Labyrinth not having checkpoints still sucks

Ideas for GGG to consider if they'd like lab to ever lose the label "most hated part of the game":

1. If you design rogue-like or rogue-like content, then make any obvious "slow characters down" content compelling and fun, as well as organic to the situation (ie: at least make the lore make sense if you're going to be obvious about slowing characters down). This applies to quite a few elements in lab, including but not limited to the nature of a large, multi-zone maze, trap gauntlets, mobs scattered around the place, and the rewards distributed all over lab.

2. If you design content to be fully explored, then don't require that it be done without exiting the area or the game. 'Nuf said on this.

Don't expect players playing an online-only game to be overly eager to explore all the nooks and crannies of rogue-like or rogue-lite content when they're playing with an uncertain amount of time available before a disconnect is likely to occur.

This should be obvious. Why is it not obvious? Why has it not changed? When will it change?
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last bumped on Apr 29, 2018, 5:23:02 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I've said it a million times too. Limited portals for a map and not being able to leave labyrinth doesn't affect any good players, it only hurts your average player and thus brings less people to the game honestly. It's utterly pointless.
I don't like having checkpoints in Lab.

I would rather have character to reconnect directly into Lab in case of connection loss or game crash. It happened with me couple of times and it's very upsetting when you're doing full run, have bonus treasure keys and double enchant shrine, and then game's crashing when you entering one of last rooms.

"

Don't expect players playing an online-only game to be overly eager to explore all the nooks and crannies of rogue-like or rogue-lite content when they're playing with an uncertain amount of time available before a disconnect is likely to occur.

This should be obvious. Why is it not obvious? Why has it not changed? When will it change?

When something like this seems completely obvious, but hasn't changed, I find it very useful to ask myself why that could be - is there something I am missing in this picture that explains what is going on?

To help you out, in this case the answer to that is simple: "most players" never experience disconnections, so they can play through the lab in a single run without even the faintest hint of concern about being disconnected.

Given that, there is no compelling technical reason for GGG to add checkpoints because of disconnects: it doesn't help most players at all, because it solves a problem they simply don't have.

Also, it doesn't really help players who suffer them with anything other than the outright disconnection, since they can still die to traps, enemies, etc, if the root cause of the disconnects - network trouble, in about 7 in 10 cases - just causes them to lag out at the wrong moment, and stand in a trap, or a smash attack, or whatever.

So, there you go. You asked why this has not changed, and that is why. Enjoy.
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:

When something like this seems completely obvious, but hasn't changed, I find it very useful to ask myself why that could be - is there something I am missing in this picture that explains what is going on?

To help you out, in this case the answer to that is simple: "most players" never experience disconnections, so they can play through the lab in a single run without even the faintest hint of concern about being disconnected.

Given that, there is no compelling technical reason for GGG to add checkpoints because of disconnects: it doesn't help most players at all, because it solves a problem they simply don't have.

Also, it doesn't really help players who suffer them with anything other than the outright disconnection, since they can still die to traps, enemies, etc, if the root cause of the disconnects - network trouble, in about 7 in 10 cases - just causes them to lag out at the wrong moment, and stand in a trap, or a smash attack, or whatever.

So, there you go. You asked why this has not changed, and that is why. Enjoy.
Is the statement "Most players never experience disconnections" a hypothesis or a fact? What's the source if you're asserting that's a fact?

An alternative hypothesis could be that disconnects and game crashes affect most or even virtually all players (or a sizable enough minority for GGG to think about), but that GGG figures players won't get overly discouraged or frustrated if the occasional run ends with the game crashing or a disconnect.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Apr 29, 2018, 3:09:25 PM
"
fwd wrote:
I don't like having checkpoints in Lab.

I would rather have character to reconnect directly into Lab in case of connection loss or game crash. It happened with me couple of times and it's very upsetting when you're doing full run, have bonus treasure keys and double enchant shrine, and then game's crashing when you entering one of last rooms.

I hear you on how disappointing / frustrating it is to be near the end and to lose all progress (and your offering) when a crash or disconnect occurs.

Responsibility for this is, quite obviously, on GGG because their design decisions lead to this kind of result and because this is a known issue for years that they haven't fixed.
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Apr 29, 2018, 3:12:58 PM
i would rather have them fix maps so you only have one portal per player.
if you're on a crappy connection you simply can't play online games.

that would solve a shitload of issues with one stroke like chicken scripts, too much good items from high level maps, having to heavily restrict certain map tiers drops and so on.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
if you're on a crappy connection

It's not me on crappy connection, but their servers.
A more cynical explanation of why this hasn't been fixed is GGG internal politics. The way this explanation works is that GGG has become more of a business than a game development organization. The lead designers and decision makers no longer play the game like we do. It's become a job for them more than a fun pastime. Sure they run through new content but the don't play multiple characters through the whole game and into the end game every league. So what gets implemented is based more on personalities and internal politics instead of what would make the game most fun. It is the tendency for organizations such as GGG to change this way with their success and growth. Is this theory correct? I don't really know but it is looking more likely as time passes.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
fwd wrote:
"
vio wrote:
if you're on a crappy connection

It's not me on crappy connection, but their servers.

Their servers are on a crappy connection to you.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Apr 29, 2018, 3:49:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info