Tearing Reality Apart. KB/Barrage Trapper. ALL CONTENT! Fast!, Strong!, tanky-ish & and pretty!

Uber elder pic (it wasn't deathless. but it can be :P depends on you):

*Saboteur version * - for questions. it's literally the same guide.

I was told that KB works as a miner or wander. Well prepare to be amazed! traps are better than ever and KB is no different.

I always wanted to play KB. Especially with the new celestial MTX. It's just so damn pretty! However, all the KB guides are speed farmers of HH belts on a deadeye for speed. they have meh amount of life, a lot of speed and pretty bad single target damage (and you need to use knock back shenanigans or face tank with barrage in melee range).

I was set on making a build that will use KB and be able to do all content. The new traps introduced in 3.3 provided the perfect opportunity to do this. With no cool down, not needing to be in melee range (because the traps are and thus getting the point blank modifier), and creating around 40 projectiles of KB per throw. The result is crazy clear (much better than arc), amazing single target and the satisfaction of seeing reality being shred to bits by our celestial mtx.

How does it work and what can it do?
Spoiler

Mechanics - Basically we throw 1 time per screen and it blows up the entire screen. we use KB on shaper gloves and barrage on armor. Each KB throw will have 5 traps, each shooting 6-8 projectiles per trap. so around 30-40 projectiles per throw. That pierce - because Scion Dead eye.

How to trigger?
You do not need to be a Saboteur in order to be a trapper. and you do not need a sunblast as well. It all depends on the skill you're using. If I were using arc, I would have used the sunblast belt since Arc will aim. In this build, we use 1 perfect Hair Trigger jewel to get to 210% trap trigger area of effect. which is enough. Note that I did level as sunblast since it was fun and easy. Just try and decide what you prefer to do.

Single Target- We use Barrage on a 6L. It simply melts everything. You can also use a chin sol bow on weapon swap before you have really really good jewels. But at some point it's just a good quality of life to have it all on 1 set up.
We run Anger and Wrath since we don't need available mana and we run a Watchers eye with both anger and wrath mods (which isn't expensive since who the hell runs Anger AND Wrath at the same time :)
If you go the chinsol route, you can also do Blast rain or shrapnel shot but I found barrage to be the best. I will note here that the current set up (which is expensive but NOT mandatory) kills T16/shaper/elder in literally seconds. It's not that it CAN do it. It's very good at doing it.

Clearing - the clearing is limited only by the amount of speed you have. 1 throw will clear anything including rares and blues from T16 maps. At first I used a sunblast but removed it in end game.

Defense - We have a fairly nice amount of life 6.2K currently without biscos. We have blind (very nice against bosses) and we have 20% life regen + Life recovery per trap triggered (from tinkerskin). we also run CWDT enfeeble and we just have the safety of killing everything so fast and several screens away since KB continues on to the next pack by itself. We have wise oak with lightning and cold balanced as the lowest and fire as the highest while dying sun is active.
Note that I use Biscos since my amulet doesn't change my resistances at all thus making wise oak still viable. Lastly, I run a vaal grace and we only have this vaal skill. Basically, while it's on (increased duration = 10 seconds) you are unlikely to die and can face tank almost anything.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler

Pros
Can run any map mod (might need to switch a flask for no regen maps. but it's possible)
Acrobatics + Blind
Shattering with cold damage
Clears screens away with the piercing KB projectiles
High Regen + life gained on trap triggered.
Can be a starter. can be cheap. can scale very very well with moneyz

Cons
No movement skill except flame dash. But you can use QotF variation (see below)
No leech - but we do have life recovered on trap triggered.
Expensive if you want to do REALLY high damage.
Not the most tanky build in the game

Videos, Ascendancy options & POB Links
Spoiler

POB My Current set up - Scion.
POB My Current set up - Saboteur.

Minotaur(Flasks weren't up cause I suck at flask management :)

Shaper
Elder underground sea

Shaped waste pool

I have my own loot filter that has unique colors and sounds for currency :) you can hear the shaper say "Chaos Orb!" when it drops and so on. Msg me if you want it.

Ascendancy and tree choices

Why you no saboteur?!
I wanted to play a scion. A saboteur will do just as well, probably better. You miss out on pierce and 1 projectile, but gain penetration (we don't take chain reaction) and a lot of damage per trap along with elemental penetration, you also gain less damage taken from blinded enemies and perma blind. You will miss out on Quality of Life from scion Life nodes and all res, plus a jewel or 2, you will also want to pick up the pierce nodes on the tree for 3 points.

MoM? - Possible. You can use MoM since we're already there. But you will need to give up a ring slot for Essence Worm and an Aura and you will need a mana flask since we are not exactly mana oriented and can't leech (Thanks Tencent!). It will be safer for sure.

Bandits:
Alira

Pantheon:
Major: Soul of the Brine King
Minor: Soul of Ryslatha

Enchantments:
Helmet: Barrage arrow if you can. maybe KB if you can't afford barrage.
Boots: 120% crit, flast lightning, or Ele Pen.

Ascendancy:
For scion: Saboteur -> Deadeye (merciless) -> shadow starting zone (uber)
For Saboteur: pyromaniac -> born in the shadows -> Perfect crime -> Explosives Expert
Note that saboteur you can take whatever you want first. i just like not dying while leveling.

My Current Gear
Spoiler

Some notes on other variations of gear
Spoiler

- SPEEEEEED - you can switch Tinker Skin with QotF. You will need to manage mana with a flask and maybe run Grace. You do not need the aura damage for fast clearing.

- Chin Sol - you can use a 6L bow on weapon swap. and then you can have a 6L KB on armor

- Wand - In theory, a very very good wand will be better than the
, but it will need to be very good since this one has a corruption that is very strong.

- Kaoms - You can use Kaom if you need more life. just swap to chin sol for single target.

Moneyz, budget, GG gear ceiling and league starter variations
Spoiler

GG gear ceiling - As all attacker based chars, the ceiling of gg gear is higher than spells. That's why this will be faster and stronger than say ARC or lightning spire builds IF you have the funds. I don't even have gg jewels yet. just 2 damage mods and life ones.

League Starter - This build was not my league starter. I am a serial build swapper. I make a new char every week or 2. but that's how I make money. You CAN start with this, and upgrade it bit by bit. KB is very strong and will carry you to end game on a 4L. 1 damage jewels are very cheap. Most of the damage comes from Jewels and Auras. And finally you have a variety of single target skills you can use: Barrage, blast rain, Shrapnel Shot (with 2 jewels). And basically traps by themselves just make great boss killers due to the pre loading (look at the shaper video).

What to invest in first? - Always keep a live search going for abyss jewels that add elemental damage to attacks, and damage with wands/bows (if you're using chin sol variations). Start off with just generic elemental damage to attacks.

Get a Piscator's Vigil. Get a Tinker skin, 4-5 Links are enough to start with. Gloves with +1 traps thrown are very very good. try to get those asap. you can get cheap ones with no life/res to start with.
Until you get the gloves, you can use the Deerstalker boots for your KB.

Light poacher is a must (Abyss jewels op) - the enchant is NOT a must.

Do I really need barrage?
Spoiler

For incursions/sewer/maps with lots of walls, you don't need barrage at all. The KB will 1 shot everything and the boss is no different.
You can always use a barrage + knock back set up to push the monster against a wall and then us the KB traps.

For end game, yes, you need a single target skill. I made the build in order to do high level content

Leveling?
Spoiler

If you go the shadow version, I would level as the actual build. Trapper. pick something. everything works. arc, KB, ROA, GC. I would stick to KB. it's just fun. Arc will be stronger while leveling (but not by a lot)

If you go scion, I would recommend using Poets/bow leveling, but a trapper also works. start as a scion and get to the shadow zone asap.

ign: pikachu_i_choose_you
Last edited by kudaranai on Jul 13, 2018, 9:36:58 AM
Last bumped on Jul 13, 2018, 9:15:39 AM
FIRST!!!!!!! OMG I LOVE YOUR BUILD <33333333
I've killed U.E as Arc Trap and EH trap this league as Sab, this may be the 3rd build I'd attempt U.E with :) Only want to play trapper this league, thou, tbh, really bored of the game already :)
Can you (or anyone who plays this build as a Sab) do 1 quick test for me? Try pack clear with Gloomfang. I have a lvl95 Sab ready, and cbf leveling a scion and do labs for ascendancy again (I swear not to step into that place ever again, sick of it)
Thanks in advance!
Btw, did all your traps triggered in Minataur fight? Boss dps is on the low-side in that fight :|
Last edited by koros on Jul 11, 2018, 12:51:25 AM
"
koros wrote:
I've killed U.E as Arc Trap and EH trap this league as Sab, this may be the 3rd build I'd attempt U.E with :) Only want to play trapper this league, thou, tbh, really bored of the game already :)
Can you (or anyone who plays this build as a Sab) do 1 quick test for me? Try pack clear with Gloomfang. I have a lvl95 Sab ready, and cbf leveling a scion and do labs for ascendancy again (I swear not to step into that place ever again, sick of it)
Thanks in advance!
Btw, did all your traps triggered in Minataur fight? Boss dps is on the low-side in that fight :|

I wrote that all flasks didnt work in mino fight :) its the same items as the other videos. you can see the damage is very high. i did mino correctly (with no + life mods) and it went down in literally 3 seconds.
I have a saba, i might be able to check this.
"
kudaranai wrote:

I wrote that all flasks didnt work in mino fight :) its the same items as the other videos. you can see the damage is very high. i did mino correctly (with no + life mods) and it went down in literally 3 seconds.
I have a saba, i might be able to check this.

It would be nice if you could check that!
Btw, have you attempt Uber Elder with this build? 5k5+ EHP and that DPS should be more than enough for it, imo.
And what will it be like without Dying Sun? I just don't want another button to press and another flask to look at :)
I killed uber elder. not deathless but it died :)
without dying sun it will just be less damage. wont affect the clear. it's not mandatory but its bis for damage.
if you lose the dying sun, you can balance all res easily and get more defense and offense.
nice build and nice guide! Saw a friend using it and trying myself now, very impressive,
Played with him plenty, and it's pretty GG. You should give it a go :)

Way more creative than Arc, 5/5.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
looks really nice :) now i must level a scion :P

I wanna buy a Cheap Watchers'eye which should i buy?

Last edited by perling on Jul 11, 2018, 9:08:21 PM
You can easily do it as saboteur as well :) it will probably be a bit better. just different QOL changes.

The watchers eye should be:
crit multi while affected by anger and crit strike/lightning pen while affected by wrath :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info