[2.5] The Towel Slap Terror! RF+Flame Surge Inquisitor! 4Guardians Down!

I have always been a fan of RF builds due to the simple mechanics. Every league I've played I've always made an RF flame surge build as my go-to build. Durable. Reliable. Guaranteed to take you places.

Righteous Fire (RF) is a very unique skill that provides an fire degen to all enemies in range. It's very unique in PoE as it is one of the few sources of self damage and also a global more multiplier to spell damage. RF is one of the few abilities that can turn your defensive capabilities into offensive capabilities. This concept is key to everything in this build.

Pros and Cons
Pros:Tanky
Boss Melter
Tanky
Able to walking-simulator trash clear with good gear
Tanky
Laugh off lab traps
Tanky
Cheap-ish.

Cons:Mob clear falls apart in large party play (mobs have too much health for RF)
Life based
Not as fast as dedicated clearspeed builds
Required to Facetank bosses to melt them
Cannot run "no life regen" mods. Reduced regen mods are possible if you forgo RF or use careful flask management

The Premise
The Premise

Flame Surge is our main boss melter. You simply stack more "more" multipliers all day and then watch as bosses melt when you so much as look at them. RF provides the burning conditional to make full use of the 50% more attached to it. Do not be dismayed when you run out of mana. That's a good thing. Just let the Consecrated Ground do it's work and swoop back in when you're full again. There may have been a time when this ability sounded awesome, but after playing so long, it merely sounds like wet towel slaps to me.

We stack life and str to boost our RF and Iron Will support gems, allowing us to bolster both attack and defense at the same time. This streamlines any defensive problems that should arise.

Using the unique multi-hit mechanics of Orb of Storms, we can regularly have Elemental Overload up for pack clearing along with Warlord's Mark for leech+Endurance Charges and Flammability for more DPS. Our obscene Flame Surge cast speed will provide EO for boss fights.

Pious Path allows us to streamline our Flasks, as we need only worry about bleed and Curses since elemental modifiers will have no effect.

Playstyle
For clearing, you simply Shield Charge+Orb of storms about for clearing.

When it comes to bosses/tough rares, let loose the fury of 10000 slaps. T10 and under bosses tend to either melt so fast or be permastunned unto death that I cannot tell the difference.

Tougher bosses require more flask management and movement. Keep up fortify+Instruments of Virtue with Shield Charge, keep your flasks on an even keel with Overflowing Chalice. Pick your opportunities then facemelt.

Pictures!

Hideout, RF+Auras, no Flasks

Hideout, Flasks, Instruments of Virtue

All that+EO

Keep in mind these damage photos do not include another 50% more from burning.

Defenses with Flasks

Leveling
I'd suggest leveling as Earthquake as the quickest and most pain free leveling experience. Just follow the tree formats.

Bandits: Oak, Passive, Oak.

1-15
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAE8EQ8hboKdVfA5o8vAfogAEs8BmRUcy0evumuBFnVNS

This will get you started on the right path.

15-65
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAE8EQ8hboKdVfA5o8vAfogAEs8BmRUcy0evumuBFnVNSHNy4kyj6gsf56EGHtz6DzDwtxq4MXxynU6UZLiftBg7UfAn2UEfvDhQgXz_BBHloqW534wHchNlHfr02ZU1ko2EhhO_awXTtBS16776n2WFXDdIh8awpLp7NVbXE9g==

You want to stack as much regen when leveling so you can start using RF outright when you hit 65.

Level 90
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAQHcBLMFLQYOCfYMUgxfFCAWbxhqGS4cpxzcHRQfGCftKPopLimLKo0y0TWSNtg6WDrhPC09_EGHQ8hFR0WdR35JG03jTwRQR1H7U1JTpVW1VcZWSFcNWAdYY1ugXz9hIWSjZU1odGjydO1343gveWh8DnxLfOWAMIIHgseDX4PMg9uE2YTvjM-PGo9GlnSa4Jtum6Gce57NogCmV6cIp1WoualurJitjbc-uJO9Nr6nwGbBBMRYxPbGrs0Wz37SIdR82CTYvdlh2mLawd-G42rr7uxV7WHvDvAf8WzxrPJB8kX2SPfX-ej60v4K_o8=

Ascendancy
Instruments of Virtue->Sanctify->Pious Path->Augury of Penitence

Gear

This build only requires 2 uniques. Doon Cuebiyari and Rise of the Phoenix. Everything else is optional.

For your chestpiece, I'd suggest just going with a armor/es 6L. I've blown through countless currency attempting to 5 blue an astral plate in past leagues. Just go with armor/es and sell the overflow Chromatic Orbs.

As of Breach League, Best in slot Helmet will be The Formless Inferno. We stack tons of fire resist already, so being able to also mitigate physical damage is a huge benefit. Should Breach League not be continued, go with either any well rolled rare or Voll's Vision. This is also true for Xoph's Blood. The ash debuff is valuable.

Try to include some Chaos Resist somewhere in your gear, you'll thank me when you take on t16 Malachi.

Overflowing Chalice
Let's talk about
for a moment. This is an incredibly valuable Flask. With our Ascendancy, it gives us our Consecrated Ground, 40% more damage, and faster recharge on our other flasks. This powers our Ruby Flask and our Rumi's, giving us higher max fire resist and block, both mitigating damage and allowing more of our baseline regen to be in effect.

You'll have to get the hang of piano'ing your flasks when using it, as it doesn't gain charges when in effect. A good thing to do is make sure all your other flasks are capable of at least 2 sips at full charges.

If Chalice is your 5th flask, the cycle is this:
Flasks 1-5
Lowest duration flask expires
Flasks 1-4
Wait for Chalice to be full
Repeat.

Gem Links

6L: Flame Surge, Elemental Focus, Spell Echo, Concentrated Effect, (5L)Controlled Destruction, (6L) Iron will

4L:Orb of Storms, Curse on Hit, Warlord's Mark, Flammability. If running lots of damage mods, swap out Flammability for either Enfeeble or Temp Chains.

4L:Righteous Fire, Increased Area of Effect, Elemental Focus, Increased Burning Damage.

4L:Cast when Damage taken (20), Molten Shell, Increased Duration, Immortal Call.

3L:Shield Charge, Fortify, Summon Flame Golem

3L:Purity of Fire, Vitality, Enduring Cry

Jewels
All out: Fire Damage, Area Damage, Life.

Budget:Anything with life. Area Damage+Life is cheapest at the moment.

If you ever have to make a choice, always choose area damage. It boosts both RF and flame surge damage.

Last edited by Tsokushin on Jan 24, 2017, 9:17:40 PM
Last bumped on Jul 18, 2017, 2:31:43 AM
Reserved. Formatting posts is a pain.
Guardians down!
"
Tsokushin wrote:
after playing so long, it merely sounds like wet towel slaps to me.

Missed an opportunity with naming the build here I think.

Actual critique:
Crop your tooltip pictures. It's annoying to open them up in new tabs to see the tooltips. (What are these, pictures for ants?)

I count 14.2% life regen on tree. With your vitality, add 1.64%. No aura effectiveness nodes. 1.5% on boots (when hit recently) So we're up to 17.3% regen peak. How do you feel it does with a non-RotP shield, with Leo's mod (for more stats)? Also, would you give any thought to leech etc. ?

And finally, No love for empower + vaaled PoF for +1?

Cheers
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
"
Kwitch wrote:
"
Tsokushin wrote:
after playing so long, it merely sounds like wet towel slaps to me.

Missed an opportunity with naming the build here I think.

Actual critique:
Crop your tooltip pictures. It's annoying to open them up in new tabs to see the tooltips. (What are these, pictures for ants?)

I count 14.2% life regen on tree. With your vitality, add 1.64%. No aura effectiveness nodes. 1.5% on boots (when hit recently) So we're up to 17.3% regen peak. How do you feel it does with a non-RotP shield, with Leo's mod (for more stats)? Also, would you give any thought to leech etc. ?

And finally, No love for empower + vaaled PoF for +1?

Cheers

I'll fix the pictures shortly.

Consecrated ground also adds another 4% life/mana regen. So, it'll be 21.3% at peak. It could work with a non-RoTP shield with a bit more flask management. RotP wins hands down when there are no ruby flasks active, but both are comparable when you get that +6 max from them.

So, if you're willing to invest into crafting a good Leo shield, go for it. You'll pull far more DPS and tank capabilities.

I had considered the +1 for empower and Vaaled PoF. The only reason I didn't is because I highly value Enduring Cry. On Demand endurance charges make for good tankiness and is clutch for boss fights if you happen to be empty on flask charges and are too lazy or don't feel like using a portal (I personally find them cheesy).

I also have a second RotP shield with a corrupted white socket where I sometimes swap out Vitality for Purity of Lightning for Uber Atziri runs or Vaal Lighting Trap.

All in all, you can very well go in any of those directions if you happen to use this build, but RotP with Enduring Cry, Vitality, and Purity of Fire will be the cheapest investment for good results.
Last edited by Tsokushin on Jan 24, 2017, 9:35:16 PM
Want your build renamed in the listing btw?
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
Any updates on this build? Is it LHC viable? You drew me in with that huge single target.
#alphalife
This isnt a guide....its an appaling fraction of an apology for a guide....even the passive tree links dont work..

Useless would be an understatement as to the chronic failure that exists on this page......

Skill tree links worked fine for me. Was looking for a fire themed build for when (if) I pick up the Kitava armor set (damn you GGG and your sexy MTX). I stumbled on this and it looks solid to me unless I'm totally mis reading it. Looking forward to trying it out soon.
Um? Do you even have videos for proof?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info