Minion dps with plus damage to spells

The dps estimate for minion damage goes really high when I wear items that add big cold damage to spells. But the actual dps of the minions doesn't change at all. This is on my totem that summons raging spirits for me.

I bought some expensive items thinking my dps would go crazy and now I stuck with them. This is very confusing for new players. please fix dps estimate for summons.

Also plus minion damage support gems don't change the estimated dps of minion damage, but I think they work.

I didn't see this on the faq so I am posting here.
Last bumped on Mar 21, 2018, 9:10:22 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
This is not a bug, you are just misunderstanding how the tooltip works.

The tooltip of a skill always shows the stats of the skill itself, never of some other entities such as minions spawned by the skill. Showing the latter is practically impossible, since they are completely different characters with their own set of attributes and affected by a different set of modifiers from you. They might not even exist at all at the time you are looking at the tooltip.

So let's take Raise Zombie as an example. The stats - cast speed, mana cost, etc. refer to the Raise Zombie skill. If you link zombies with Minion Damage, the zombie gets additional damage. The "Raise Zombie" skill does not do additional damage - because it does no damage at all in the first place, it just summons a minion.

Now when you get some flat added damage to spells, the damage is added to Raise Zombie. And if the Raise Zombie skill ever hit an enemy, it would indeed do this additional damage to the target. But Raise Zombie can't actually hit anything, because that's not how the skill works.

If you link Raise Zombie with something like Added Lightning Damage support, the bonus damage gets added both to the Raise Zombie skill (which, as I mentioned above, does not actually do anything) and also to the zombie minion (which is not displayed on the tooltip).

This behavior matters in some cases, because there are minion summoning skills which actually do do damage: for example, Dominating Blow, Blink Arrow, or any skill linked with Summon Phantasm on Kill.

If you want to see the (approximate) stats of your minions, I recommend using Path of Building.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Mar 21, 2018, 9:11:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info