[2.6] NOT HoWa Claws / Lightning Strike 300k+ ToolTip / 74|50 Dodge / SUPER Cheap / starter friendly

This guide is still in progress and I will be updating it whenever I get the chance. Any questions feel free to ask!

Hi everyone! This is a build I crafted and started building in Hardcore Prophecy but never had the chance to finish because of school. Came back to see HOWA builds dominating most of claw builds which motivated me to upload this guide. I ended up building it in Standard since most of the gear was already there and it's safe to say, this turned out much better than I thought it would. I can't say it outperforms HOWA builds in any way since I haven't played it but this is can be a great alternative if you'd like to play something new! However, I haven't tried much of the new content yet so I'm not sure what it's fully capable of as of now. In terms of stats, 120k+ tooltip dps and solid defenses can be easily achieved even with a 2 exalt budget since the gear providing most of the damage costs only a few chaos!

Updates
-Updated some figures for 2.6
-Separate Passive trees for starting out and leveling tips section

Concept:
Frenzy charges are the core of this build. The Raider ascendancy tree grants us additional effects from frenzy charges and allows 100% uptime on frenzy charges, providing us a great offense (100k+ fully sustainable dps) as well as defense (74/50 dodge). Lightning Strike will be our main skill due to how powerful and versatile it is.

Why Lightning Strike? (Tooltip DPS included)
Using lightning strike and the physical to lightning gem, we are able to convert 100% of our physical damage to lightning. With 52% lightning penetration, high ele resist and even EQ maps won't slow you down too much. Lightning strike is great for mob clearing but can also be used effectively for single target as well. (175% base damage) It grants 7 additional projectiles for free and the free chaining we get from Touch of Anguish means no gems have to be swapped for bossfights!

Tooltip DPS- Fully Sustainable (Frenzy charges, golem, auras)

Tooltip DPS Fully Self Buffed (flasks, vaal haste, totem)

Defenses
This build includes a number of defenses:

Decent health pool: Currently has 5.2k at level 92

Immune to all elemental ailments

74% attack dodge and 50% spell dodge with flasks (Can be pushed higher with enchants/corruptions)

Physical mitigation from lightning coil and taste of hate

Purity of lightning for 81% lightning resistance (For lightning coil and reflect)

2% of damage life leech, 40% increased life leech rate, and 46 life gained every hit (.11 attacks per second and chaining makes this incredibly strong)

Vessel of Vinktar for additional lightning resistance (For lightning coil and reflect) and leech

CWDT Immortal call setup

Freezing and chilling enemies to slow down enemies and shatter them

Reflect is handled pretty easily because we have 74% chance to dodge reflect, have fast leech, and have purity of lightning

Ascendancy

Way of the Poacher: This should be grabbed first since it will be the main source of your frenzy charges. With this node, you should be able to sustain your frenzy charges at all times without having to use blood rage or frenzy (assuming you are soloing)

Avatar of the Slaughter: This can be taken second or last depending on your playstyle. It increases the effect of your frenzy charges and grants an additional charge as well, significantly increasing your dps. Avatar of the Veil should probably be taken first if you decide to play this build on Hardcore.

Quartz Infusion: This node doesn't provide you with anything new but the 6% dodge will allow you to bring our dodge to 74%

Avatar of the Veil: This gives you full immunity to elemental ailments which is huge because it allows much more freedom over gear choices. Flasks especially. The 10% spell dodge and 40% increased elemental damage both benefit the build as well.

Core Items:

Although not exactly required, these claws are ideal for this build due to it's synergy with lightning strike and the ascendancy. Not only does it provide great base damage, it also adds a chaining effect to your lightning strike and helps sustain your charges. Because we dual wield them, it is an effective chain gem (chain twice) without any damage penalty, making it a 7-link essentially. We also receive an additional 60% increased cold damage making the hatred aura a bit stronger to improve freezes done to enemies. The increased crit chance allows us to apply more consistent shocks, and the downside can be completely neglected because of how fast we attack and the additional 20% chance to freeze. These can probably be replaced by GG rare claws however if you want even more dps.

These boots are mainly used for the 2% dodge with each frenzy. It also comes with an additional frenzy charge for more dps! With 9 frenzy charges up at all time, you will have 64% dodge which can be increased to 74% with a flask, bringing you to near max. Having the +1 frenzy corruption is really nice here (but expensive!) however some enchantments may be worth considering as well. The reduced frenzy charge duration is mostly cancelled out by the Raider's Ascendancy making the only downside to these boots the reduced light radius and lack of hp.
Other Uniques

I originally wanted to use Hyrri's Ire to have max dodge 24/7 but realized the chances of obtaining the right colors on the chest were near impossible. (5 off colors on 197 requirement!) I happened to find a 6L lightning coil lying around in my stash and have concluded it to be much more useful. Not only are the colors easy to roll, it also comes with sweet physical mitigation which is usually a nightmare on evasion/dodge builds. The additional life and lightning damage are a nice bonus as well!

Pros and Cons
+ High DPS/clearspeed and several layers of defense for high survivability
+ Lightning strike is very satisfying to play. Chain and shatter them all!
+ Never have to switch out any gems. (All support gems can scale for both single target and AOE)
+ CHEAP to start building. (4 Exalts for a 6L lightning coil is 80% of the costs)
+ Lots of variation since only a few unique items are used

- RIP FPS (Might want to switch out for frost blades in parties)
- Takes a few seconds to build up frenzy charges if you lose them
- Chaos resist might be hard to get up
- Smaller light radius make dark maps kind of annoying

Gem Links
Chest
-Lightning Strike
-Physical to Lightning
-Weapon Elemental Damage
-MultiStrike
-Lightning Penetration
-Faster Attacks or Melee Physical Damage or Increased Critical Strikes/Elemental Focus

For the 6th gem: Faster attacks is the best option if you want to make full use of the 6th link. It affects damage output for both single target and the projectiles while also increasing survivability by having life gain on hit being applied faster. Melee Physical Damage will only affect the melee portion of Lightning Strike which will greatly boost your single target damage. This might be the better option if you are farming bosses. Increased Crit Strikes can be used as well for more consistent crits and allow you to recharge some of your flasks back faster. Elemental Focus can be used to switch out Increased Crit Strikes if maps have mods that reduce your crit effectiveness or are immune to elemental ailments.

Helmet/Gloves/Boots
-Whirling Blades
-Faster Attacks
-Fortify
-Frenzy

Helmet/Gloves/Boots
-Immortal Call
-Cast on Damage Taken
-Increased Duration
-Vaal Haste

Helmet/Gloves/Boots
-Hatred
-Purity of Lightning
-Enlighten
-Elemental Weakness

Claws
-Summon Lightning Golem
-Ancestral Protector
-Minion/Totem Resistance

Claws
-Vaal Lightning Strike
-MultiStrike
-Weapon Elemental Damage

These are the links I currently use but can be modified accordingly to your playstyle

My Gear

Passive Tree, Leveling Tips

Pretty straight-forward, I suggest starting with the duelist area first taking all the main hp nodes for survivability. Any good claws/swords/daggers you find can be dual-wielded to level up. Frost blades is my personal preference to level up but spectral throw and wild fury are also other nice options.

Continue to level with any claws/swords/daggers until you hit 68. Go for Revenge of the Hunted and Forces of Nature first. Then make your way up to the shadow pathing around until you get Coordination. The leech nodes at the duelist can be taken also to reduce flask spamming. You can start grabbing the frenzy charges as soon as you get Way of the Poacher Ascendancy. Darkray Vectors can be used when you get to level 65.

As soon as you hit 68 things will go much smoother! Equip the claws and take out Lightning Strike. Go for the claw ring on the right side of the tree first. When you take Soul Raker unspec out of the hybrid mana/life leech node at the duelist. Then make your way to Arcing Blows grabbing the final claw nodes and hp cluster. Jewel sockets can be taken whenever you get your hands on good jewels and the final Acrobatics nodes can be taken last. (Or first if you prioritize defense)

If you plan to 'complete' the build, Primeval Force seems to be the best choice for the additional 5% penetration and reduced reflect damage taken. This is the skill tree for level 99 or 100 depending on your bandit choice in Normal.

Bandits

Normal
40hp or Passive Point

Cruel
8% Attack Speed

Merciless
Frenzy Charge

More to come!
ign - happycabbaged
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2918696
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2920423
Last edited by happycabbaged on Mar 9, 2017, 6:05:12 PM
Last bumped on Aug 10, 2017, 1:49:47 AM
I've always loved the feel and playstyle of lightning strike and always include vaal lighting strike as it can provide a huge burst to single target damage on minimal links. Have you tried using vaal lightning strike instead of vengeance maybe? Lightning strike has such incredible range plus you usually have a fast whirling blades when are you ever in range of mobs to make good use a melee counter attack linked to leech when you already have 2% leech from the duelist area? That's definitely one thing I switch up if i were playing a build like this and recommend trying or considering.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
"
p0t wrote:
Have you tried using vaal lightning strike instead of vengeance maybe? Lightning strike has such incredible range plus you usually have a fast whirling blades when are you ever in range of mobs to make good use a melee counter attack linked to leech when you already have 2% leech from the duelist area? That's definitely one thing I switch up if i were playing a build like this and recommend trying or considering.

I always thought VLS was kind of underwhelming so I hadn't really considered it. Took your suggestion and after a couple runs, and now I think it may as well be my new favorite vaal skill! I didn't realize you get 3 charges, and found it very useful for bosses. The vengeance setup was just there for face-tanking high hp enemies and having that bit of leech was quite nice sometimes. However, I found VLS with life leech can basically do the same but much better (more reliable leech while also providing significant damage) A VLS setup is definitely worth investing into and might be worth dropping vaal haste to put into a 4L even. I'll include this into the guide when I get the chance, thank you for the feedback!!
ign - happycabbaged
Last edited by happycabbaged on Feb 15, 2017, 3:58:43 AM
is it possible to start with this build in the upcoming legacy league?
"
sharbe wrote:
is it possible to start with this build in the upcoming legacy league?

Yes, I believe it can be done quite comfortably since the 'core' items of this build are usually fairly cheap. This should allow you to approach endgame at a pretty fast pace. Lightning coil might be a bit pricey early in the league but if you are playing a little more cautiously, there are a number of other affordable chests worth considering. (Lightning coil is just my personal preference for endgame) Another thing to note, is that running a 5L should have similar mob clearspeed to what I have in the preview video, since the melee physical damage gem I used there doesn't apply to the projectiles.
ign - happycabbaged
Last edited by happycabbaged on Feb 16, 2017, 6:22:33 AM
Skill (is it Static Strike?) you use in video is pretty awkward and hard to scale really high. How this gonna work with Blade Flurry? How it's gonna fair as League starter?
Myself and LS go a looong loong way back. Always loved the skill but still can't stand the way it hits pebbles and stops. With regards to your links: melee physical damage does not actually benefit the projectile component of your attack. Considering you've probably got shift binded together with your attack skill and that you're using the projectile component of the skill 90% of the time, you'll probably want to switch melee physical damage for something else to help you clear maps quicker.
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Hey, how do u get 60k without frenzy charges?? Im in lvl 82 and with a 5l and I only hit 10k without frenzy charges. My gems still need to lvl up though. Is the helmet ench. important? BTW, im missing uber lab.
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
Skill (is it Static Strike?) you use in video is pretty awkward and hard to scale really high. How this gonna work with Blade Flurry? How it's gonna fair as League starter?

Lightning strike is actually quite nice because it allows 100% of physical to lightning conversion. This means your damage can be scaled off both physical as well as elemental damage. Blade furry wouldn't give the full 100% conversion, so it would be less effective I think. I think it would be a nice build to start since the claws can be bought for like 5 chaos each. (Weapon is typically the most expensive item for a build)
ign - happycabbaged
"
Hey, how do u get 60k without frenzy charges?? Im in lvl 82 and with a 5l and I only hit 10k without frenzy charges. My gems still need to lvl up though. Is the helmet ench. important? BTW, im missing uber lab.

Alot of it has to do with the flat physical damage I get from my gear. Dual wielding just the claws on a tabula rasa (with astramentis for attribute requirements) with hatred and golem up, I get about 37k dps. (Weapon Elemental Damage, Multistrike, Phys to Light, Faster Attacks, Lightning Penetration). Without faster attacks, it sits at 30k. So if you are following my passive tree, your damage shouldn't be lower (or too much lower) than this with 20/20 gems at level 92. I believe it is just a matter of the skill tree and unleveled gems.

As for the helm enchant, it's something to work for if you'd like to try to max out your character, but not needed at all. It bumps my dps up by 4k (64-68) so you can use that for reference with the uber lab ascendancy for the 40% increased elemental damage.
ign - happycabbaged
Last edited by happycabbaged on Feb 18, 2017, 1:19:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info