[3.4] Deadeye Vaal Power Siphon

Hello, everybody!.
My second guide here before the league ends and this time around wands because I get bored playing with bows and I always wanted to play at least one build with wands.

Like the RoA build that I did before, this time you also need only a 6L to stand against mobs and bosses. PS/Vaal PS has got buffed in the recent patches so I found it very interesting to give it a try. That's why I come with this build as it follows.
If you have questions just PM in game or here in the forum :)
Enjoy!

VIDEOS AND UPDATED PASTEBIN

More life, more damage, and resistances are quite tight but enough to survive. Changed my rare wand for a Piscators due to the huge accuracy and more attack speed also with Lightning damage as a corruption (not amazing but very good), bought another Lightpoacher and another Shroud with more life. I've changed the colors of my shield to use Vaal Grace and Vaal Haste with Increased Duration against tough bosses.
Check it out!
PASTEBIN CODE
https://pastebin.com/1bKp4E5P

Went YOLO with the exalted that I did in this league and slammed all my jewels, some ones have life on it, some other have random stuff. 6.1K HP and more damage:
PASTEBIN YOLO ON JEWELS
https://pastebin.com/CsK4vZXF

Sorry for the quality of the videos :( I'll try to do better the next time. It is my first time recording videos of my gameplays. Hope you enjoy the results!

Terrible fail facetanking Hydra, my god. I don't know what I was about trying to facetank the Barrage attack of the Hydra, but whatever. A T16 run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_TYomLUYuQ

T15 Reef Map. Full run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w_H98Z-6_o

T14 Dark Forest with random death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWIbZEKWwM I F*CKING HATE THE BOSS OF THIS MAP.

T12 Defiled Cathedral. Horrible video quality. Full run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meHTGFtn6Rk

INDEX:
1) INTRODUCTION
2) PROS & CONS
3) SKILL TREE
4) BANDITS AND PANTHEONS
5) ASCENDANCIES
6) GEAR AND GEM LINKS
7) JEWELS

1) INTRODUCTION
===============================================================================
I was kinda bored playing bow builds with Rangers and always wanted to try wand builds for a long time.
After consecutive nerfs to Kinetic Blast and after some buffs to Power Siphon I wanted to give the skill a shot and the result was very satisfying. Great clear speed, melting and shattering packs of mobs almost all the time, free Power Charges generation and scales really well in damage. Also has a very good killing potential against bosses.
This build goes around the Shroud of the Lightless chest piece (and other Abbys items => 2-socket Lighpoacher, 2-socket Tombfist and Stygian Vise belt), we take the benefit of the elemental penetration and the pseudo-6-link, taking in advance the free jewel socket. This build in comparison with the RoA build that I made before was more expensive even counting that the chest piece is very cheap at the moment of this league (the one that I bought cost me 70 chaos 5L already and good stats)

2) PROS AND CONS
PROS

* Powerful clear speed
* Free Power Charges generation => Gives us space to build another Curse On Hit setup everywhere in our gear.
* One 6L for everything
* Big elemental penetration.
* Free pierce from the Deadeye Ascendancy.

CONS

* Leveling with wands is hard, you'll want to level with bows first.
* Wands don't shine after lvl 70-80.
* You'll need some movement mechanics and patience to kill bosses.
* Could be a little expensive.
* You'll need a good pool of intelligence to handle some gear.
* Is a life-based build, life gear could be very expensive to buy or craft.
* Can't do ele-reflect/no leech maps.

3) SKILL TREE.
Currently, at the moment I'm lvl 93 and this is my POB link with the skill tree and all of my gear:
PASTEBIN CODE
https://pastebin.com/6i7SmgXU

I've leveled with bows until lvl 80 more or less. At that point, I've respecced some points heading into the Witch area to get more lightning damage. I'll get into the Tempest Blast wheel with my last points to get more damage/accuracy.

You want to start like any other Ranger skill tree, grabbing bow nodes, heading into Duelist Area for projectile damage and life, then heading into the Shadow area, grabbing some WED and more life on your way and Crit chance/multi nodes. If you want, you can check the other guide that I made ([3.4] The Tempest Cold/Lightning Deadeye Rain Of Arrows) to take note about what you can do with your skill tree while leveling your character with bows before switching to wands.

When you are ready to switch to wands, respec those bow nodes and rearrange your skill tree to get more intelligence from it and swap into wands. You'll need to change your jewels with many with lightning damage/lightning damage with wands and life rolls.

4) BANDITS AND PANTHEONS
You'll help Alira for the Crit Multi and resistances. The mana regen is not that amazing but helps while leveling and with our mana issues.

For Major God, Brine King to avoid Stun chains. Even better if you have it upgraded.
And for Minor God choose whatever you want. Personally, I use Ryslatha for Ascendancy Trials and then I rotate from whichever God I consider good depending on what I have rolled on maps.

5) ASCENDANCIES
These may be different from yours, choose whatever you find suitable for you :)

Fast and Deadly => Gathering Winds => Rupture => Powerful Precision

Why no Far Shot? Because I consider that is not worthy and I use Point Blank. I've replaced Far Shot for Powerful Precision to get free pierce and Crit Chance against pierced targets and more damage overall.

6) GEAR AND GEM LINKS

Chest

Shroud Of The Lightless. The chest piece for the main skill. Pseudo-6L with Elemental Penetration and also 1% increased Maximum Life for each Abbys Jewel affecting you. Also grants a fair amount of energy shield and evasion that serve as a layer of defence.
You can wear a rare chest with elemental resistances and good amount of life if you want. An Elder 6L chest with crit chance to attacks attached to it with life and resistances is a very good option too.

Current links in my chest: PS > Elemental Damage With Attacks > Faster Attacks > Pierce support (for more pierce pleasure) > Added Lightning Damage Support.

You could swap Faster Attacks for another support like, idk, Ice Bite support, or recolor your chest to attach Innervate support for the flat lightning damage and the Innvervate effect when you are mapping.

Helmet

2-socket Lightpoacher. The BiS helmet provides some elemental resistances and 2 sockets for the abbys jewels. I have attached Wrath with Enlighten (lvl 2 at the moment).

For rare helmet look for good chunk of life and good resistances.

Gloves

2-socket Tombfist. Best offensive gloves. 10% increased damage for the Intimidate is very always very well welcomed. Attached to this gloves I have an Immortal Call setup with CwDT.

For rare gloves the same as the helmet: life, resistances. Search flat lightning damage too.

Boots

In this case just rare boots with high movement speed, life (strength + flat life) and elemental resistances. This is the place where most of your elemental resistances will be spotted. Also you can search resistances on your jewelry.

Has a Curse On Hit setup with HoI and Poacher's Mark => Free flask charges and Frenzy Charge generation by killing mobs. And Decoy Totem to face some bosses.
I was running Two-toned boots with a huge amount of resistances. The first top-tier boots that I ever crafted :( they had T4 movement speed, but I was very overcapped in resistances and I sold them.

Belt

A rare Stygian Vise with high flat life and resistances. Also with the Delve mode "Increased Lightning Damage". Crafted WED on it. My ideal belt would be one Stygian Vise with WED, Increased Elemental Damage, Increased Lightning Damage, high flat life, and some resistances. But I wasn't lucky enough to craft it, and they are very expensive to purchase.
Otherwise, you can wear any rare belt with life, resistances, WED, and stats if you need them.

Wand

A rare wand with flat lightning damage, crit chance, crit multi and attack speed.

You could use Piscator's if you want to get more elemental penetration. I prefer a rare wand because you can have crit multi on it. Is more damage overall.
Has utilities gems: Flame Dash for moving around ledges, Stone Golem for the life regeneration and Faster Casting support.

Shield

Just a rare shield with life, resistances, Lightning damage. If you can, get a shield with an spot to craft WED on it.

It has a Curse On Hit setup with Frenzy to generate Frenzy Charges against bosses and Ele Weaknes to curse.

Rings and amulet

Rare rings/amulet with elemental resistances, some lightning damage and good pool of life.

Flasks

Nothing funcy, just flask with Divine Life Flask with anti-bleed, Silver flask with anti-freeze, Quicksilver with more MS, Diamond Flask for the crits with anti-curse and Atiziri's Promise for more damage overall.

7) JEWELS
I will list all at once:
Abbys and rare Cobalt Jewels

On jewels you'll need lightning damage/lightning damage with wands + cold/cold damage with wands (I hit fire damage all the time on my jewels ¬_¬ ), life and resistances if you need them. For rare jewels you'll need increased lightning damage, attack speed with wands/attack speed while holding a shield/attack speed+attack/cast speed, crit multi and life or resistances.

And that's it :) you can do whatever you want at this point, even swap into an MF character if you have good items to run it.
Hope you enjoyed the build as much as I did. Any comment will be apprecianted.
Cheers :)
Last edited by Educmack on Dec 2, 2018, 9:53:29 AM
Last bumped on Feb 20, 2019, 10:11:31 AM
I’ve wanted to play VPS since Abyss league, so I’m probably going to test this build now and if we get no nerfs or substantial changes, maybe even my 3.5 starter.

What was your success with this build, what was cleared?I can’t believe VPS is good with bossing.
"
decyphier wrote:
I’ve wanted to play VPS since Abyss league, so I’m probably going to test this build now and if we get no nerfs or substantial changes, maybe even my 3.5 starter.

What was your success with this build, what was cleared? I can’t believe VPS is good with bossing.

First, thank you in taking your time to read this post :) and I hope you're doing very well.
I have to record some videos, I wasn't very lucky with drops to make a T16 run against a Shaper boss, but fairly enough I can clear T15 maps and face bosses without problems. You can do normal Atziri too, you'll need to change a little bit your skill setup (swap VPS with Barrage on your main 6L and make a 4L VPS that still powerful enough to take mobs down) but it's totally viable.
I did some Elder Guardians in white maps and also in some red ones (I did normal Elder but not Red Elder yet cuz I'm not very experienced about taking big bosses, this is my first time actually, I'm kinda noob yet haha).
It takes some time to kill them, you need patience and be alert to their movements, but you can do it quite easily.
In a couple of days, I'll record some videos to make a showcase of the build and how good it is with Normal Atziri at the moment and doing some T15 maps. And if I'm lucky enough and get a T16 map I'll record it.
Also, where are my manners...

Thanks for this guide, it's well written and everything is accessible. I dislike guides that go into unnecessary tirades and spoiler tags with images, etc.

I appreciate you taking the time to record future videos. It's good to hear that the build can take on that content! That's pretty great for VPS imo, especially from starting a league.

I started leveling my Ranger to test this build out and give you some posts, videos, etc, along the way. I started with Ice Shot and then transitioned over to Rain of Arrows (insane skill). So far so good.
Last edited by decyphier on Nov 22, 2018, 12:16:11 PM
"
decyphier wrote:
Also, where are my manners...

Thanks for this guide, it's well written and everything is accessible. I dislike guides that go into unnecessary tirades and spoiler tags with images, etc.

I appreciate you taking the time to record future videos. It's good to hear that the build can take on that content! That's pretty great for VPS imo, especially from starting a league.

I started leveling my Ranger to test this build out and give you some posts, videos, etc, along the way. I started with Ice Shot and then transitioned over to Rain of Arrows (insane skill). So far so good.

Hahaha don't worry about manners :) I always try to be polite with everyone as much as I can. I hope you find this build interesting and fun to play :) I've never expected to find VPS with that power. But hey! It does quite good at the moment :)

Yeah! RoA is a very powerful skill, I did another post about Deadeye with The Tempest and was fast as hell. I have to post videos on my other post too to showcase how that build works.

I'll be waiting for your videos! Hope you enjoy this build :) good luck! If you have any questions just send pm and I'll try to answer you as soon as I can.
"
Educmack wrote:
"
decyphier wrote:

What was your success with this build, what was cleared? I can’t believe VPS is good with bossing.

First, thank you in taking your time to read this post :) and I hope you're doing very well.
I have to record some videos, I wasn't very lucky with drops to make a T16 run against a Shaper boss, but fairly enough I can clear T15 maps and face bosses without problems. You can do normal Atziri too, you'll need to change a little bit your skill setup (swap VPS with Barrage on your main 6L and make a 4L VPS that still powerful enough to take mobs down) but it's totally viable.
I did some Elder Guardians in white maps and also in some red ones (I did normal Elder but not Red Elder yet cuz I'm not very experienced about taking big bosses, this is my first time actually, I'm kinda noob yet haha).
It takes some time to kill them, you need patience and be alert to their movements, but you can do it quite easily.
In a couple of days, I'll record some videos to make a showcase of the build and how good it is with Normal Atziri at the moment and doing some T15 maps. And if I'm lucky enough and get a T16 map I'll record it.

Build looks just like something I'd like to make, so looking forward to the videos!

Thanks
"
Headsoup wrote:

Build looks just like something I'd like to make, so looking forward to the videos!

Thanks

I'll be recording some videos today if I can :) I play whenever I have time but I'll do it!
Thanks in taking your time reading my post :) I hope you're doing very well.
Video up, guys! Check it out!

Sorry for the video quality. I'll be doing another one better than this one.

T15 Reef Map. Full run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w_H98Z-6_o

Another run with an unpleasant death ¬_¬
T14 Dark Forest. Full run with random death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWIbZEKWwM

T12 Defiled Cathedral. Horrible video quality. Full run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meHTGFtn6Rk in this one Youtube f*cked up the video quality by, idk, A LOT. So, enjoy if you can (?)

Terrible fail facetanking Hydra, my god. Little bit drunk, sleepy and I facetanked the Hydra's Barrage attack, what a mess. A T16 run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_TYomLUYuQ
Last edited by Educmack on Dec 2, 2018, 9:54:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info