Alternate option to make lab interesting...

First let me start by saying I'm neutral towards the Lab. I don't want it removed, but something serious needs to be done with to keep existing in the game. This thread is just to discuss ideas to help lab, not to argue or hate on the lab. The lab has already caused enough issues good and bad, so lets try to find ways to make it better without whiteknighting/doomslaying the lab. There are other threads that discuss both bad and good about the lab, so take discussion to those threads. I don't post often in forums and mainly just read a lot of forum feedback. Although most of the threads have legitimate points towards lab, it doesn't mean we have to gut it completely or leave it as is. If they move the points, I'll be happy, if they balance it with better ideas behind the lab I'll still be happy. But lab as it is now is horribly implemented idea.

With all the talk about ascendancy points behind Lab mechanics, what about just reworking the lab with some of the past league ideas that never made it into the game. Darkshrines are already in the Lab, so why not expand upon that idea.

First lets start with the traps. There needs to be less traps in the lab. The traps add no difficulty, or anything else for that matter. Just lightning warp/flame dash/whirling blades/leap slam/blink arrow over/through them. Not hard at all.

Next lets start with gold keys. Stop putting them behind time sinks of another room that I just run in a counterclockwise circle to get after passing boring traps and hitting switches just to get to the gold chest. Instead you could have Warbands guarding the gold key chest.

Now lets briefly talk about placing Tempests, Invasion, and Talisman throughout the lab. You could have these league mods in place of a lot of the traps. However you want to place them throughout the lab is up for discussion, as I believe it would be better than just 95% trap filled rooms. Onslaught might have a spot in the lab in certain instances. A lot of HC players talk about missing that “Oh S***!” moment from Onslaught. Well here's the chance to put it back in game for that occasion.

Lastly you can have Cadiro have a chance to spawn in treasure room after 3rd Izaro fight. The Perandus chests could spawn in secret rooms found throughout the lab. The chest mobs will need more work as the mobs drop fps and lag a lot of players.

As a bonus you could have Beyond mobs spawn and trap you in a room as you enter it.

In closing these league mods will have to be somewhat mild due to map mods costing currency and don't want the lab to effect the “economy”. Rampage mods aren't necessary because it adds zero difficulty whatsoever. I'm just looking for a way to make lab interesting, and somewhat difficult. Not breeze through with regen builds/evasion builds, and make the lab more open to other builds to complete it. This isn't say that those same builds that run through it with the traps still won't finish it, but open it up to other builds. These ideas probably won't stop builds from 1 shotting mobs in lab as well. But as I said before, this is just idea for discussion to bounce around, so nothing is set in stone about how these ideas can/can't be implemented. So it pretty much comes down to less trap bs, more mob slaying. Some of these changes could take some time to implement, which is understandable.

Thank you for taking the time to read this wall of text.
Last bumped on Jul 23, 2016, 8:11:57 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
fayt020 wrote:
Next lets start with gold keys. Stop putting them behind time sinks of another room that I just run in a counterclockwise circle to get after passing boring traps and hitting switches just to get to the gold chest. Instead you could have Warbands guarding the gold key chest.

This is a really cool idea.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
You sir,give some really cool & solid suggestions!

However, I think the lab haters are gonna rage even more if they added so much extra content to the lab they already hate..

But for fun's sake, I hope GGG implements some of your ideas.
The problem for me is the Izzy encounter. I don't trade. Never will. But this encounter wasn't designed to be beat with gear found as you play. It's way over-tuned for that. 20 levels overtuned. People say "learn the fight"... well... it takes me at least a week to get there, only to die to it before I have a chance to learn anything.

That one encounter has essentially ruined HC play. Tone it down.

In general... your game is getting out of your control. Stuff included to make the best players challenged has removed all the fun from the majority of your players. Quit it.
I'm a labyrinth hater. I like the ideas. Anything reducing the crappy trap style game play would be welcomed, at least from my point of view.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:
I'm a labyrinth hater. I like the ideas. Anything reducing the crappy trap style game play would be welcomed, at least from my point of view.

All I want as well is just interesting gameplay without trap spam bs. The lab as it is now is trash to say the least. Hate or love it, something needs to be done about lab in the nearby future.

PS I'm the thread creator, my email account had issues, so I had to use an alt account.
Last edited by Phazero on Jul 24, 2016, 3:23:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info