[3.3] Arc Trapper Build Guide

I've stopped using this build, there were much better ways of doing Arc Traps.
IGN: Arkon_Melee_LoL

https://www.twitch.tv/arkon9944
Last edited by arkon9944 on Jun 13, 2018, 3:02:08 PM
Last bumped on Jun 14, 2018, 3:03:48 AM
WHat about unstable payload jewel ? Is it good ?
I read in several places that tinkerskin + chain reaction are counterproductive. Only the traps triggered by enemeies (the first one in the chain count). Have you tested this? Thanks.
"
bagusaa wrote:
I read in several places that tinkerskin + chain reaction are counterproductive. Only the traps triggered by enemeies (the first one in the chain count). Have you tested this? Thanks.

I can confirm this to be true.

Tinkerskin reads "When enemies trigger your traps" just like the passives that provide frenzy and power charges on the tree. When Chain Reaction passive is enabled, it will take precedence over regular trap triggers, provided the traps are within Chain Reaction range (which is pretty big).

This means the result is one chance for a charge, 100 life and 50 ES is gain from a throw, despite it being supported by Cluster Traps.

The one thing that doesn't care about the above is the Pyromaniac passive. That will trigger regardless of how your traps go off, be it by enemies, expiration (Sunblast) or Chain Reaction.

For the reason above, I would strongly suggest any Saboteur trapper builds out there to go down the road of Explosive Expert instead, boasting slightly higher damage than Chain Reaction anyway, and putting focus on "Trap Trigger AOE" increases in the tree. If you have these nodes all enabled, it nets you 170% increased trap trigger AOE, which takes the 10 base radius up to 16, quite a boost. For a jewel slot, Hair Trigger specifically, you can increase that to at least 210% increased trigger AOE (that's the threshold for another +1 radius) to get it to 18 radius total.

Believe me, with that radius on traps, they will all trigger unless you literally throw them backwards, like my friend at the bowling alley. As a bonus, you get slightly higher damage and you will also get 100 life, 50 ES and the charges per trap ALWAYS, instead of per throw at best. (at best because you may throw multiple times before first goes off with enough throw speed, result would be even 'worse' for Tinkerskin)

Note: If you're really paranoid about those traps not triggering without Chain Reaction and you really want it anyway, or if you don't want to invest all those points in trigger radius:

A. I suggest you pick up the new Slavedriver gloves and use a Belly of the Beast instead. This gives Blood Magic to your traps, so you won't ever have mana issues, much like Tinkerskin, can use MoM safely and you get much more total life to boot. The life you spend for throwing traps is more than easily covered by your massive regen you get for, you guessed it, throwing traps anyway.

B. You could even go a step further, find a good staff instead of wands/daggers, 6L that to put your main trap in, and run Kaom's Heart for massive life boost. Max life is good on Sabo with 20% regen up 24/7 and shadow is life starved. Kaom's covers a giant flaw. Food for thought. :)

Note: A common misconception is that increases to area of effect also apply to trigger radius, it does not. Trigger radius doesn't actually have a generic "AOE" tag and is therefor seperate from all other increased AOE sources.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Jun 11, 2018, 7:45:13 AM
"
The only unique Jewel I would reccommend is a Hair Trigger. The only reason to use this is for the increased Trap Trigger Radius. It helps feed into your Tinkerskin and Pyromaniac. It seems counter-intuitive with Chain Reaction, however Chain Reaction checks 'second' after normal triggering. So by having Hair Trigger, your traps will be normally triggered first, then Chain Reaction will blow up the rest, giving you more Pyromanic life regen and Tinkerskin procs. Using this gem is completely personal preference.

This was easy to test, took about 20 seconds to do so. Using Eldritch Battery, run your energy shield completely out, throw a cluster of traps at a mob. You'll get more than 50 ES from Tinkerskin that you would expect if Chain Reaction popped all of the traps off of the first trap to trigger.

While there may be different chest options, Tinkerskin is definitely still viable and scales with the number of traps thrown per ability usage and trigger radius (as well as the hit box of the mob being fought). If you're going to use Tinkerskin and Pyromaniac, you definitely should use Hair Trigger. Consider it a survivability/QoL jewel with a some damage tagging along.
Last edited by Darkhelmetz on Jun 12, 2018, 2:09:24 AM
Only opened this build, because I was searching for "3.3 Arc Trapper" on Google. I have to say, you have to be a special daring kind of snowflake to make a build based on perfect mirror-tier gear and character level 100.

Please take this as criticism. If anything I write offends you, it means I'm hitting home.

Here is, on the top of my head, everything wrong with your build:

- mirror tier gear, yet doesn't even hit the necessary Strength
- level 100 is something most people will never see in their lives (in fact, you have no level 100 character yourself or even one remotely close to that feat)
- gems all upgraded to their corrupted best versions; again: no one is gonna have such good gear except for an elect 0.001% of the player-base... in Standard league.
- your Arc trapper in Incursion doesn't even use your proclaimed best Arc Saboteur build
- you base the numbers in your guide on these bloated PoB numbers to make it look "insane"
- you ticked Fortify with no source of Fortify
- minor: you ticked 'Burning'
- you don't even know how Shimmeron works. You use "Ball Lightning" in your CwDT-setup with flipping Shimmerons? Are you insane? That will instantly kill you due to Ball Lightning critting and giving you the mega-degen. This is a MAJOR flaw and shows you have no idea how your build works!

If I was someone new to Path of Exile looking for a useful guide to start my trapper on and found this like I did, over Google, I'd fall into a huge trap. Gladly, I'm not. For anyone who wants to see a more realistic approach to this particular build, I've changed the aforementioned PoB-link to a version that can be attained in a league, even by a casual player.

https://pastebin.com/U6vST1wM

My final piece of advice: if you're willing to help the community out by writing a guide, don't do this kind of crap ever again. It's horrible, has to be debunked and actually, you're around for long enough to know this already. Guides like yours are the reason for YouTube channels like Bullshit Builds: https://www.youtube.com/user/pavasiu ;)

Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Jun 13, 2018, 6:35:45 AM
So just a few things.

First off, I have abandoned this build a few days ago in favor of a different version of an Arc Trapper.

Secondly, about your post.

Perhaps if you opened your eyes and actually read the entire thing instead of just clicking links, you would have seen that I even put a disclaimer about the PoB numbers.

Also, this: "your Arc trapper in Incursion doesn't even use your proclaimed best Arc Saboteur build". Not really sure where I 'proclaimed' this to be the best Arc Saboteur guide, except maybe in your mind because you just wanna be a Beta Cuck and be an asshole.

Basically in your entire lengthy post filled with asshole comments and total douchebaggery, you made one point. One single sentance that would have turned your post from being insanely idiotic, to actually helpful. "you don't even know how Shimmeron works. You use "Ball Lightning" in your CwDT-setup with flipping Shimmerons". Thank you for pointing out a flaw in the build, you sir are easily the greatest and coolest person that has ever lived on the interwebs!
IGN: Arkon_Melee_LoL

https://www.twitch.tv/arkon9944
"
arkon9944 wrote:
So just a few things.

First off, I have abandoned this build a few days ago in favor of a different version of an Arc Trapper.

Secondly, about your post.

Perhaps if you opened your eyes and actually read the entire thing instead of just clicking links, you would have seen that I even put a disclaimer about the PoB numbers.

Also, this: "your Arc trapper in Incursion doesn't even use your proclaimed best Arc Saboteur build". Not really sure where I 'proclaimed' this to be the best Arc Saboteur guide, except maybe in your mind because you just wanna be a Beta Cuck and be an asshole.

Basically in your entire lengthy post filled with asshole comments and total douchebaggery, you made one point. One single sentance that would have turned your post from being insanely idiotic, to actually helpful. "you don't even know how Shimmeron works. You use "Ball Lightning" in your CwDT-setup with flipping Shimmerons". Thank you for pointing out a flaw in the build, you sir are easily the greatest and coolest person that has ever lived on the interwebs!

Sorry dude, but he's right on more than just one point. Guides based on lvl 100 characters are unrealistic and with that gear...?

Even Shimmerons itself is out of reach of the majority of players at 4ex or more each. Besides, they'd be much better off with a 6L first instead so they'd actually need almost 15ex to use Shimmerons.

Besides, they're overrated. You can reach the same damage numbers with good rolled rare weapons that wost you an arm and a leg and allow you to use ball/orb curses which makes it come out on top.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info