Bow (Ice Shot) - Multiple Projectiles Support or Chain Support?

I a new player and first time playing as a ranger. I can't figure out which is the best option to play Multiple Projectiles Support or Chain Support? I currently level 40, but reviewing several guides, I want to figure out which one is going to work best in 3.1

[3.0] Raider - Ice Shot/Barrage / Everything Viable / 1 Week in League / Awesome Swag https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1955346
[3.0] Triple Chain Ice Shot Deadeye - Hipster Map Clearing Fun
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2021860
Last bumped on Dec 11, 2017, 6:12:18 PM
I played an ice shot / barrage raider last league, and after playing around with some options, multiple projectiles AND chain worked the best. The explosions can overlap and hit one mob many times, so having many explosions, while also having them face multiple directions because of chain, does a ton of damage.

"
Bleu42 wrote:
I played an ice shot / barrage raider last league, and after playing around with some options, multiple projectiles AND chain worked the best. The explosions can overlap and hit one mob many times, so having many explosions, while also having them face multiple directions because of chain, does a ton of damage.

Interesting option. But what you suggest to start with as I don't have many sockets right now in my bow?
I am playing an Ice Shot Ranger as well and I am currently at the end of act 6. I have found that using GMP with the Ice Shot threshold jewel from Act 5 is allowing to clear mobs in 1 or two hits. Later on you can add a Chain gem as your 6th link, if you manage to find one. I would probably focus on cold related damage until then since Chain can really reduce your damage by quite a bit early on. My take.
While NeverSink's ♣ INDEPTH Tornado&Archer Guide ♣ disclaims that it is not up to date for 3.1, it is still a great introduction to the mechanics of a wide range of archer attacks, and I'd strongly encourage reading it to gain a better understanding of how to answer this question yourself.

Truthfully, relatively little changed for archers in this release, so while some new gems may be better supports than what that guide suggests, it iis still full of perfectly functional builds capable of completing all content in the game.
Playing an ice shot build for the league start and it's going pretty smoothly so far.

The question isn't how many projectiles vs chain though it's more pierce vs chain, you'll most likely need at least more than 3 projectiles either with LMP/GMP support and/or with a +1 arrow quiver / unique bow

going pierce is more straightforward and easy (the threshold jewel gives +5 straightaway) whereas chain will need harder investment (reaching +3 chain can be painful and hurts damages a lot)

What I advise is to stick with piercing as long as you have a medium/high tier bow, then when you find or craft a real kick ass bow or if you manage to get a sweet fated doomfletch you can try to rebuild chain.

Btw I actually went Deadeye just in case I want to switch to chain, becaure of the +1 chain node. But Raider is most likely better otherwise.
"
Bowspin wrote:
Playing an ice shot build for the league start and it's going pretty smoothly so far.

The question isn't how many projectiles vs chain though it's more pierce vs chain, you'll most likely need at least more than 3 projectiles either with LMP/GMP support and/or with a +1 arrow quiver / unique bow

going pierce is more straightforward and easy (the threshold jewel gives +5 straightaway) whereas chain will need harder investment (reaching +3 chain can be painful and hurts damages a lot)

What I advise is to stick with piercing as long as you have a medium/high tier bow, then when you find or craft a real kick ass bow or if you manage to get a sweet fated doomfletch you can try to rebuild chain.

Btw I actually went Deadeye just in case I want to switch to chain, becaure of the +1 chain node. But Raider is most likely better otherwise.

Right I see what you mean. Thank you very much for the feedback.
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
While NeverSink's ♣ INDEPTH Tornado&Archer Guide ♣ disclaims that it is not up to date for 3.1, it is still a great introduction to the mechanics of a wide range of archer attacks, and I'd strongly encourage reading it to gain a better understanding of how to answer this question yourself.

Truthfully, relatively little changed for archers in this release, so while some new gems may be better supports than what that guide suggests, it iis still full of perfectly functional builds capable of completing all content in the game.

Great stuff, thank you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info