Understanding Corrupted Gems

Hi,

I would like understand why to take gems corrupted. I don't talk about vaal corrupted, but for exemple "Faster Attacks Support" which is corrupted ..

Thanks !
Last bumped on Feb 24, 2017, 2:05:54 PM
Hello,

Items are usually corrupted by a player using a Vaal Orb on them. Vaal Orbs modify items randomly, so using them is a gamble. There is a few reasons to use one on skill gems;

• It might become a Vaal Skill Gem. One of the most commonly used skill gems in the entire game is Vaal Discipline. This is often created by using a Vaal Orb on a Discipline skill gem.
  • Using a Vaal Orb on a skill gem has a chance to change its level by one. If you level a skill gem up to the cap of 20 and use a Vaal Orb on it, it might become level 21.
  • The usual quality cap for skill gems is 20%, but Vaal Orbs can increase the quality of a skill gem up to 23%. This makes skill gems more powerful than is otherwise possible.

Also, it's possible the skill gem was corrupted when it dropped initially.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 24, 2017, 1:13:47 PM
Yeah, the most common reason to corrupt a gem is that it is the only way to get level 21 or 23 quality gems.
U MAD?
So, is there no charge for using them (not vaal gems)? And with corruption, we cannot levelup the gem?
Is it better to use only gem corrupted?

"
Setsuneh wrote:
So, is there no charge for using them (not vaal gems)? And with corruption, we cannot levelup the gem?

Corrupted gems are still just regular gems. The only thing that changes is that you cannot use currency items on them, like any other corrupted item (so you cannot use GCPs on them). Corrupted gems can still level up. Unless you are trying to turn a gem into a vaal gem, there is no reason to corrupt a gem that is under level 20.
U MAD?
"
Setsuneh wrote:
So, is there no charge for using them (not vaal gems)?

The Corrupted property just means you can't use a Vaal Orb on them.

Otherwise they'll function exactly the same as normal. :)

"
Setsuneh wrote:
And with corruption, we cannot levelup the gem?

You can level up the gem normally.

However it's possible the level cap will be 19 instead of 20.

"
Setsuneh wrote:

Making a skill gem corrupted means using a Vaal Orb on it, which is currency you could be using to trade with other players. Vaal Orbs are for gambling - if there's a particular outcome you want, then you can take a risk if you want to. But otherwise it's not worth it.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 24, 2017, 2:09:00 PM
"
Sarno wrote:

However it's possible the level cap will be 19 instead of 20.

No. This is not true. If you vaal a level 20 gem, and it goes to 19, you can still level it back to 20.
U MAD?
"
Docbp87 wrote:
"
Setsuneh wrote:

Corrupted gems are still just regular gems. The only thing that changes is that you cannot use currency items on them, like any other corrupted item (so you cannot use GCPs on them). Corrupted gems can still level up. Unless you are trying to turn a gem into a vaal gem, there is no reason to corrupt a gem that is under level 20.

So items ith "+2 lvl socked" does not work? Do you recommend to me choose only corrupted item? :)
What do you mean? +gem levels on items have nothing to do with it. Regardless of whether or not a gem is corrupted they still get the +levels from items, if socketed in an item with +levels.

Corrupting is the only way to get over level 20 on the gem itself.
U MAD?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info