Sunder Bleed Gladiator, 500k DPS, 7.2k HP [3.0]

Introduction
The Sunder bleed gladiator is a build mainly focused on bossing and putting out high amounts of single target dps. However Thanks to the corpse explosions that “Gratuitous Violence” provides in combination with how sunder works it just one shots every pack of monsters as well.
The build is an amazing low budget build and you can use almost any two handed maul or axe, I’ve tried both and the difference is minimal. I leveled to lvl 90 with Marohi Erqi, then bought an Atziri’s Disfavour. Despite being good on a low budget it’s definitely worth investing currency into.

Sunder
I chose to use sunder because it has a very high base damage, which benefits the bleeds, and the reduced attack speed doesn’t affect the bleed damage at all. I’ve also come to realise that I appreciate the massive range it has when i kity deadly bosses.

Weapon
You generally want to use a weapon with high physical damage, attack speed is nice but it doesn’t improve your dps. A Marohi Erqi and an Atziri’s Disfavour will do roughly the same amount of dps, however you will be very slow with the Marohi, it’s a pain!
Axe
You will spend a few more passive points but you will end up with onslaught on kill for 3 sec.
Maul
Save a few passives, no onslaught on kill. But it’s still an excellent choice if you want to use a specific weapon.

Gems
Sunder
Sunder - Melee phys - Maim - Brutality - Deadly Aliments - Unbound Aliments
Ruthless support would also be a really good alternative to maim, If you’re not using Crimson Dance Ruthless support is mandatory. With Crimson Dance it’s roughly equal to maim, probably a bit stronger if you don’t keep the maim up on the foe.
Blasphemy
Blasphemy - vulnerability - temp chains
Hatred or other elemental added stuff doesn’t benefit the bleed, this is our best option.
Ancestral_Protector
I run it alone in the same equipment as Blasphemy, it gives attack speed when up, can be a decent decoy and does some extra damage.
CWDT
Cast when damage taken - Immortal call
Nothing special here, feels mandatory nowadays.
Leap_slam+Frenzy
Leap slam - Frenzy - Faster attacks - Fortify
Blood_rage+Portal
Run this in the same equipment as CWDT but unlinked or the portal casts all the time and you will waste your portals on misclicks.

Equipment

Rares
On my rare items I focus on getting as much life as possible, capping my resists and getting enough int/dex to use all the gems. Once that is done i make sure to get flat added physical damage on my ring and amulet as it will increase my bleed dps.
Uniques

Ring
I use a Doedre’s Damning (Ring) for the +1 max curse, if you can get a decent amulet with +1 curse do it and drop this ring for a steel ring.

Armor
I’m using Kaom’s Heart but anything that you prefer can replace it.

Weapon
I’m using Atziri’s Disfaour, and it’s probably the best option. I haven’t tried Uul-Netol's Embrace but i imagine it’s a close second.
You can use any rare or unique maul or axe you prefer just make sure you pick the right passive tree

Jewels
You want life on your jewels, after the life roll you will need a “Damage with bleeding” roll, it rolls up to 20%. For the third and fourth mod you want: damage over time, damage or physical damage.

Acendency
I chose Gladiator because it provides 50% chance to bleed, a fair amount of damage, and the corpse explosion against bleeding enemies. You can pick up the bleed from the passive tree for only 4 points if you prefer another ascendency, marauder is also available.
My choice in order of importance:

Gratuitous
25% chance to bleed
30% damage
Corpse explosions
Blood
25% chance to bleed
30% chance to maim
30% damage
6% damage mitigation
Outmatch
25% frenzy on kill with mainhand (Doesn’t work with bleed kills, its meh)
10% more damage when max frenzies
10% less physical damage taken when max endurance (Not using this one)
Painforged
The only one that’s left to pick, it’s useless but there is no other choice.

Keystones
Resolute
Because we’re not doing crit and it feels shitty to miss all the time.
Unwavering
You could possibly drop this and use the Brime King pantheon. I feel like it’s too good to not pick up for only 2 points.
Crimson
You can definitely skip this, it’s about playstyle. However with this node you have higher maximum possible damage but you need to attack a lot more. If you decide to skip it you need to use the Ruthless support.

Flasks
Nothing special here more than there are not really any good dps flaks, you could use witchfire brew but i decide not to, already have the vulnerability. A Sulphur flask gives pretty good damage, gives 4% life regen and has 3 uses.
Other than that i run a Quicksilver, Basalt and two Life flasks. You will want to have bleed removal and freeze removal on at least one of them, and probably even more movement speed on the Quicksilver flask.

Current_Char
Equipment
PoB
https://pastebin.com/KMdjQacS

F.A.Q.

But bleed sucks! How do you get 500k Dps if bleed sucks?!
Bleed doesnt suck, everyone just told you it does and you blindley listened.

How do you sustain your hp?
I have roughly 4% regen, Vitality void gives a ton of leech and sulphur flask gives another 4% regen when I use it.
Last edited by DevinAce on Aug 30, 2017, 12:16:39 PM
Last bumped on Nov 13, 2017, 11:21:59 AM
I like the build. Curious, you have issues getting Deadly and Unbound Ailments to calc bleed DPS correctly?
I'm Using path of building usually but both of the gems seem to affect the bleed correctly in the character sheet as well.
I would strongly suggest you try Multistrike with Ruthless over Deadly and Unbound Ailments.

Ruthless is currently calculated wrong for Bleeds in PoB since it is simply added as 1.38 more damage multiplier, while this works for the regular DPS calculation its wrong for bleeds, due to the limited number of active bleeds.
Correct way to calculate your bleed damage:
1. Multiply your APS with your bleed duration. That gives you the amount of attacks you get in during run of one arbitrary bleed.
2. Divide that number by 3, that is the amount of ruthless blows you get during one bleed debuff. Lets call that number x.
3a. If x is greater than 8 multiply your bleed damage by 16.8 and stop scaling attack speed (or get rid of multistrike if you have truly insane attack speed.)
3b. If x is 8 or less then multiply your bleed damage by (x*2.1 + 8-x).

You will notice that your bleed damage should remain roughly equal while gaining a ton of direct damage. Ruthless basically extends your attack speed scaling for bleeds and Multistrike has no negative effect on bleeds it does not scale down you bleed damage!

I run a similar build as a slayer and had some really good results. Also you might want to strap your Maim onto the Ancestral Protector and try Damage on Full life instead.
Last edited by tzuiop on Aug 31, 2017, 5:01:01 PM
"
tzuiop wrote:
I would strongly suggest you try Multistrike with Ruthless over Deadly and Unbound Ailments.

Ruthless is currently calculated wrong for Bleeds in PoB since it is simply added as 1.38 more damage multiplier, while this works for the regular DPS calculation its wrong for bleeds, due to the limited number of active bleeds.
1. Multiply your APS with your bleed duration. That gives you the amount of attacks you get in during run of one arbitrary bleed.
2. Divide that number by 3, that is the amount of ruthless blows you get during one bleed debuff. Lets call that number x.
3a. If x is greater than 8 multiply your bleed damage by 16.8 and stop scaling attack speed (or get rid of multistrike if you have truly insane attack speed.)

You will notice that your bleed damage should remain roughly equal while gaining a ton of direct damage. Ruthless basically extends your attack speed scaling for bleeds and Multistrike has no negative effect on bleeds it does not scale down you bleed damage!

I run a similar build as a slayer and had some really good results. Also you might want to strap your Maim onto the Ancestral Protector and try Damage on Full life instead.

The problem with mutltistrike + ruthless is that you will lose a ton of dps when you cannot tunnel the boss, especially if you barely have the required attack speed. Furthermore all the end-bosses reduce your bleed duration by 50%, meaning you need close to 10 APS to get maximum effect of mutlstrike + ruthless. (For those end game bosses you are prob just better of dropping crimson dawn all together and go ruthless for 1 big bleed hit).
"
Tortunga wrote:
The problem with mutltistrike + ruthless is that you will lose a ton of dps when you cannot tunnel the boss, especially if you barely have the required attack speed. Furthermore all the end-bosses reduce your bleed duration by 50%, meaning you need close to 10 APS to get maximum effect of mutlstrike + ruthless. (For those end game bosses you are prob just better of dropping crimson dawn all together and go ruthless for 1 big bleed hit).

The 50% less bleed and poison duration on guardians and shaper is gone with 3.0. Also you do not need to to have every bleed to be a ruthless bleed for it to be superior DPS. About half of them being ruthless bleeds is enough.

Also something I did not mention in my other post. Chance to bleed should be superior to Unbound Ailments in pretty much any case. The duration gained from Unbound Ailments hardly matters compared to the extra damage Chance to Bleed provides over it.
Last edited by tzuiop on Aug 31, 2017, 6:05:47 PM
Hey Devin,

Awesome guide and pretty neat idea. As a fan of sword and board i was thinking of doing this as a high block glad, basically removig the 2H nodes and grabbing the closest block ones.

This would also mean dropping kaoms and going for a belly.

Would you say the build would still be decent or would i lose way too much dmg?

Hardcore setting btw
"
noxous wrote:
Hey Devin,

Awesome guide and pretty neat idea. As a fan of sword and board i was thinking of doing this as a high block glad, basically removig the 2H nodes and grabbing the closest block ones.

This would also mean dropping kaoms and going for a belly.

Would you say the build would still be decent or would i lose way too much dmg?

Hardcore setting btw

I think youre gonna take a rather heavy hit on the damage. You probably wont have the damage for shaper but there is a chance you will handle uber atziri really well. I also dont know how it will clear since your upfront damage will suffer quite a lot.
"
tzuiop wrote:

Dropping unbound aliments is not an option because of the bleed duration is an amazing QoL, the entire point of the build is that you can hit 8 times then spend all other time dodging shit, this wont work with multistrike.

Also right now I kill every pack in one hit, if I would use multistrike my clearspeed would be greatly reduced. Versus bosses you generally want to avoid multistrike because it locks you in place for a long time.

Also:
Damage from unbound aliments and deadly aliments:
1,61*1,31=2,1091
Damage from Ruthless support at 100% ruthless stacks:

That means you need to hit the enemy 30 times before ruthless support does MARGINALLY more dps, all while you get locked in place for massive times when trying to dodge stuff and youre forced to hit the air 2 times while clearing. You could maybe use multistrike if youre using 1h and shield but not with a 2h weapon.
Great to see others doing bleed builds. Im doing one aswell, 1h/shield though, its working great aswell. Far from done yet, but can do T15 so far no problem, haven't tried T16/shaper yet though, but I bet that'll be quite doable with better gear.

Good job on the build :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info