How to know when a jewel has good mods and value?

Hello, new player here!

What i enjoy the most about the game is crafting, with fossils or just alts.

Recently i've started crafting jewels, some sell fine but others don't sell at all even though it seems it has good mods.

I'm asking everyone if there's a way to know when a jewel has good mods that people would buy for decent amounts (1ex and up). I'm asking this because there are many many builds, and i really don't understand what's in meta and what isn't, and sometimes thing that aren't meta could sell.

When i craft a jewel that seems good, all i got is poe trade, where i can see what other jewels with those mods are listed for, but:

-Sometimes there are no results, that means no1 sells it, or everyone buys it?
-When there are many jewels that have been listed for 1+ weeks but for high prices, is that a good reference?
-Are there any mods that instantly increase value in a jewel? I know Life always does, but are there more?

What i really have in mind is TERA's auction house Trade History. You could look up an item and see when it was sold, and by how much. So if you got something that's been sold many times in 1 day, then you know it's good, but other very expensive items would sell every 2 or 3 days, and some wouldn't even have a history, because they don't even sell.

Thanks everyone, i hope i made myself clear!

Last bumped on Oct 3, 2018, 7:54:58 PM
link the item and ask for pc
use ctrl + d on it
search for similar items on poe.trade
"
Ury401 wrote:
...I'm asking everyone if there's a way to know when a jewel has good mods that people would buy for decent amounts (1ex and up). I'm asking this because there are many many builds, and i really don't understand what's in meta and what isn't, and sometimes thing that aren't meta could sell.

When i craft a jewel that seems good, all i got is poe trade, where i can see what other jewels with those mods are listed for, but:...

Know what the popular builds are and what they want. (Check the popular POE Youtuber build lists, then check their builds for "required/desired" jewels.)

Jewels with affixes you can't easily get, or get at all, anywhere else that also have complimenting affixes for that one or supporting affixes for related abilities. Check poedb.tw for Affix lists for Jewels. For instance, a high percentage to "hinder," cast speed, + spell damage/added elemental/penetration/etc and a leech would be a nice gem for a caster.

Gems that have non-complimentary affixes are busts. A bonus while equipping a shield with a bonus to a bow skill would be half the affixes wasted.

Item level is important. You might have a busted gem and you don't feel like throwing more mats at it, but if it has a high item level then someone else might. Check for desirable affixes and compare them to the ilevel of the gem you're working on in order to maximize its saleability.
"
dvasan wrote:
link the item and ask for pc

ugh. No. go to poe trade and look for similar. Nothing worse than people that want work done for them /want their hand held.
"
Morkonan wrote:
"
Ury401 wrote:
...I'm asking everyone if there's a way to know when a jewel has good mods that people would buy for decent amounts (1ex and up). I'm asking this because there are many many builds, and i really don't understand what's in meta and what isn't, and sometimes thing that aren't meta could sell.

When i craft a jewel that seems good, all i got is poe trade, where i can see what other jewels with those mods are listed for, but:...

Know what the popular builds are and what they want. (Check the popular POE Youtuber build lists, then check their builds for "required/desired" jewels.)

Jewels with affixes you can't easily get, or get at all, anywhere else that also have complimenting affixes for that one or supporting affixes for related abilities. Check poedb.tw for Affix lists for Jewels. For instance, a high percentage to "hinder," cast speed, + spell damage/added elemental/penetration/etc and a leech would be a nice gem for a caster.

Gems that have non-complimentary affixes are busts. A bonus while equipping a shield with a bonus to a bow skill would be half the affixes wasted.

Item level is important. You might have a busted gem and you don't feel like throwing more mats at it, but if it has a high item level then someone else might. Check for desirable affixes and compare them to the ilevel of the gem you're working on in order to maximize its saleability.

Thank you!

Thats a good idea, looking up popular builds and their required jewels.

I do always craft on 80+ ilvl of jeewls, i'm going to look up the affixes as you said.

The thing with looking up stuff in Poe Trade is that it's not very accurate for me, specially the time an item has been listed. I could find a jewel that i crafted that might be expensive, but then i see they were listed for many days or weeks, and i assume it's because no1 buys it, but it might be because it works on very few builds or just takes time to sell for being expensive.

I can find the jewel affixes, but is there a way to order them by rarity, usefulness, or as you say, the most desireble affixes?
It's mainly about versatility and popular builds.
Anything specific to 2H or especially staves is going to be pretty low value due to being unpopular. Bows, swords and axes are usually good mods. Maces might be doing better than usual with the new consecrate path. Not sure about attack mods for claws and daggers, they're pretty rare outside of molten strike builds. KB seems to be out of favor so wand damage mods not that valuable.

As you mentioned, high flat life or %inc. life are the best.
#2 is any type of crit multi, global being best but 1H, bow or spellcasting also very valuable.
After that, just valuable combos for the same type (like 3 sword, melee, or physical mods + life).
For elemental damage types on abyss jewels, look for high rolls on the same element, lightning and cold are especially valuable, but I think ele-hit builds can use high rolls on any type.
Since blade vortex builds are very popular right now, high rolls on phys damage to spells are also quite valuable.

Generally defensive mods are not highly valued in most situations.

Certain on hit modifiers like onslaught, blind, phasing or unholy might can be pretty good if paired with other good rolls, although I think these are undervalued by the market generally. (hardcore market may differ here)

Your best bet is learn how to use the filters on poe.trade for jewels. The 'count' filter is incredible for jewels. You can do a search for life + (count 2+) of good mods for a certain build type to get a feel for the market. It takes time to set up a good filter ruleset since lots of builds can have 30+ useful mods (for example: all global, sword, melee, flat phys and dual wield mods would be good for a phys dps character dual wielding swords). Bonus - you can also find some incredible deals this way.

If you can't find a comparable jewel chances are you are making your search too specific. Just because you can't find a jewel with life, mana regen, block chance and 2H stave damage on the market doesn't mean it's valuable. Or maybe your jewel really is that good!
Anything with %life + damage mod + x is sellable for 5c+ if this damage type is played at all.

Life + 2 damage mods (that do not contradict each other) is already good value (20c+).

Add another damage mod or resist and you will make a ton of money (ex+).

The strongest damage mods are high attack speed (bound to a weapon type) and of course crit multi (bound to all sorts of stuff).

The more generic attack speed rolls are a bit low, the %damage rolls all feel same. But they are easy to combine into something helpful (almost every build likes %damage, %area damage etc).

Jewels without life need to compensate for that with a better alignment of damage stats, I don't bother selling "below 3 good dps affix" jewels without life.

On abyss jewels, it's both mods and mod tiers. Tier 1/2 rolls sell for a lot. I usually only check for "lots of flat damage and high tier life", with onslaught /blind etc as icing on the cake.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
about the meta build
check:
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds

you can have a look of what type of items are most used (like bow) or skill (like blade vortex or arc) etc
I want to thank everyone for the time invested in answering, i'm gathering so much useful information!

"
Zidly wrote:
It's mainly about versatility and popular builds.
Anything specific to 2H or especially staves is going to be pretty low value due to being unpopular. Bows, swords and axes are usually good mods. Maces might be doing better than usual with the new consecrate path. Not sure about attack mods for claws and daggers, they're pretty rare outside of molten strike builds. KB seems to be out of favor so wand damage mods not that valuable.

As you mentioned, high flat life or %inc. life are the best.
#2 is any type of crit multi, global being best but 1H, bow or spellcasting also very valuable.
After that, just valuable combos for the same type (like 3 sword, melee, or physical mods + life).
For elemental damage types on abyss jewels, look for high rolls on the same element, lightning and cold are especially valuable, but I think ele-hit builds can use high rolls on any type.
Since blade vortex builds are very popular right now, high rolls on phys damage to spells are also quite valuable.

Generally defensive mods are not highly valued in most situations.

Certain on hit modifiers like onslaught, blind, phasing or unholy might can be pretty good if paired with other good rolls, although I think these are undervalued by the market generally. (hardcore market may differ here)

Your best bet is learn how to use the filters on poe.trade for jewels. The 'count' filter is incredible for jewels. You can do a search for life + (count 2+) of good mods for a certain build type to get a feel for the market. It takes time to set up a good filter ruleset since lots of builds can have 30+ useful mods (for example: all global, sword, melee, flat phys and dual wield mods would be good for a phys dps character dual wielding swords). Bonus - you can also find some incredible deals this way.

If you can't find a comparable jewel chances are you are making your search too specific. Just because you can't find a jewel with life, mana regen, block chance and 2H stave damage on the market doesn't mean it's valuable. Or maybe your jewel really is that good!

Thank you so much!

I wouldn't have guessed that phys to spells was good.

I'm goign to give #1 priority to life rolls and crit, paired with the damage rolls you mentioned.

"
Peterlerock wrote:
Anything with %life + damage mod + x is sellable for 5c+ if this damage type is played at all.

Life + 2 damage mods (that do not contradict each other) is already good value (20c+).

Add another damage mod or resist and you will make a ton of money (ex+).

The strongest damage mods are high attack speed (bound to a weapon type) and of course crit multi (bound to all sorts of stuff).

The more generic attack speed rolls are a bit low, the %damage rolls all feel same. But they are easy to combine into something helpful (almost every build likes %damage, %area damage etc).

Jewels without life need to compensate for that with a better alignment of damage stats, I don't bother selling "below 3 good dps affix" jewels without life.

On abyss jewels, it's both mods and mod tiers. Tier 1/2 rolls sell for a lot. I usually only check for "lots of flat damage and high tier life", with onslaught /blind etc as icing on the cake.

I see, so very good t1 damage mods with no life might be useful and good too. I wasn't taking into consideration attack spped, ofcourse that adds damage!

"
ThoryX wrote:
about the meta build
check:
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds

you can have a look of what type of items are most used (like bow) or skill (like blade vortex or arc) etc

Didn't know about that section of that website, thank you, will sure help me out!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info