Use a +1 gems scepter/wand using recipe or a dagger if you manage to find one with some nice spell damage.

If you have a guild, try to ask them for 2x lifesprigs. Lifesprings make leveling so much easier. alternatively you can try your luck on global 820 if you're cheap. Equip Lifesprigs if once you reach lvl 14. Grab added cold damage link it to your freeze pulse/explosive trap.

Grab herald of ice and thunder asap once you reach act 2.

Grab a ice spear and level it in your spare gem slots

Level 28 - 45
Once you hit level 28, grab winter orb added cold and lesser multiple projs and socket in a 3l wand/scepter +1 cold gems. Use a offhand with spell damage/crit or flat damage. Basically anything that boosts your dps. Equip tabula if you have/can afford one at this point. This set up should be able to carry you all the way till Act 5 without much of a problem. Dont facetank and run around in circles when fighting bosses.

By level 40 you should either have a 3l in a +1 gems setup OR a 4l/5l with spell dps weapons OR tabula with winter orb, cwc and ice spear in that setup.
Take GMP and CWC but dont link it with your WO unless its in a 6l with ice spear.

If youre on gloves 4l, craft +1 to projectile gems/ pierce additional 1 target that huge QoL increase.

The links you should have are as follows:

3L : WO - added cold - LMP

4l : WO - added cold - LMP - Controlled Destruction - (hypothermia)

6l : WO - added cold - GMP - Cont. Des. - CWC - Ice Spear

Affixes you wanna look out for are: Spell/cold/flat damage(cold) ->crit chance -> crit multi/cast speed.

Once you hit 44, swap mainhand for a cerberus limb and try to get a shield such as aeges aurora if you want survivability or light of lunaris if you want dps.

Grab goldrim if youre struggling with resists, grab the gull(38) if you are able to cap resists.

Grab boots with at least 25% MS.

Level 45 - 70

Now would the time when you just finished act 5. Grab resists gears, equip that goldrim that you have been holding off for a while and make sure you get resists on rings.

Grab a brine crown once you hit level 63.

Once you clear act 10 you need to upgrade your resistance gear again. Make sure you are capped(except chaos) or you will have a hard time entering maps.

Level 70+

Do not enter maps without a tabula or with uncapped resistance.
Use discipline to increase your ehp pool.
Grab voidwalkers if you are saving up for a pandemonius.
Upgrade rings and amulet to decent rares (life -> resists -> es)

GEAR EXPLANATION

Spoiler
Mainhand

Cerberus Limb is farmable through delving and I didnt actually buy it. It gives spell leech with a shield with at least 30%block. Prior to Cerberus limb I was using a leveling dagger with crit chance, spell damage and flat damage to spells

Price: Looted

Offhand

light of lunaris is one the best dps shields out that that complements this build really well. Offering flat damage to spells, loads of crit multi (up to 75% with Rumi's) as well as decent ES, some crit and block chance. Saves me the hassle of getting a rare shield. However, you probably can get a rare shield with much much higher ES.

Price: 20c or so at time of purchase

Other shields that I considered using were:

for synergy with cerberus limb as well as being really defensive due to resists. I started mapping with it and the resists it provided was actually really useful. It costs practically nothing so it's a nice pick me up if you find yourself struggling to survive in maps

You can also use another dagger or a stat stick for this build but I did prefer to go some what defensive due to syndicate encounters

Helm

Brine Crown post-buff seems to fit the hydrid archetype really well!
Offering a high amount of armour and es as well as up to 100 life, its pretty much a no brainer for the unique headslot. I initially intended to pair it with an aegis aurora but I stucked with this even after changing shields! The 5% less cold damage taken work be useful for shaper and elder/uber elder fights, the mana regen also helps us be self-reliant without leech.

Other than that, hybrid life+es rares would do the trick although you might end up paying quite a high price for good rolls

Price: 5c

If you can't balance resist, a goldrim can help you in the initial stages of the build.

The gull is also another interesting option, although I prefer less variability in my builds.

Chest

Since I am running aspect of the spider, Fenumus's Shroud is definitely BIS. The 10% mitigation + -10% to resists is really too good to pass up. No life on this chest but youre able to get 400+es with quality from this.

Only other unique chest I considered was the Queen's Hunger. All the offering skills have great synergy with this build plus it offers one of the highest es rolls on a unique chest. up to 10% increased life is a crazy amount of life for an ES chest. Plus the veiled mods can roll some crazy stuff such as spell dodge/Int+quality/120es regen per sec. Super awesome. If I didnt managed to get the spider craft, would have totally gone with this instead.

Price for Fenumus: 85c at time of purchase

Of course the earlier mentioned chests are your endgame chest and you might need to save up for it. Also CWC ice spear definitely needs a 6l to feel good so I would avoid recommending people to use it with a 5l. That being said, I took a while to acquire my chest so I was using a tabula leveled with it till 90. Even with budget gears, I still had around 7.4k ehp with a tabula at around lvl 88 and had not much difficulty with syndicate encounters other than tora. I even managed to down Uber Atziri with a tabula so it's pretty manageable still.

Gloves

Pair of rare gloves with increased damage against chilled enemies cos you can never have too much dps. Winds of change is an option but was too expensive for what it offered at time of purchase so I went with a rare pair. Resists, life and damage: Much better than WoC and cheaper too.

Price: 10c

Boots

Another slot for dps. I would say Doryani's Delusion fit this build really well due to hybrid nature as well as flat damage to spells. 30% movespeed
life rolls as well as decent es make this pair pretty hard to beat with a budget.

Price: 17c

Amulet

BIS for sure. In fact I would prioritise this as the first major upgrade in the build. The increase in clearspeed as well as dps to bosses is very noticeable. Prior to this I was using a crit multi neck with life and resists. Pretty standard stuff.

Price: 2.5ex at time of purchase.

Rings

Both these rings are pretty expensive but you can definitely make do with cheaper ones. The aspect ring was bought with 4 rolls, bought aspect craft for 35c and crafted -mana to skills. the -mana allows you to channel without running out of mana when not leeching, which is a huge qol for boss fights.

Price: Former: 1.5ex + 1ex es recharge craft. Latter: 15c + 35c craft

Belt

life resists and the usual stuff. If you can cap resists, craft es regen on belt.

Price: 15c

Flasks

Atziri, rumi and wise oak are your value for money dps flasks. I would upgrade wise oak for dying sun tho.

THE END

Guys, if you intend to try this build or are already playing it, please give some feedback on whether you like it or not, or what things you feel needs to be improved.

[3.0] BLIGHT PACT | Guardians+Shaper Down on a 4l! Budget To Not So Budget | 9k life | Starter Build - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1957148
Last edited by lumosnoxlumo on Mar 20, 2019, 4:57:45 AM
Last bumped on Sep 13, 2019, 2:18:36 PM
Reserved- For future updates
[3.0] BLIGHT PACT | Guardians+Shaper Down on a 4l! Budget To Not So Budget | 9k life | Starter Build - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1957148
19-12 Added shaper kill
A Levelling guide would be nice..

- Gem set-up in the early stages

- what to buy when you don't have the currency

- etc etc

Never played such type of builds so i'm not experienced on where to go trough all the acts
Last edited by Paulieboy on Dec 20, 2018, 2:06:30 PM
23-12 Uber Elder kill added
Hi. I have a question.
How do i level this build?
I have trouble clearing content even in lvl 30 zones.
Granted i have no gear but i had no luck in drops and currency.
"
ChypnotiC2 wrote:
Hi. I have a question.
How do i level this build?
I have trouble clearing content even in lvl 30 zones.
Granted i have no gear but i had no luck in drops and currency.

So sorry to hear about your troubles!

I have included a leveling guide, hope it smoothens out your leveling process! It should be a blast to level with winter orb!
25-12 leveling guide added
Hey I'm playing a similar build (but as a Deadeye) and until now I was hesitant to use hypothermia/pandemonius because I'm not sure if I can get reliable chills on the highest HP enemies. For example the wiki says you need a 66k damage hit to chill him, which might be hard to achieve given that Ice spear does many small hits. For example your 1.3M pob says you would deal 44k damage/hit on unchilled shaper. So is chill from the CoC setup/pandemonius itself reliable enough to make it worth it?
"
ZZZiltoid wrote:
Hey I'm playing a similar build (but as a Deadeye) and until now I was hesitant to use hypothermia/pandemonius because I'm not sure if I can get reliable chills on the highest HP enemies. For example the wiki says you need a 66k damage hit to chill him, which might be hard to achieve given that Ice spear does many small hits. For example your 1.3M pob says you would deal 44k damage/hit on unchilled shaper. So is chill from the CoC setup/pandemonius itself reliable enough to make it worth it?

Actually you're right! I realised shaper/uber elder was never blinded at all in the fight which kinda made pandemonius kinda bad for that encounter eh.

I used to use added cold damage before switching out for hypothermia as PoB determined that was the highest dps link. I dont really like conditional modifiers and will do more testing. Thanks for the heads up!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info