[3.0] Dark Pact VP IW Zerker (theorycraft)

"When your life isn't edgy enough with a demon pact so you have to start sacrificing yourself"

Update: I've leveled this build to 82 so far and have started doing red maps with no difficulty on the character TheNoobIsPact. Haven't gotten any great gear yet, so this build seems fairly effective for leveling.

Introduction:
I made this build with a friend in order to take advantage of the new dark pact skill on fairly standard gear that is easy to acquire in the beginning of a league. The build requires no uniques to work, and the most expensive unique you might want to buy starting off is a Tabula Rasa. While there is a good amount of room to take this build, we wanted to emphasis the starter experience.

This build reaches about 220k dps (no wither) an 7.8k life with average gear. What I call average can be seen in the PoB link in the build section.

With perfect gear (but why?) This reaches 1.57M (wither) dps with 9k life [PoB in altbuild section]

Swapping to a +3 staff to use a Kaom's would push this build even further, but seriously why?

The Theory:
Dark Pact

[Note: These are reportedly test values, and if significant mechanical changes occur this build might be entirely invalid/]

Dark Pact has a huge more multiplier when casted on the caster, making it very appealing to use it that way instead of with skeletons. This however means that the aoe potential and safety are reduced; both these areas must be addressed in order to best use this skill.

Dark Pact, beyond its high base damage, also uses a portion of its casters life pool in order to further scale the damage. This means that increasing the life pool also significantly increases the damage of the skill (since adding base damage is equivalent to a more multiplier). Strength adds 1 base life for every 2 strength, making it an important stat for scaling high life. Strength can also be used for Iron Will which grants 1% spell damage for every 5 strength. While this may seem like a very low ratio, since its hard to scale chaos damage, gaining a large amount of increased spell damage through Iron Will causes a large increase in damage.

Therefore our passive tree is focused on just two things: AoE and life; since strength can largely be gained through gear. Our gear, as mentioned, is focused on strength, as well as the necessary life and resists.

The Build:
PoB Link
https://pastebin.com/vFF1T5xJ

Gem Links

Attack: Dark Pact - Spell Echo - Inc. AoE - Controlled Destruction
then - Void Manipulation
then - Added Chaos Dmg. or Iron Will depending on the rest of your gear

Mobility: Leap Slam - Faster Attacks - Fortify (It might be worth using a weapon swap in order to this since your primary will likely have a slow attack speed if it is even able to leap slam at all)

Misc Gems:
Blood Rage (yeah yeah BR with VP; I never said this was for HC)
Spell Totem - Wither (Bosses!)
Flame Golems are cute
Enduring Cry unless using Ahn's, then Rallying Cry (Can also just skip the warcry ascendency and take rite of ruin for a bit more defense)
Your personal flavor of CWDT (Basically you can just stuff whatever gems you want in at this point)

Last edited by ColoredImages on Aug 17, 2017, 1:11:06 AM
Last bumped on Aug 5, 2017, 7:09:06 PM
Auras
Use Haste and Arctic Armour. Grace can be used instead of haste if you want some more defense, it doesn't really matter too much, none of it is key. Heralds can also be used if you want just a tiny bit more damage.

Gear Choices

Starter Rares
In the beginning, using self-looted rares with a life and some res will suffice. While capping res should always come first, getting a high life total is very helpful for scaling Dark Pact.

First Uniques and bought Rares
Once you've gathered a bit of currency, buying rares with high life and strength (while still covering the necessary resists) should be your first priorities.
Buying a tabula rasa will help significantly with damage, but they at a minimum will cost a divine,
so this may not always be an easy option. Once your strength is high enough for iron will to be the choice of support gem over added chaos, getting a Doon Cuebiyari will boost your damage as well.
The last uniques you should get is an Ahn's Heritage with two Fragility's. These will give you an incredible +3% max res while giving onslaught, a big damage and clear speed boost. Until you get an Ahn's or if you like using endurance charges (if you're not lazy like me), a Breath of the Council is a great choice for dual wielding.

Expensive stuff (reletively)
Buying a 6l Carcass Jack is a good choice. Rumi's Concoction or Taste of Hate will help with survivability. Level 21 gems are nice as well. Honestly I'd recommend finding a different build instead of trying to push this too far.

A Few Alt Builds:
RF with Dark Pact cause you're so edgy you gotta burn yourself too
https://pastebin.com/Gj3CaAsd

A version with very good gear
https://pastebin.com/NDHFxd7X
Last edited by ColoredImages on Aug 3, 2017, 8:30:11 PM
Isn't chaos res kinda mandatory for running self cast dark pact safer?
"
Isn't chaos res kinda mandatory for running self cast dark pact safer?

The skill takes health away not deals damage. Hence why CwDT doesn't work - and why resistance doesn't matter for it.

And there isn't any chaos reflect out there; so running with -60% chaos res is no more dangerous then with any other build.
Where in the description of the spell do you get that the 6% of life is added as damage instead or just being a cost just like mana cost is?
The 6% cost being added as damage has been confirmed by GGG
I like the idea a lot to run it this way, but i got one question, about something that is unclear to me.
If you cast Dark Pact without any Skeletons out, is it casted around you, or to the point where your cursor is?
I always expected it to be at the cursor, but you say its important to increase the AoE, so if feels like it`s casted around yourself.

And another thing, is that I myself experimented with this skill and was thinking about making it a skill to poison enemies with, and play with a binos or something, but i can`t estimate if its worth it, or how viable poison will be in 3.0, since so many people are complaining about it?
"
Lunoxx wrote:
I like the idea a lot to run it this way, but i got one question, about something that is unclear to me.
If you cast Dark Pact without any Skeletons out, is it casted around you, or to the point where your cursor is?
I always expected it to be at the cursor, but you say its important to increase the AoE, so if feels like it`s casted around yourself.

And another thing, is that I myself experimented with this skill and was thinking about making it a skill to poison enemies with, and play with a binos or something, but i can`t estimate if its worth it, or how viable poison will be in 3.0, since so many people are complaining about it?

The AoE is cast around you in a nova based on the preview video.

I was never a big fan of poison and considering how many sources of it have been nerfed, without significant investment into ailments (which would hurt our life pool) that poison isn't very useful. I won't say that it's for sure not great but I'm not very impressed by it.
"
Lunoxx wrote:

Hi, I helped to theorycraft the original post build. Looking at the skill preview video released by GGG made us think that the aoe is centered on the self without skeletons nearby.

For your second point, our goal was to make a build that would be as effective as possible with easily attainable rares and at most, a tabula. Bino's or Consuming Dark may or may not work better, you could try putting them through Path of Building. Obliteration wands would almost certainly be faster for pack clearing, however.
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/gem.php?n=Dark+Pact

Looks like this is the final version. 152% more -> 95%

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info