[2.6] CI, Incandescent Heart, 74% block/60% spell block, 7k ES, 800k+ DPS, Ele Wander Pathfinder

Greetings everyone! This is my first build guide, so please feel free to add suggestions on what I can do better :)

Path of Building link to the build: https://pastebin.com/bALM0WfX

This build can potentially be viable in 3.0 with the proposed nerfs to ES. It would just be more expensive as it would need a top tier Hubirs and Spirit Shield for the same 6-7k ES. However I think it would do fine with 4-5kES due to the massive block chance, and damage mitigation on top of that.

Despite tons of wand and/or CI builds out there, I figured I would put this up as using a low ES chest in CI is a bit different. It also is the tankiest build I have ever made by far, where most wanders are glass cannons.

Hardcore viable? I believe so. I hate hardcore, but I really have only died when I have been complacent/cocky. This character had no problem mapping with maps 2 levels higher than character level. It has great layered defenses, but needs a couple of key items to be obtained, such as the stun avoidance enchant on the boots.

Shoutout to Path of Building. A great program which helped immensely by showing the pros and cons to each node, to make a build as efficiently as possible :)

The build:

This is a 600k dps (1 million dps with good gear) barrage/kinetic blast pathfinder using Incandescent heart and Rumi's Concoction for mitigation, that ignores reflect with only 1% leech!.

It also has effectively 85% elemental resistances considering the Incandescent Heart, Wise Oak, and Pathfinder elemental damage reduction. This effectively trivializes reflected damage taken which is also combined with 10% reduced reflected elemental damage taken from the Primeval Force node.

This is a possible mid budget build, and achieves 600k dps simply using a pizza cutter (Piscator's Vigil) and having a large amount of elemental penetration. With such high DPS combined with max block chance, the 0.8% damage leeched as life from Incandescent heart is all I have needed, and The Vessel of Vinktar ends up being a glorified panic flask ;) Using this build and sinking some real money into gear can push this build past 1 million dps, but I do fine on a 5 link, with a cheap wand ;)

Originally I wanted to do a Raider, but it ends up that Pathfinders get more DPS. Pathfinders also exploit flasks which makes them great for CI builds, especially being immune to elemental ailments (freeze) while using a flask. They also have easy access to shield defense nodes for massive bonuses to energy shield. Reckless Defense jewels also double dip Rumi's for spell block.

With Pathfinder, this build can always have an anti bleed flask with 30% physical damage reduction (Basalt), The Wise Oak, and Rumi's Concoction up all of the time. In fact you MUST have these flasks up all of the time to survive. It almost can have Vessel of Vinktar up all of the time, but not quite.

How this build fares with content:

I haven't done The Shaper, but I have done up to the Vaal Temple map. So far I am level 83 and I have had no problems tanking pretty much everything I faced. I did uber lab at level 75 with no problems, but was a fun challenge.

The rain of splinters in the Vaal temple map was the only thing I couldn't deal with. It would one shot me, but this was with only 5600es and no Basalt flask. This build can literally stand in a breach, in a reflect map, with double beyond, and not care too much. It can also face tank volatiles! ...at least I haven't died to one yet :P Vaal Detonate dead also is just pretty fireworks for this character, and only gets a hit or two at best.

Why Incandescent Heart?:

Spoiler

Incandescent heart converts up to 25% of elemental damage taken to be taken as Chaos damage. This allows CI builds to have 25% of elemental damage taken to be ignored.

So you take 75% of elemental damage, which is then mitigated by 75% resistances. Then this build takes 8% reduced elemental damage taken from Pathfinder ascendancy, and another 15% from The Wise Oak flask (after 50% increased effect from passives).

Looking at it differently, Incandescent heart allows you to take the damage that a build with 25% more es would take. That would be in the territory of a good Vaal Regalia, but you don't get the added chaos damage, leech, or little bit of armour.

This chest gives up to 20% of elemental damage added as chaos, and up to 1% of ATTACK damage leeched as life.

It also has free light radius based on Energy shield instead of Life. What a concept!!!!

Why the investment in max block with high spell block?

Well the investment is minimal (3 jewel slots) since most of it comes for free from passive skills already being taken:

Spoiler

Originally, to make up for the lack of energy shield from only having 300 or so ES on a chest piece, I went to take the Command of Steel and Precise Interception shield clusters to get a total of 210% extra energy shield from a 400+ ES spirit shield. This helps make up for the lack of ES on the chest piece.

*Note that these nodes apply additively with " % increased maximum Energy shield" nodes, not multiplicatively. It is the same as "+ 210% increased maximum energy shield" which only applies to the shield, giving a total of 945 additional Energy Shield to my ES pool.

Now these nodes also come with extra block chance. Since this is a CI build, we need some mitigation and have room for flasks. Also from the Pathfinder ascendancy and the Druidic Right and Alchemist flask mini clusters we get 50% increased effects of flasks. This makes Rumi's Concoction a great choice.

The build uses 3 reckless Defense jewels for a bit more block chance, as well as greatly increased spell block. Most builds use jewels slots for added DPS or resistances, but this build has plenty of both already.

3 of these jewels allows for 60% of block chance applied to spells. Rumi's gives us 30% block chance, as well as 15% spell block chance due to 50% increased effect of flasks, giving us 55% block and 48% spell block (with a 25% block chance shield) BEFORE the additional block chance from the tree and the jewels.
The tree gives us 15% block chance (10% spell block chance) and we get an additional 3% block from cast when damage taken/tempest shield for a total of 74% (Max) block, and 59% spell block.

Arguably you can take another Reckless Defense for max spell block, and a Anvil amulet to increase the block cap lol

Bandits:
Spoiler

10% Resistances

Attack Speed

Power Charge

The tree:

http://poeurl.com/bjW6
Spoiler

This is a fairly standard elemental Wand build tree. You can see the shield and flask passive nodes which are crucial to the tankiness of the build. The flask nodes also give a fair bit of DPS to the build with the Wise Oak, and Vessel of Vinktar Flasks (if you can afford one).

http://imgur.com/a/iOuOo

Ideally you want to get all of the required flask nodes (5 in total), shield nodes (5 in total), and 3 jewel slots by level 60 or so. You also want all the ES nodes up to Deep Wisdom by this time, if not all of them.

You can spec into CI once you can equip a 400+ES shield (and have the shield nodes), and run with 3k ES after level 50, but you will want to get to 6k ES ASAP.

For Ascendancy, get the immunity to elemental status ailments node in cruel lab, since this is the most important skill point for the entire build. After that I would go with the attack and movement speed while using a flask just to make progression quicker with the move speed.

I took the Survivalist evasion/resistances cluster to activate the Blue Dream/Nightmare jewel. If one can't afford this jewel, then put the points into the Void Barrier evasion/energy shield wheel just North East of Vaal Pact. You get 6% less resistance, but a ton more ES.

http://imgur.com/a/0QJ1Z

Again shoutout to Path of building showing that the 5% attack speed and accuracy with wand nodes are actually better for DPS than the 15% damage with wand nodes ;)

Gear:

Except for the Vessel of Vinktar's and Blue Dream, all gear is about half an exalt or less. Neither of those expensive items are necessary.

Only the Rumi's and stun avoidance enchant on the boots are mandatory.

Stun resistance is key with CI, so be sure to have the stun resist enchant on your boots!

Balancing resistances is key with gear selection to maximize the effectiveness of The Wise Oak!
Spoiler

I managed to get my resistances perfectly equal for full benefit from The Wise Oak. I did this by getting my main gear, then finding a pair of Brinerot Whalers which made my lightning resistance the same as one of the other resistances. I then scaled the third resistance so it was higher than the lightning resistance and the other to the point that a two stone ring could bring them all together. The two stone ring and the other jewelry would then have all resistances.

Well the gear is pretty straight forward:

We build around incandescent heart. Get a shield with the most ES possible, and get as many resistances as possible on it.

-Get an ES helm with resistances

-Belt with ES and resistances. I used Ascent from Flesh due to decent ES and equal resistances added at a low cost.

-The jewelry was used to balance the resistances out to be all equal, and got as much added damage as possible.

-Ideally get a high elemental DPS wand. However even end league these are expensive. Pizza cutter is clearing all content for me, so no argument there!

Flasks:

Well we need an anti bleed flask, so getting physical damage mitigation is good too. Go with 20-25% reduced charges used on the Basalt flask so it can be used twice in a row. With flask nodes this also gives 30% physical damage reduction!

Rumi's is there for 75% mitigation, and 60% spell mitigation, along with the effective additional physical damage reduction.

The Wise Oak:
This flask is a huge benefit when your resistances are all equal. THEN we get 50% increased effect of this flask from our passive nodes! The Wise Oak is key for any elemental build. Also gives us damage mitigation, and allows us to power through maps with Elemental Weakness.

Vessel of Vinktar is an OP flask, but is not needed in this build. It is a nice panic flask for us though :P

Rot Gut is there for onslaught although I rarely need it. Mainly it gets used to go warp speed through a map (remember the 50% increased effect of flasks!).

Choir of the storm:

Choir of the Storm is an interesting option due to The Wise Oak, and Vessel of Vinktar giving extra lightning resist for a total of 127% increased critical chance, over and above the 75%+ you will already have on the build!.

On my current build, it gives similar DPS to my current amulet BEFORE the self casting lightning bolt. Due to low spell damage increases, it only does 10k average hit, but that is 20k dps of free damage.

Of course you will want to factor this into your build when obtaining gear to get your uncapped resistances balanced at the same level to maximize The Wise Oak.

Skills:

Barrage and Kinetic blast are the only viable options for a wand build, so this goes without saying. Kinetic Blast is fine in a 4 link, but Thunderfist makes it a 5 link. GMP is the single best gem for DPS for Barrage unless you have Dying Sun, or something else that gives extra projectiles. In those cases, the less damage multiplier on the existing projectiles doesn't make it worth while.

Herald of Ice, Herald of Fire, and Wrath are the main boosts to DPS. In Order to get all 3 up, you need an Enlighten gem. I currently use the two heralds without wrath and do fine.

Discipline is necessary for the extra ES.

I have frenzy with curse on hit, but rarely use it. I thought I would need the leech and Endurance charges from Warlord's Mark, but I don't. Frenzy also gives frenzy charges which I would use to get Onslaught from the Rot Gut flask, but I never need that either. Frenzy really could use chain to be better at curse on hit, and this can be done if you get an Incandescent heart with 3 green slots, and use Barrage in the Thunderfists.

I also have Orb of storms with Power Charge on critical for power charges. Also didn't use this much either. Ended up getting a Blue Dream, since I never cast this skill lol.

Frost Golem also gives slightly more DPS than Lightning Golem.

I have Vortex on cast on Damage Taken for slowing enemy attack and movement speed. Frost Wall was just getting in the way and boxing me in as this character face tanks a lot. Tempest shield polishes off our block chance and is a free cast.

Last edited by Lord_Tao on Jun 1, 2017, 5:02:40 PM
Last bumped on Aug 12, 2017, 5:06:24 PM
Last edited by Lord_Tao on May 23, 2017, 12:23:02 AM
Looks very interesting! Have you tried any guardians?
"
l3sfin3st wrote:

I haven't tried any guardians yet...haven't had a map drop yet.

This build should be able to deal with them. It would have been able to deal with the Vaal temple map with a proper wand, as I could have killed the tentacle miscreation quickly enough to stop her rain of splinters safely.

This character relies on potions for damage mitigation, so run out of potions and you are a character with 6.6 ES. That should just be enough to take a blast from the Shaper if you don't dodge it properly.....just.

The build can also drop the Veteran Bowyer ascendancy for the one that gives flask charges on critical strikes so flask management is not really a problem in boss fights.

Mathil did a Shaper run with his elemental Wander, and it is similar to mine. I sacrifice some damage nodes for the shield nodes, and use reckless defense instead of DPS jewels. In all, theoretical damage is still around 1 million dps just like his build (only slightly lower). However it has waaaay more block chance, physical reduction, and elemental mitigation than his has. I think the main reason why my build (if it had a proper wand) does similar damage is that Mathil's Dying Sun (ruby flask) is counter productive with the Wise Oak. I use GMP in my barrage link which makes up a lot of ground for the lack of a dying sun.

*EDIT* Looking over his first video, he is running a 5 link, and my build actually does more DPS than his does without dying sun up. Shows how much better this build would be with a proper wand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea1vlyrnxHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e4518ZYSeM

I know those videos don't pertain to this build specifically, but since they are similar enough the different ground that his build covers should inspire anyone looking to play this type of build. More information is better :)

Also he claims that wanders are great currency sinks which is totally true, but my build seems to keep up with his build using a cheap unique wand, and mid range gear.
Last edited by Lord_Tao on May 26, 2017, 7:43:06 PM
"
Lord_Tao wrote:
"
l3sfin3st wrote:

This build should be able to deal with them. It would have been able to deal with the Vaal temple map with a proper wand, as I could have killed the tentacle miscreation quickly enough to stop her rain of splinters safely.

This character relies on potions for damage mitigation, so run out of potions and you are a character with 6.6 ES. That should just be enough to take a blast from the Shaper if you don't dodge it properly.....just.

The build can also drop the Veteran Bowyer ascendancy for the one that gives flask charges on critical strikes so flask management is not really a problem in boss fights.

Mathil did a Shaper run with his elemental Wander, and it is similar to mine. I sacrifice some damage nodes for the shield nodes, and use reckless defense instead of DPS jewels. In all, theoretical damage is still around 1 million dps just like his build (only slightly lower). However it has waaaay more block chance, physical reduction, and elemental mitigation than his has. I think the main reason why my build (if it had a proper wand) does similar damage is that Mathil's Dying Sun (ruby flask) is counter productive with the Wise Oak. I use GMP in my barrage link which makes up a lot of ground for the lack of a dying sun.

*EDIT* Looking over his first video, he is running a 5 link, and my build actually does more DPS than his does without dying sun up. Shows how much better this build would be with a proper wand.

I know those videos don't pertain to this build specifically, but since they are similar enough the different ground that his build covers should inspire anyone looking to play this type of build. More information is better :)

Also he claims that wanders are great currency sinks which is totally true, but my build seems to keep up with his build using a cheap unique wand, and mid range gear.

Dont think its a good comparison - Im pretty sure Mathil uses completely different build focused mostly on DMG.

Also because how PF scaling works you pretty much have to work with 4 predefined flasks for Wanderer:

Oak / Vinktars / Dyin Sun / Diamond + something (most likely Silver of Adrenaline) there is no really a place for Rumis in this setup :/
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
Last edited by eragon1111 on May 30, 2017, 3:58:05 AM
"
eragon1111 wrote:
"
Lord_Tao wrote:
"
l3sfin3st wrote:

Dont think its a good comparison - Im pretty sure Mathil uses completely different build focused mostly on DMG.

Also because how PF scaling works you pretty much have to work with 4 predefined flasks for Wanderer:

Oak / Vinktars / Dyin Sun / Diamond + something (most likely Silver of Adrenaline) there is no really a place for Rumis in this setup :/

His tree is nearly identical. I moved two of the lightning damage nodes and the mini wand cluster to shield nodes. Then used reckless defense instead of rare jewels.

Other than that, what I lose in not having a dying sun, I make up with GMP, thunderfist, and the extra damage on Incandescent Heart.

Put another way: With a minor re-allocation of his build (5 passives, different gloves and chest piece), it does slightly less damage, but gains huge amounts of survive-ability with max block, near max spell block.

There is tons of room for Rumi's in this build as it does decent DPS. Rumi's is also a huge source of damage mitigation let alone reflect mitigation.
Any pointers on how to drift towards your build from level 58?
@Lord_Tao

You do know how potent 4 Stat Rare Jewel's are?
Def. not comparable with Mathil's Build no matter what.

The "mini" Wand Cluster offer's you a lot of Acc. and Attack Speed.
Since i can't really find a lot of Acc. on your gear i have my doubt's about your chance to hit.

Yet i'm really looking forward into YOUR build with better gear.

Go get +2 Barrage Helmet, 6th link and Dying sun.
I would drop Rotgut / Basalt Flask for it.

There is so much potential in your Build, so much that can be improved Gearwise.

Looking forward.
Last edited by Toma_Hawk on May 31, 2017, 11:58:24 AM
"
SiCkGFX wrote:
Any pointers on how to drift towards your build from level 58?

It depends on your tree.

First off if you are going CI, you need stun mitigation of some sort. 75% block rate doesn't help you if those blocks are stunning you.

Whether it is a CI build or not, 3 jewel slots, 3 reckless defenses, a Rumi's, and the flask nodes in the Witch section are the bulk of the defense.

If you are already geared to CI, it may be easier to get into an Incandescent Heart and get a high ES shield, then take the 5 shield nodes. Keep in mind the strength requirement for incandescent Heart (this is why my tree has the attack speed and projectile nodes in the duelist tree). However the high block chance offers the most mitigation for the build.

For damage the large wand wheel at the top of the tree is the single best source of DPS for any wand build. Those crit/crit multiplier nodes are huge for damage. They are almost the equivalent boost to damage as the major notables selected in the tree I provide.

Obviously you need some damage, but with those two types of mitigation it makes progression a lot easier.

"
Toma_Hawk wrote:
@Lord_Tao

You do know how potent 4 Stat Rare Jewel's are?
Def. not comparable with Mathil's Build no matter what.

The "mini" Wand Cluster offer's you a lot of Acc. and Attack Speed.
Since i can't really find a lot of Acc. on your gear i have my doubt's about your chance to hit.

Yet i'm really looking forward into YOUR build with better gear.

Go get +2 Barrage Helmet, 6th link and Dying sun.
I would drop Rotgut / Basalt Flask for it.

There is so much potential in your Build, so much that can be improved Gearwise.

Looking forward.

Yeah there is huge potential in this build, and this is the way I am trying to present it, because putting up a build needing a pocket full of exalts is only useful to veteran players. However, since this build does great as it is, it is useful for players who are just getting into the analysis of building POE characters. That's why I suggest what this build could do with good gear (I assumed that veteran players know the obvious such as Dying Sun, and Helm enchant). Feel free to run this build as it is (+ whatever great gear you have). You should be surprised :) (read below).

I am going off of the DPS shown in Mathil's video (5 link at the time) with the damage shown in my build also using Path of Building.

Yes, damage jewels are huge, but not as huge as 20% of damage added as chaos, or 50 average flat lightning damage to attacks (Mathil went nothing but ES for his gloves and chest). To make up for the lack of energy shield due to that gear allocation, I used the jewels for defense instead. So my gear makes up for the lack of damage jewels. This overall allocation technically does slightly more DPS than his build does (not counting the Dying Sun). I could still go damage jewels, but 3 jewels + a Rumi's for so much mitigation is the highlight of the build. In my opinion it faaaar outweights having more damage.

There is still room for a dying sun if need be, and for the barrage enchant, but currently aren't needed (Naturally they are on the list of things to spend multiple exalts on when I get that saved up).

As for accuracy, there are two nodes taken in the Duelist section because the strength is also needed. These can be switched for the Wand accuracy node if you have enough strength.

Anyway, at level 100, my chance to hit is 93% with Piscator's Vigil. It is 91% with random rare wand with no added accuracy. Keep in mind all of the accuracy gained in the large Wand wheel along with the attack speed. Because of that wheel, I only needed a sprinkling of accuracy on my gear. Naturally there is tons of room for better jewelry still to push to 95% chance to hit with more added accuracy, while still having flat additions to damage ;)

*edit* I didn't have shock on enemy turned on (I don't think Mathil did either). With that the build goes from 600k to 900k. With the 100% increased shock duration from Thunderfist and the shock from Vinktar that should leave some shocks on bosses for this calc to be relevant.
Last edited by Lord_Tao on May 31, 2017, 9:58:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info