3.0 Poison Wander Assassin

big list of other builds

Welcome to the build that makes you exclaim, "I-I guess this is alright."

Real talk though, elemental wanders are probably going to be much better. The only reason to play a wander poison based is for the experience (and to be a hipster I guess). While elemental wanders output great damage with a ton of leech and the ability to scale hard with currency, poison wanders seem to also do great damage (thanks, barrage, for being OP in every build), but without the same level of leech and scaling.

All that being said, the DoT playstyle is still one of the most satisfying out there. Sure, critting a pack and watching an MTX herald of ice cover that area has some nice A E S T H E T I C S, but there's something uniquely beautiful about backloading all your damage and just watching an entire pack of health bars drain.

This build was designed to be played in softcore. While playable in hardcore, some adjustments should be made to keep yourself especially safe since enemies take a second or two longer to die to the degens compared to a normal upfront damage build.

If you're still here, let's actually get into the build:

Note: the PoB link used throughout the build guide has above average gear, but a pretty standard wand. It's displayed dps will be a bit on the high side for what a normal player will use. Remember to adjust the stats on gear and config settings to get a better idea of what it will do for you.

If you're just looking to copy paste the build, here's the link (good gear version) https://pastebin.com/Hpntp3T7
If you want to see what I'm currently using (mediocre gear edition), my character is "MasterDendrobater" with OxidisedGearz as my profile name. Put that in PoB to import everything.

Playstyle

Play like a standard wander. Run around the map using kinetic blast, tearing up packs with ease. Seriously, an ape could play a KB clearspeed build.

Upon reaching a tanky single target, start using barrage. Temporal Chains and Wither totems help enhance your damage against particularly difficult enemies, namely bosses. Stand next to a wall and barrage the boss down. If the boss walks over to your position (or up against any other wall), KB shotgun them into the floor.

The build can run any map mods other than the chance to avoid poison mod.
I highly recommend rolling over cannot leech, though since it just isn't fun.
No regen maps are unfun since the mana leech is difficult to sustain off of alone, but again, doable.
Reflect is not an issue.

KB is amazing against harbingers, so Beachhead farming is braindead easy.

You're essentially playing the exact same way as an ele wander, but with a different feel to the damage.

Passives

PoB pastebin: https://pastebin.com/Hpntp3T7

Basically stick to the right side of the tree, take all the poison damage nodes, life, crit, and leech you can get your greasy gaming fingers on.

If you only take the poison dps nodes, you come out with 90% chance to poison on hit, so you have to take one extra "chance to poison" node. I selected poison and bleed chance next to dirty techniques, but this missing 10% can be filled in with jewels as well if you have them.

Take the 2 point jewel sockets and frenzy charges once you can. 3 point jewel sockets have to be pretty godly to be worth.

The build needs 188 int for imbued wands. You have basically 0 intelligence. The character has about 40. ZZZZZZZING. With primal spirit, you get that up to 60 and free up your gear quite a bit while also getting juicy flask nodes. Highly recommended along with druidic rite and potentially arcane chemistry too if you're feeling especially spicy today.

Alira is our bandit of choice, just like every other crit build.

Gear

PoB Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/Hpntp3T7

Required:
Dendrobate: get one with good poison damage and duration rolls. A good all res roll is a bonus.
Lycosidae: because who wants to miss when you have the option to just not?

Highly recommended:
Atziri's Promise: Gives damage and leech. Basically use it on every build ever.
Embalmers: Flat chaos, poison damage, 5 link, and a life roll? what's not to love?
Starkonjas: It's like a rats nest, but with 100 life. Can be swapped with a rare if need be.

If you can afford to:
Sin's Rebirth: Trades a defensive flask for some more damage and leech.
Dying Sun: It's like a +2 barrage enchant, but on your belt.
Biscos: there's a reason why it's in the top 10 most used uniques.
Headhunter: it's like szechuan sauce, but for builds instead of nuggets.

Rares:
life, res, int. You need int on your gear cause the tree has basically none and we need 188.
Diamond rings: open prefix for chaos damage to attacks craft. Fill out stats youre missing.
Amulet, crit multi and open prefix for chaos damage. Crit chance is a bonus. Get an int base.

In terms of lab enchants:
get a nice defensive enchant on your gloves (of reflection for example)
+2 barrage enchant on helmet is the god roll, but attack speed or buffs to any other skill you use is nice too.
boots should probably be two tone boots. You don't need much on them other than stats.

current gear

Gems

PoB Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/Hpntp3T7
KB goes in your gloves for the pseudo 5 link
Barrage goes in your body for the pseudo 7 link

Barrage + GMP + added chaos + unbound ailments + vile toxins. Deadly Ailments = 6 link.
Lesser poison comes from the chest

Kinetic Blast + GMP + added chaos + lesser poison.
Vile toxins comes from the gloves.

Haste, Clarity, Summon Lightning Golem + culling strike.
Haste can be subbed for grace for defenses. Golem should be lightning. Culling strike is optional, but why not get 11.11% more effective damage? Yes, self cast golem, but they don't die actually very often as a ranged clearspeed build.

Wither + spell totem + inc duration + faster casting.
Hits 20 stacks on bosses for the fat dips.

Vaal Haste + inc duration + Temporal Chains.
Vaal Haste makes you F A S T. Temp Chains is the best dps and defensive curse to use. Self cast curses are frowned upon in the current meta, but it works just fine.

Blood rage + enhance.
Put this in your weapon so you can weapon swap twice to turn off the degen when needed. Enhance isn't needed, but it makes you attack a bit faster, so it's pretty cool.

Getting lvl 21 added chaos for barrage would be amazing and the best min/max gem to get first, but isn't required at all to have damage.

Path of Building

https://pastebin.com/Hpntp3T7

Viability

With good gear, viable for everything.
With bad gear, not very guardian viable.

Even with vaal pact, you don't want to face tank guardians since a lot of your damage is backloaded and can't be leeched from. As a result, the build's viability is dependent on your knowledge of the boss you're facing. The build will dish out the damage, but it's on you to keep the character from taking too much damage too fast. You're not very good at recovering hp, so facetank is not possible. You have to be very knowledgeable about the mechanics of the t15+ boss to be able to kill them. If you know how to dodge Shaper's balls and slams, you can kill him no problem. If you know how to dodge an Izaro reave, you can kill Izaro. if you know how to dodge Minotaur burrows, you can kill him, etc.

Options to change the build up

You path right next to acrobatics, so that's a pretty amazing choice for a safer build.
Taking flask nodes feels good, even if it isn't tooltip dps.

That's pretty much it, honestly. The choices you have for poison are super stale. You basically have to use dendrobate, even though it has no life and pitiful es. Embalmers are BIS too. There's not much you can really do with poison anymore. While I'm glad that not every build ever has to take poison to do good damage, it would be nice to have some diversity in how it's built.

The only true "unique" poison build I've seen was the quill rain poison build, which is only unique in its weapon choice really. Everything else is pretty stock-standard. Poison is fun, but once you've played one poison build, you've (more or less) played them all.

Questions

Q: How do you maintain your charges?
A: Short answer: prayer and sacrifice. Long answer: Blood rage generates frenzies. Frenzy the attack is an option for single targets. The only thing maintaining my power charges is statistics. If they aren't at max, I have a much higher chance of gaining a charge for each hit and refill to full quickly. Even at max power charges, barrage usually hits fast enough that the charges are sustained most of the time anyway. 100% uptime isn't required to do damage.

Q: Should I play this build?
A: You probably should do that work your putting off, but here you are, looking for more builds. If you're still up for a round of procrastinate and chill, ask yourself a simple question: would I rather do more damage or have more fun?

Regardless of your answer, go play doomfletch pathfinder like everyone else.

Q: Are you allowed to have a character name like that?
A: If nobody asks you to change it, you can use any character name. Also, bad puns are the best kind.

Q: Is this a joke to you?
A: What are you, Izaro? Also, yes.

Q: I have a real question, can you answer it for me?
A: If you like sarcastic answers, @ me in game or leave it below. If you don't appreciate a good joke, do the exact same thing, but be a bit more disappointed with my reply.

Videos

It's a bit of a pain for me to actually record anything, sorry... If I get a lot of people asking about my character and build, I'll put in the time to display it in video format. It'll look identical to basically every other wander anyway, but sometimes I'll drop a wither totem.

Links

Last edited by OxidisedGearz on Oct 22, 2021, 3:10:04 AM
Last bumped on Oct 26, 2017, 2:31:48 AM
<Reserved>
I'm getting an "invalid code" when trying to imnport to POB from the Pastebin link but copying the data worked fine. Not sure if it's something on my end. I'm just kind of taking a look at the build because I've been really brainstorming about a poison build lately. One can only spend so many hours in POB looking at poison numbers before going mad.
I also want to make a hipster Wander assassin! (I instead went elemental full fire damage).

I haven't looked at the PoB link yet but I have mixed feelings about using Dendrobate as I looked at it during my hipster wander research. It just doesn't seem worth it, the offensive stats it gives are mediocre and it has nearly no defences. In every situation I was better off using a different chest and investing into poison elsewhere.

If you have to use a poison chest use Yriel's Fostering, snake version.

EDIT: I take that back. It seems your build actually makes Dendrobate viable. Good job!

As far as Flasks go, use Writhing Jar to get some health and some easy targets.
Last edited by Draqone on Sep 8, 2017, 9:20:51 AM
hello im playing well with ur build

i have mana problem before but now solved

I could solve mana problem just get (mana gained +2 by your attack) in jewel this is so great working in this build

but now i have another problem now.

vaal pact really needed?

poison wander has low hit damage. i cant get enough damage to leech my life all.

how can u solve this?

plz answer about this.
I really would like to see a video of shaper/guardians and maybe uberlab
Vaal pact isn't needed, no. If you don't like the feel of vaal pact, then don't take it. You won't be able to face tank bosses either way. With buffs up, you will be leaching quite a bit more than the normal leach cap + regen, so it's technically beneficial so long as youre doing damage, but it really comes down to a personal preference. I take it because it makes mapping more comfortable for me.

In terms of videos, I won't be posting anything. I'm very sorry but I just can't right now. From a lot of testing, I can say this: guardians can always be completed, and are deathless like 9/10 times. They're no problem, especially if you know how to manipulate their AI to get them to stand next to a wall to get shotgunned.
I haven't done much uber lab, but I can say this: this build is not the best choice for an uber lab farmer. Really, just pick a tanky build instead. That being said, it can kill izaro solo if youre familiar with the fight; it's just not a good uber farmer.
In terms of shaper, this build is the wrong choice. It's viable, but it really is not designed to be killing shaper. You can't tank the beam, so the dps is low. You have very little movement speed, so dodging is a full time job (lowering dps even more). Finally, supports basically do nothing for you. If you want to kill shaper, you can do it, but other builds are just gonna do the same thing so much better.

Also, sorry for being slow on the replies. I caught a pretty bad throat infection and have been out for a while.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info