Please disable 'Dynamic Resolution' by default (The reasons why this is NOT good!)

When I first logged into the game to play the Harbinger League after I just told a friend about the new League, I was pumped... until I saw how pixelated the Log-In screen was and how pixelated the characters standing around were that you can choose to play. My friend and I picked a time, and we both logged in at the same time. I wanted to hear what his 'first impression' was, and what ensued is a good example of why 'first impressions' are very important for new players.

Here is the scenario that just happened after trying to get a stubborn friend of mine to try out Path of Exile for a long time:

Me: Tried to get a devout Diablo 3 fan friend of mine to check out PoE, told him how awesome it was, etc. until he finally broke and said, "Alright, I'll try it!"

Friend of mine: The game looks like crap, are you kidding me, man?! (Then he told me he is uninstalling, and, me seeing what he saw for the first time, I couldn't blame him...)

Me: Trying to figure out why the game looked so visually outdated, my response to him was the equivalent of, and I paraphrase "Um, dude, let me explain! The game was never like this before!" (Struggling to understand what the problem was, I thought it was my graphics card, and then I thought it was my graphics options [it was, but I'll get to that soon], yet everything looked normal).

Friend of mine: Yea, sure, bro, I knew this game was crap. Look, we have many things in common bro, but I will never be convinced PoE is better than or even as good Diablo 3 is, not after this.

Me: Trying to reverse the matter, I asked my guild members if they were experiencing the same thing.

My Guild: Yea, bro, that's the new 'Dynamic Resolution' option.

Me: -__- Are you serious? WHY is this turned ON by default?! It makes the game look terrible.

And so I posted this thread, because this is a terrible move that makes for a terrible first impression for new players. The good news is after explaining what the issue was and that it was a mistake made by the developers, my devout Diablo 3 fan friend is psyched about PoE and is playing as we speak. However, he also agreed the 'Dynamic Resolution' option should be turned OFF by default.

Please disable this for said reasons. Thank you.
HeavyMetalGear
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last bumped on Nov 23, 2017, 12:07:43 PM
That stuck me too.

It would make sense for CRTs.

But now is the era of LCDs with perfect pixel geometry - and thus ugly aliasing.
In agreement!
SSF since ~OB

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info