Increase vs more damage ???

Trying to find the gem setup i like the most, but hard when you dont understand how dmg multiplyer works.

With cyclone only and 0 buffs i got 11,868 dps.
If i add lvl 19"20q" fortify wich add 43% increase melee dmg then i got 12,466 dps.
If i instead add lvl 19"0q" mele phys wich adds 48% more melee dmg then i got 17,400 dps.
Area dmg seems to multiply the same as more melee, why is increase so weak ?
Cull is another gem that looks strong with both 38% increase dmg + 10% attack speed, but it gives very low dmg because of increase dmg instead of more ??? I understand nutting!
Last bumped on Nov 15, 2017, 3:37:08 AM
Multipliers come with four keywords to signify their effect: Increased, Reduced, More and Less.

Increased and Reduced signify an additive modifier, positive/negative respectively. 'Additive' means they are all summed up to one single multiplier.
More and Less signify a multiplicative modifier; these are entirely separate multipliers instead.

Fortify adds 43% onto your existing pile of Increased Damage from Passives and the likes, whereas Melee Damage Support is an entirely separate 48% multiplier.
Looks like I misunderstood it too, each "more" damage instance is a separate multiplier to your total damage, so it obviously makes far more impact than any "increased" damage, which are all additive to a single "increased damage" multiplier.
Last edited by tm10067 on Nov 14, 2017, 7:12:59 AM
((base damage + added flat damage ) * (sum from all increase) ) * (sum from all more)

if you have 0% increase and 50% more its the same as 50% increase and 0% more.

but if you already have a solid sum of increase from items/passive.. its better to add "more damage" then to increase the normal "increase damage" :D

there are additional mores behind the more.

e.g. Curse is an aditional more behind the more, its based on enemy site and counts on all your damage dealt. an bfore the hp of the enemy decreased, the more from curse multipleyed it again :D
Last edited by SiegfriedXX on Nov 14, 2017, 9:23:37 AM
"
SiegfriedXX wrote:
((base damage + added flat damage ) * (sum from all increase) ) * (sum from all more)

This is not technically correct. To phrase it properly, you'd want to say "product from all more," not "sum."

For example, if you have a projectile spell, 20% more projectile damage, 30% more projectile damage, and 40% more spell damage:

1.2 * 1.3 * 1.4 = 2.184, or 118.4% more damage
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
adghar wrote:
"
SiegfriedXX wrote:

This is not technically correct. To phrase it properly, you'd want to say "product from all more," not "sum."

For example, if you have a projectile spell, 20% more projectile damage, 30% more projectile damage, and 40% more spell damage:

1.2 * 1.3 * 1.4 = 2.184, or 118.4% more damage

correct

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info