Auras and PvP

First of I feel I should say I don't really pvp in this game, and I wouldn't even be doing it at all if it wasn't for LEO and his mods! Its the reason I put off leveling him for ages! I prefer a PVP style like WoW arena offers, where it comes down to skill, attention to detail, and teamwork/communication skills...not who can blow the other person up first in the first few seconds!

However with that being said, one thing I noticed I don't like, and totally confuses me on why it is the way it is, is auras! Why do they turn off at the start of a match, for each round, as well as in the arena! And why is there no time set aside in "safety" to turn them on?! Not many builds are designed around no aura's at all, and I am just trying to understand the reasoning behind why this is?! For instance my low life blade vortex char runs with many auras, 5 to be exact, how am I suppose to turn those on before the other player rushes me?! And do this every time?! Maybe there is a reasoning I am not picking up on?! It just seams rather bizarre for a game that offers so many aura choices to not allow players the time to turn them on!

I would like to see them stay on upon entering both arena and match ups, even persist through death...why its not that way is just making my head hurt!!! But like I said, maybe I am just missing something......?!
Last bumped on Aug 21, 2016, 4:50:39 AM
"
justinmm1988 wrote:
First of I feel I should say I don't really pvp in this game, and I wouldn't even be doing it at all if it wasn't for LEO and his mods! Its the reason I put off leveling him for ages! I prefer a PVP style like WoW arena offers, where it comes down to skill, attention to detail, and teamwork/communication skills...not who can blow the other person up first in the first few seconds!

However with that being said, one thing I noticed I don't like, and totally confuses me on why it is the way it is, is auras! Why do they turn off at the start of a match, for each round, as well as in the arena! And why is there no time set aside in "safety" to turn them on?! Not many builds are designed around no aura's at all, and I am just trying to understand the reasoning behind why this is?! For instance my low life blade vortex char runs with many auras, 5 to be exact, how am I suppose to turn those on before the other player rushes me?! And do this every time?! Maybe there is a reasoning I am not picking up on?! It just seams rather bizarre for a game that offers so many aura choices to not allow players the time to turn them on!

I would like to see them stay on upon entering both arena and match ups, even persist through death...why its not that way is just making my head hurt!!! But like I said, maybe I am just missing something......?!

you should make a build without auras. everybody would get 6+ auras and one shot each other otherwise. auras are huge bonuses and you gotta pay some time in start of the round in return to be able to cast them.

i'd make low life LA as inquisitor build, lvl 26 wrath, lvl 26 anger, would get 100% aoe and probably one shot even 15k life from distance. pre casted auras for each round would cause totally broken and braindead strategies to happen
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on Aug 20, 2016, 9:25:30 PM
Not using Aura is a strategic choice, you give up extra damages or defenses in order to be able to rushdown your opponent. Considering how powerfull auras can be it's a perfectly balanced solution.
But you already one shot each-other, so...not seeing a point here! lol...I mean what you are saying would make sense if it held true, but ive got leo up to level 4 now...and every match is the same, one shot dead...whether its you or them is entirely on who can get their shit off first and not miss! Every match last 2 or 3 sec tops! lol
Last edited by justinmm1988 on Aug 20, 2016, 9:33:45 PM
"
justinmm1988 wrote:
But you already one shot each-other, so...not seeing a point here! lol...I mean what you are saying would make sense if it held true, but ive got leo up to level 4 now...and every match is the same, one shot dead...whether its you or them is entirely on who can get their shit off first and not miss! Every match last 2 or 3 sec tops! lol

its not that simple,

after amount of 6k damage per initial hit, it gets really hard to add more damage on top of that. 6k initial hit ad 7k initial hit has like 50% damage difference in tooltip. 200k dps, and 300k dps lightning arrow have like 10-20% dps differnece only actually in pvp. probably i have the highest damage dealing 'attack' in the game, and i deal 8.5k damage when somebody is far(LA gets a secondary damage) and when there is a wall, i can hit very very hard. but the thing is, m inital hits are like 6k max. and that is MAX.

all pvp builds must have 7k life at least to be able to viable.(its more complicated than that but everybody knows what im talkin about) mines & traps are another case cause they dont get hurt by pvp damage formula like other skills, so they can one shot really easily.

lets say, with current standards, we would like to one shot each other less than 'having all auras on' option. starting rouns without auras on gives more trategical depth to the game, the versus between rushing an putting auras on creates diversity and depth to the strategy to duels.

side note:
Spoiler

if you are ll vortex, just open your hatred or discipline, use clear mind jewel and rush to your opponent with flicker.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on Aug 20, 2016, 9:51:19 PM
It's incredibly unfun playing an aura build in pvp. In sarn arena you don't have time to cast 6 auras. There's no strategy to it, it's completely non viable if sarn arena is busy. And if sarn arena is almost empty, it's not fun to recast 6 auras after every death, especially with how poor the interface is with only 8 skill hotkeys. In 1v1 or ctf it's a no go period. There's no time.

GGG has already somewhat balanced low life builds by adding more downsides, with new items/ascendancies that give bonuses vs low life targets and culling 20%, as well as nerfing some of the things that made low life builds popular many patches ago (i.e. crown of eyes). And in the current meta it's a pretty massive downside to need to wear shavs + invest in chaos resist compared to a good ES chest and CI. I doubt many pvp builds would all of a sudden use 4+ auras if they were sticky-cast given the usefulness of gem sockets and gear alternatives in pvp.

Bottom line: having to recast many auras is a poor user experience. If there's a balance concern then balance the auras. If some sort of casting is required allow us to simultaneously cast more than 1 aura with a single hotkey (like a skill set loadout that we customize and activate; cap it if you like so many aura builds need 2 hotkeys (which is much much better than standing there through 6+ casting animations while fiddling with the hotkey boxes to find your auras)). IMO fun takes priority and the current implementation is about as far from fun as possible for characters that devote their builds to auras.

With respect to balance, please. Legacy rumis + pathfinder giving 75/75 block, legacy vinktar with 30% instant leech (after ggg nerfs 2% leech everywhere else to 0.2%), taste of hate surpassing hatred with flask effectiveness. Individual pots are more powerful than individual auras, which creates other balance problems when flask management becomes trivial. Seems silly to complain about auras at this point.

Ultimately I want to see GGG work toward making pvp fun for more builds, rather than continuing to say nty go play something else if you're an aura build, a totem build, melee, a non-srs minion build, most builds that rely on charge generation, etc.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Aug 21, 2016, 1:58:48 AM
Auras are powerful enough, if you want to use them you need a downside.

Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
No, many aura's are not powerful enough to mitigate the downside of recasting them after every death. If they were we'd actually see many aura builds in pvp. We don't. The only 6+ aura build I see enter sarn is mine and the experience isn't pleasant. There's not even a 5+ aura build anywhere in the 1v1 top 200 leaderboards on any realm in any league.

What you're referring to isn't a downside, it's an insurmountable barrier preventing an entire class of builds from being competitive (or most importantly, FUN). After 3 auras the viability starts dropping to nothing, and in 1v1 even just 2 auras is iffy.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Aug 21, 2016, 3:55:52 AM
GGG tried to popularize pvp at a time when low life aura builds were significantly better than everything else, on almost any type of build. I assume this played a role in their decision to not make arenas more aura friendly at the time. And now that they are not spending any more significant development effort on pvp, it's probably too late too expect a change.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info