Why do so many people waste their time making troll item listings?

Every league, you see hundreds of people making all kinds of troll item listings.

White maps being listed for 10c or even 10ex.

Sellers listing items that just go "lol not sellig just listing for fun xdddd" when messaged (or who never reply, even though the official POE site shows they arent afk 3 hours later)

Sellers who demand you make an offer then flip out when its not 10x the average price.

People listing dozens of some unpopular map like shaped spider lair at ridiculous prices and hoarding them like crazy because they refuse to lower the price to match reality.

I mean...all of this obviously takes significant amounts of time and effort to list...why do people even bother...this would be fascinating material for psychology researchers. Hard to imagine someone just sitting at their computer snickering to themselves "oh boy i bet NOBODY is going to buy my item today!!! I am sooo awesome!!!".
Last bumped on Jul 24, 2018, 10:39:53 AM
Who cares don't even give it another thought. Skip em and move on
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
"
all of this obviously takes significant amounts of time and effort to list

Heres the thing -- this statement is completely wrong. it takes seconds to toss an item into a premium tab and set a dumb price. For multiple items, you can even set the whole tab at a ridiculous price.
I can go into standard right now, and list a full tab of junk items for 1ex each, and be back in 2 minutes. Maps are even faster because it's a premium tab. there is almost NO time invested in listing items for sale.

and people are OK with listing an item for weeks, because there's always a chance someone buys that garbage item for waaay more than it's worth.

Now, the TRADE CHAT spam i find hilarious. people trying to get 1ex for garbage uniques, in there actively spamming over top of each other, never selling anything. i feel bad for the people that dont know about the trade websites.
Last edited by Thror2k5 on Jul 22, 2018, 10:19:17 PM
I think that in a game like this, that encourages player interaction like it does, you will get that kind of stuff. It simply happens. It's dumb, it lowers the quality of the game, and has very little purpose other then titillating an emotionally immature teen for a few seconds. but It exists in just about every game I play in one form or another.

The Best (and actually easiest) solution is to simply ignore the behavior. In this case, disregard the crazy prices, as well as the ones with no price. I never engage in a trade that doesn't have a buyout price, and my poe trade is set up to filter for cheapest first, So it's easy to tell which ones are priced reasonably.

They don't impact my life, and eventually they go away. problem solved.
I think the "trolls" or "price fixers" just wanna make some easy currency and scam new players.

Its hard for new players to know the value of all things in the game.

Sad but true!
GamingNorth on Youtube!
Headhunter drop during Legion! After 4711 hours!
Well, at least occasionally it's an accident. Earlier this month I listed transmute orbs, portal scrolls, jewelers and chromes for 20 chaos each. I just shift clicked them from my inventory to my 20 chaos sales tab instead of my currency tab. Oddly, I got no takers.
"
Thror2k5 wrote:

Now, the TRADE CHAT spam i find hilarious. people trying to get 1ex for garbage uniques, in there actively spamming over top of each other, never selling anything. i feel bad for the people that dont know about the trade websites.

I discovered poe.trade before I ever saw a line out of trade chat. From previous MMO experience, I figured it was wise to disable the channel. The first time I saw it I was amazed people even bothered, particularly the folks trying to sell 6 sockets at 6link prices. If it wasn't that it was usually someone trying to get better than market value on currency conversion.

Yep, totally over league play.
"
Question2 wrote:

Well 10c might be that baseline price where that particular seller is interesting in stopping their map, portal out, and make a single map trade. If you sell maps odds are 90% and up are always going to be a single map sale. Every now and then, you'll get people wanting things in bulk. While 10c is a bit high, 1-2C maps can be quite a nice little buff to your chaos income. If for nothing else it's extra map mods.
"
jack_aubrey wrote:
"
Question2 wrote:

Well 10c might be that baseline price where that particular seller is interesting in stopping their map, portal out, and make a single map trade. If you sell maps odds are 90% and up are always going to be a single map sale. Every now and then, you'll get people wanting things in bulk. While 10c is a bit high, 1-2C maps can be quite a nice little buff to your chaos income. If for nothing else it's extra map mods.

Good point. After a while, when I've got some currency and not scrounging for a few chaos, I just stop listing things for 1 or 2c. It's a bit unfortunate how crap the trade system can be, because buying leveling gear or lower tier maps can be intensely frustrating. Nobody sells because it's just not worth their time.
"
jack_aubrey wrote:
"
Question2 wrote:

And the baseline price for someone like warren buffet to sell an item on ebay is probably ridiculously high, but he deals with it by not putting troll listings up on ebay...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info