How Many Debuffs Can Contagion Spread?

How many debuffs can contagion spread?

I am running Wither on one totem and Blight on another totem while manually casting Contagion and Essence Drain. So, if an enemy dies while affected by all three debuffs (ED, Wither and Blight), do all three get spread by Contagion?
Last edited by Vince1961 on May 23, 2018, 5:20:26 PM
Last bumped on May 25, 2018, 3:16:43 PM
Read the descriptions carefully. Only ED is spread by Contagion.
The ED says it is spread by contagion. Blight and wither do not say that. Contagion says "it" is spread to other enemies when an enemy dies while affected by contagion. so, three questions:

1. What is the "it" that gets spread by contagion when an enemies dies while so affected?

2. If an enemy affected by contagion dies by a cause other than ED or contagion itself, what is spread?

3. Does ED spread to everything affected by contagion or to everything within a certain distance? I ask b/c I see enemies die from the contagion/ED combo when they were outside of the area of effect of contagion and were not hit by ED.
"
Vince1961 wrote:
1. What is the "it" that gets spread by contagion when an enemies dies while so affected?

When the description of a skill says 'it', this is referring to that skill.

Contagion's description says it [Contagion] is spread to other enemies.

Essence Drain's description says the debuff [ED's DoT] is spread by Contagion.

"
Vince1961 wrote:
2. If an enemy affected by contagion dies by a cause other than ED or contagion itself, what is spread?

What kills an enemy does not affect whether Contagion spreads debuffs.

The only thing that matters is whether an enemy was affected by Contagion (and Essence Drain) when they died. If they are unaffected by Contagion and Essence Drain when they die, they cannot at the time of death become affected by them and then spread them.

"
Vince1961 wrote:
3. Does ED spread to everything affected by contagion or to everything within a certain distance? I ask b/c I see enemies die from the contagion/ED combo when they were outside of the area of effect of contagion and were not hit by ED.

If an enemy affected by Contagion dies, Contagion will spread to nearby enemies. If that enemy is also affected by Essence Drain, then at the time of death, Contagion will also spread Essence Drain. This is the only time, and the only way, and the only debuffs which spread.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Contagion

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Essence_Drain
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Something that people isnt telling you about contagion/ed spreading mechanic as an occultist:

The ascendancy node "profane bloom" will slow your runs but make them safer.

When the enemies die from explosion they wont spread contagion everytime, they need to die from contagion or ed to spread, not from explosion.

So if you wanna keep those big chains of enemies dying off screen, dont take the node profane bloom as an occultist, or just play a trickster.

For example if you use an obliteration wand, the enemies will die from explosion most times and wont spread contagion everytime.

"Profane Bloom" or contagion spreading mechanic needs/should be tuned, that even when monsters die from explosion they spread contagion.

Or else it doesnt make sense to have profane bloom node on a chaos build witch.

It was a big let down when I picked Profane Bloom, the chains of enemies dying decreased drastically, because they would just explode and not spread contagion.
Last edited by stuncc on May 24, 2018, 2:38:00 PM
A while back I leveled up two characters doing the chaos route and just recently revisited them. One is a Templar ascended to Hierophant and the other is a Shadow ascended to Trickster. I've built them very different from each other with the Templar putting Wither and Blight on totems, 6 linking the ED, 4 linking the Contagion, both with increased duration support, and casting both manually. The Trickster manually channels Blight and 6-links it with ED, Contagion, Wither, Bladefall and Cast When Channeling Support. The Trickster's 4-link Viper Strike, with Carcass Jack & Bino's Kitchen Knife, turned out to be practically useless in comparison to the Blight/ED/Contagion/Wither/Bladefall combination.
Last edited by Vince1961 on May 24, 2018, 3:47:39 PM
"
stuncc wrote:
Something that people isnt telling you about contagion/ed spreading mechanic as an occultist

I explained this in the post prior to yours.

"
stuncc wrote:
When the enemies die from explosion they wont spread contagion everytime, they need to die from contagion or ed to spread, not from explosion.

This is incorrect.

The negative synergy between Profane Bloom and the Contagion mechanic exists due to the game being quicker to process the explosion than it is at spreading Contagion from a dead enemy.

Thus, this is the order in which the game processes it;

• An enemy dies.
  • That enemy has a chance to explode.
  • The game attempts to spread Contagion.

Profane Bloom deals damage equal to 25% of the enemy's maximum Life pool. Then it gets scaled by stuff like Chaos Damage modifiers (which ED characters tend to have...). It doesn't typically take four exploding enemies to kill something as you might think at first glance.

So, let's say that you have three zombies standing in a line. Zombie 1 is closest to your character, and Zombie 3 is furthest away. Only Zombie 1 is affected by Contagion and ED. The others need to get the DoTs through Contagion spreading them or will remain unaffected.

Here's how that works in practice;

• Zombie 1 dies, and Profane Bloom procs.
  • Zombie 2 dies from the Profane Bloom explosion.
  • Contagion attempts to spread from Zombie 1.
  • Zombie 2 is dead and cannot receive a DoT effect.
  • Zombie 3 is out of range, thus can't get it from Zombie 1.
  • Zombie 2 does not proc Profane Bloom, thus Zombie 3 survives.
  • Zombie 3 spends the next 5 years preying on innocent civilians.
  • Zombie 3 gets killed by some maniac in search of shiny loot.

Here's how most players would prefer that it worked;

• The game delays the explosion for a fraction of a second.
  • Zombie 1 spreads Essence Drain and Contagion to Zombie 2.
  • Zombie 1 explodes due to Profane Bloom.
  • Zombie 2 dies, and Profane Bloom does not proc.
  • Zombie 2 spreads Essence Drain and Contagion to Zombie 3.
  • Zombie 3 dies from the powerful Chaos DoT effects.
  • The civilians get accused of heresy, and are experimented on.
  • Some maniac kills the civilians, who are now Miscreations.

tl;dr: Enemies affected by Contagion and Essence Drain will spread those at the time of death, regardless of whether they are killed by Profane Bloom. However Contagion does not spread instantly, and if nearby enemies are killed too quickly, they will not get - and thus cannot spread - Contagion and Essence Drain. This is, unfortunately, not a bug.

(That said, it may be more of a "that's just how it works" kind of deal than specifically thought of and intended. It's possible GGG will change this in the future. I don't know if they will.)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
"
stuncc wrote:
Something that people isnt telling you about contagion/ed spreading mechanic as an occultist

I explained this in the post prior to yours.

"
stuncc wrote:

This is incorrect.

The negative synergy between Profane Bloom and the Contagion mechanic exists due to the game being quicker to process the explosion than it is at spreading Contagion from a dead enemy.

Thus, this is the order in which the game processes it;

• An enemy dies.
  • That enemy has a chance to explode.
  • The game attempts to spread Contagion.

Profane Bloom deals damage equal to 25% of the enemy's maximum Life pool. Then it gets scaled by stuff like Chaos Damage modifiers (which ED characters tend to have...). It doesn't typically take four exploding enemies to kill something as you might think at first glance.

So, let's say that you have three zombies standing in a line. Zombie 1 is closest to your character, and Zombie 3 is furthest away. Only Zombie 1 is affected by Contagion and ED. The others need to get the DoTs through Contagion spreading them or will remain unaffected.

Here's how that works in practice;

• Zombie 2 dies from the Profane Bloom explosion.
  • Contagion attempts to spread from Zombie 1.
  • Zombie 2 is dead and cannot receive a DoT effect.
  • Zombie 3 is out of range, thus can't get it from Zombie 1.
  • Zombie 2 does not proc Profane Bloom, thus Zombie 3 survives.
  • Zombie 3 spends the next 5 years preying on innocent civilians.
  • Zombie 3 gets killed by some maniac in search of shiny loot.

Here's how most players would prefer that it worked;

• The game delays the explosion for a fraction of a second.
  • Zombie 1 spreads Essence Drain and Contagion to Zombie 2.
  • Zombie 1 explodes due to Profane Bloom.
  • Zombie 2 dies, and Profane Bloom does not proc.
  • Zombie 2 spreads Essence Drain and Contagion to Zombie 3.
  • Zombie 3 dies from the powerful Chaos DoT effects.
  • The civilians get accused of heresy, and are experimented on.
  • Some maniac kills the civilians, who are now Miscreations.

tl;dr: Enemies affected by Contagion and Essence Drain will spread those at the time of death, regardless of whether they are killed by Profane Bloom. However Contagion does not spread instantly, and if nearby enemies are killed too quickly, they will not get - and thus cannot spread - Contagion and Essence Drain. This is, unfortunately, not a bug.

(That said, it may be more of a "that's just how it works" kind of deal than specifically thought of and intended. It's possible GGG will change this in the future. I don't know if they will.)

Well thanks for being specific on why it happens, honestly didnt know, as I noticed a much smaller spread after profane bloom.

But it doesnt mean that it should work like that,.. the process should account for the existent spreading effect before the explosion.

Or else what is the point if profane bloom denies contagion/ed synergy?

Makes no sense. This should be tuned/changed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info