[3.5] SSF CI Winter Orb CWC Ice Spear Elementalist - Uber Elder viable (finally)

I have used this build to take on pretty much all content in the game, including a successful Uber Elder kill.

I am currently level 94 in Betrayal SSF with the following passive tree: http://poeurl.com/ceJN

And this is my PoB: https://pastebin.com/7HNfWyFA

Videos of key fights:
Pit of the Chimera
Forge of the Phoenix
Shaper
T16 Safehouse (Intervention)
T16 Safehouse (Fortification)
Uber Elder
Pure Chayula Breach boss

You can see the build in action on my stream at: https://www.twitch.tv/lordfearlessleader

The basic concept is simple, AoE clear with Winter Orb and single target with Ice Spear all in a single package. I am in SSF and this is my first character this league. All the above fights were done on a 5-link except Uber Elder and the Chayula Breach.

I recommend levelling as life/MoM and switching to CI only once you have good enough ES gear. An example life/MoM tree (with minimal respec required to CI) is as follows: poeurl.com/cb5u

I (slightly stupidly) levelled straight into ES, this was a bad idea. I died many times, mostly to betrayal stuff but still many times. That being said, around the time I hit level 80 and got the 'Recover 27% ES and Mana on Focus' mod I have barely died at all.

Current Gear

Importantly, I am also running 'The Golden Rule' unique jewel along with 2 rare jewels that have chance to poison on hit. This causes me to poison myself giving me ES regen and +3% max all res from Apep's Slumber

The 2 biggest upgrades I could make to the current build are an Apep's Supremacy (over the slumber) and some kind of freeze resistance/immunity such as an Auxium unique belt. Also Skyforth's would be nice.

Notes on Uber Elder
Killing Uber Elder with my build in its current state was relatively challenging for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the nature of Cast While Channelling and channelled skills in general. The short pause before any ice spears fly and the need to build up channelling charges makes positioning and actually getting damage on the target a real challenge, especially in such a hectic fight. As such I would have to warn you that this is not an ideal Uber Elder killing or farming build.

The above being said, it is certainly possible (as I have proven!) and can be made much easier with a few slight improvements to gear. The biggest killer (I found) in the fight is getting frozen and not having anti-freeze flasks available. As such some sort of freeze resistance or immunity would probably be the biggest possible upgrade in terms of this fight. Another problem I have had (due to the nature of SSF) is getting enough resistance on gear. Apep's Slumber/Supremacy provide an extra 3% to max resistances but I really struggled to get from 75% all res to 78% all res. That being said I did get very unlucky with all 4 exalts I used and if even one of them had rolled resistance I would have been fine.

Last edited by Doombug5000 on Jan 9, 2019, 2:00:53 AM
Last bumped on Apr 5, 2019, 9:36:03 PM
Update: Added a bunch of videos! Updated gear and build links.
Hi mate, what kind of setup do you have for gem progression when leveling? same setup you have for endgame?

cheers mate
"
TeeBung wrote:
Hi mate, what kind of setup do you have for gem progression when leveling? same setup you have for endgame?

cheers mate

Pretty much the same, yeah.

At first, I used Freezing Pulse and Ice Nova to level, once I got winter orb I switched to that.

Then, in act 4, I got Cast While Channelling and my gem setup was: Winter Orb, Cast While Channelling, Ice Spear, Greater Multiple Projectiles.

When I upgraded to a 5 link I added Hypothermia (because Elementalist = guaranteed chill) and then, on a 6 link, I added Controlled Destruction.
"
Doombug5000 wrote:
"
TeeBung wrote:

cheers mate

Pretty much the same, yeah.

At first, I used Freezing Pulse and Ice Nova to level, once I got winter orb I switched to that.

Then, in act 4, I got Cast While Channelling and my gem setup was: Winter Orb, Cast While Channelling, Ice Spear, Greater Multiple Projectiles.

When I upgraded to a 5 link I added Hypothermia (because Elementalist = guaranteed chill) and then, on a 6 link, I added Controlled Destruction.

Sounds good, thanks

Also, are there any good uniques to slot in for ssf that arent in the pob? since with betrayal uniques can be accessed easier.
"
TeeBung wrote:

Sounds good, thanks

Also, are there any good uniques to slot in for ssf that arent in the pob? since with betrayal uniques can be accessed easier.

Yeah, I mean your helmet, boots, gloves can be pretty much any high ES uniques. You could use Memory Vault or The Vertex for the helmet (as long as you can get all your resists elsewhere). You could use Kalisa's Grace for gloves, Rainbowstrides or Voidwalkers for boots perhaps, ultimately I want Skyforths but the chances of that ever happening are obviously quite low.

Another variable is your amulet, if you take some extra strength on the tree you can use Halycyon/Pandemonious.

Ultimately I'd want a good Elder Warlord's Mark on Hit ring but I need the dexterity on mine. That being said a Warlord's Mark on Hit ring basically replaces the Berek's Grip but also means you can't do Hexproof maps (Berek's gives you mana and life leech against hexproof enemies).

Lastly, I am of course aiming for an Apep's Supremacy shield, I have the slumber but vials of awakening are extremely rare so I'm not sure I'll ever get it.
Last edited by Doombug5000 on Jan 1, 2019, 6:38:21 AM
First, thanks for this great build.

I'm still levelling, but it's already fun ^^.

2 questions for you :

1/ which pantheons are you using?
2/ what is the order of ascendancy choice?

Thank you again, and sorry for my bad english ;)
"
nickn06 wrote:
First, thanks for this great build.

I'm still levelling, but it's already fun ^^.

2 questions for you :

1/ which pantheons are you using?
2/ what is the order of ascendancy choice?

Thank you again, and sorry for my bad english ;)

Pantheons are Brine King (fully upgraded - at least until I can get Skyforths for stun resist) and Yugul (also upgraded).

You can also consider Tukohama, Gruthkul and Ralakesh for minor Pantheon, I chose Yugul for fighting Uber Elder.

Ascendancy order is:
  • Shaper of Desolation
  • Beacon of Ruin
  • Pendulum of Destruction
  • Mastermind of Discord
Last edited by Doombug5000 on Jan 13, 2019, 4:35:38 AM
- nvm. Asked about nullification but I see resourcefulness is there.
Last edited by alt01dz on Apr 5, 2019, 9:48:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info