(New to POE) 741 hours in today (1st project=gut wrenching combat)

My deepest apologies, appears I'm still cleaning up after my drinking yesterday.

I do have ideas, they will be shared in a sober, structured fashion.
I'm still collecting information to determine viability of the effort on feature requests.

Edit:
Spoiler
(New to POE) Delve launch and 741 hours in today (1st project concept: No spam combat, slower, gut wrenching combat)

tldr; (i'm not typing all of this anyway)

combat is a bit spam button and hope you survive the early fights(new player) until you learn to breathe, aim, reave... nope did it again.

I'm not looking for "AFK builds" it's like ordering "Blue Waffle", No! don't type that into.... nvm...

No, no, I'm just stating that I like POE, some things could be different, not necessarily better I like that it's different.

Hoping for some crowdfunding of sorts (not money..., knowledge!).

Want to build something special for myself.
Melee type, with screen shaking when it needs to, not on every molten ball strike. Maybe one day this build could be famous and make me a 2 handed heavy shield with shoulder charge for those not behind a shield, or a mock strike that feigns attack which allows natural crits from Retaliate or other triggers.

I know this isn't here now, doesn't mean it wouldn't help melee be fun again some day. Until then, I'm looking for tid bits like:
-increasing zoom out registry entries,
-config modifiers
-anything that I might abuse to detail and maybe slower instance rate to have more focus on close murderous combat
-reactions to actions of a miss-step because you tried a spam wtfe...
seeing as it's based on instances there might be a way to set certain parameters, not explicitly as you spam button hoggers will use it for eavelilller... more more more more morm eo mroemroe.

anyway 1 exalt for direct ear of developers - LOL...not! sold already.

"put us in touch with coders and we'll have content for days."
--which one of you said that?--
Last edited by nanophobe on Nov 1, 2018, 10:59:11 AM
Last bumped on Dec 4, 2018, 5:27:49 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I'm sorry and I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but I have no idea what you're saying.

Do you want that sort of thing added to PoE because you think it doesn't exist or do you want help making a build like that in the current version?

And I still don't know entirely what "that" is.
I read it 3 times... I should have made a coffee instead.

This pretty much sums up my understanding thus far.
"
you spam button hoggers will use it for eavelilller... more more more more morm eo mroemroe.
Congratulations, you have been accepted to the balance team!
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
If you want a melee-like character that can allow you do to most content, Gladiator could be a good choice I think, block is powerful, you could take any 1h weapon and any skill and could go somewhere with it.
It can get pretty tanky and use on block mechanics, which I find pretty cool.

You can get amazing gloves for clear speed on gladiator too ( Haemophilia ).

If you want something more exotic ... that would be from the other side of the three imo, but then it's more difficult, and you can do pretty much anything you want.

If I misunderstood the topic, then mb.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
If you want a melee-like character that can allow you do to most content, Gladiator could be a good choice I think, block is powerful, you could take any 1h weapon and any skill and could go somewhere with it.
It can get pretty tanky and use on block mechanics, which I find pretty cool.

You can get amazing gloves for clear speed on gladiator too ( Haemophilia ).

If you want something more exotic ... that would be from the other side of the three imo, but then it's more difficult, and you can do pretty much anything you want.

If I misunderstood the topic, then mb.

Thank you. Currently using Gladiator. I like the block part too, so much I'm seeing where I can go not evading either just block and armor, would like to go without dodge too if I could endure such brutality.

Just give a more melee fight feel.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
nanophobe wrote:

Just give a more melee fight feel.

I feel your pain. I've been here since close to the beginning and melee has just declined the whole way. Not necessarily in terms of build viability but in terms of feel, as you put it. I just don't think it's a particularly high priority for the devs when a standard meta-game build is clearing a screen at a time with a click or two. How do you even approach 'melee' when your game has reached that level of disconnect?

Simple: you don't. You apply the tag 'melee' to skills that are, very optimistically, sort-of-melee and very, very effective, so that no one can complain that melee is 'broken' or 'pointless'. But after all this and all this feedback, I've decided it's just not worth discussing anymore. There are other games out there more rigorously built for visceral melee combat. Even within the ARPG genre, although the game I consider the pinnacle for great ARPG melee combat is still in alpha/beta, and there's every chance those devs might drop the ball too.

That said, the revised Elemental Hit is a pretty damn good melee skill. Built in close-quarters AoE, innate damage scaling so you don't have to burn many passive points on weapon damage, excellent status ailment secondary effects...my top character this league is a melee Elementalist with EHit.

But once she gets rolling, even she's clearing packs with a single click and it's only melee because she's wielding two swords and swinging them to initiate the massacre. Once that happens, I get bored and start a new character. I'm infamous for this approach, because 'melee' as I define it just falls off around level 70-75 or so. If your build isn't vapourising crowds by then, you're really pushing shit uphill naked in the snow both ways.

Your link to "the other one" is saved, WOW! didn't even know about it. Stopped gaming after 8 years in WOW and/or marriage, now I'm heading towards gaming like I'm on fire.

I'm happy with creating new toons, I have 4 /5 already and started POE with delve.

Maybe we can simulate intense combat.
Was hoping there is a feature to adjust speed of your instance, to slow melee down, or if you play melee it slowed for that "eehk" feeling as you see the opponent reveal his <showstopper> off hand and you had to leave the shield...

Anyway, regarding simulating grueling combat... how hard is just for fun currently I'm using mostly melee skills, Reave / Dual Strike and a backup Frost Blades buffed to try recover. Hit vaal outpost in mine unprepared 69 deep with lvl 82 assassin, in melee... ye should be easy, i know but I'm testing melee and my backup was "dismantled" at that moment to borrow between skills.

I'm even considering going SSF and just deleting it when it dies, just as punishment for not using the 2link killer spam.
Should maybe start nmelee simulators guild... sounds like work, explaining what melee should feel like.
So I did it, fun with learning so many new things.

Pastebin link should one wish to look: https://pastebin.com/pNkLB0er

Nowhere near complete, but I'll play another gladiator in Betrayal.
Might even duplicate an existing build ...

Simple answer?
Spoiler
tree search for
"
block
and go for the dual wield ones.
I have read on many builds stating 75 max or so, I had an 82 block at some point. Granted no life nor backup for IF block fails, but lasted ok.

Ascension I'd got for this sequence else you can block but takes ages to kill:
1) Painforged
2) Blood in the eyes
3) Gratuitous Violence
4) Versatile Combat for spell block (duh, this does not block fire / caustic acid on ground, don't stand in it...)

with so much block and desire for melee, I used Cleave, dual strike, double strike, static strike (not so much melee imho) with leap for shortcuts over things and flicker strike as it's available for chaos of combat emulation experience, even forced my DELVE into darkness...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info