Help making a hardcore build

So I'm just going to list a few skill trees I've made here. Please tell me what you think about each of them. But before you do, here's what I'm trying to do:

1. Most important thing is survivability. I don't want to die. I don't care what I have to do to accomplish this, I want the tankiest character possible.

2. Second most important thing is I don't want a character that is just going to farm low level stuff to make a second character work late game. I want to invest in one character all the way.

3. I like how the gems work and I prefer flexibility, so being able to just swap out gems to handle different situations really excites me.

Besides that, I'm pretty much open to anything. So here's what I made up:

Marauder Juggernaut or Berserker

Duelist Champion

Ranger Pathfinder

But this one interests me the most:

Shadow Saboteur

That's the best I could do in a short while. It doesn't get half as much survivability as I would like, but it picks up all of the trap areas and some elemental damage. I really like the life, energy shield, mana mix for survivability but I'm worried it might not be enough.

Thanks for all the help beforehand!
Judging from theese trees and the fact, you don't want to settle with 1 skill, you must be a new player, so I would suggest you to play softcore for a while, there are a lot of things that can kill you in the game and it is better to experience them without losing a character.

I'm not a HC expert, but I did play there sometimes, so let's go trough this real fast.

Spoiler
First tree:
You made a 102 point tree from randomly picking up a lot of life, the pathing is pretty bad, a lot of wasted points, you could have a tree with this much life while having more armor and even specced into some kind of dmg.

Second tree:
97 points of some hybrid armor/evasion with unvawering that nullifies evasion, but with no Iron reflexes and there also is acrobatics, so u make sure to halve your armor.
No dmg nodes again.

Third tree:
Same crap as the second, but with 99points.

Fourth tree:
Finally some dmg nodes, I assume it is a trapper, but otherwise the tree is still really questionable.
Why do you take the pierce wheel?
Hybrid es/life and nodes, generally low ammount of both and you also halve the value of the ES with acrobatics, no life regen, which is important for trappers.

Ps: there are builds that can use different skill gems, for example if you are playing a fire caster, you can just use any of the fire spells you want, but as for optimizing a build, an all rounder will never be as good as something that focuses on 1 thing.
Last edited by krenderke on Jun 29, 2016, 7:36:11 PM
It's not that I want to settle with just one skill. I just enjoy something that can change what skills I use depending on the situation.

For the first tree I actually tried to cut down as much pathing as I could. How could you make it better? The second and third trees were more random and I only got the armor and evasion nodes because it gave both so I could swap between the two though I'd probably only use armor gear. I don't grab Iron Reflexes because Acrobatics reduces the value anyways so I didn't worry about four levels to get it. The last tree is a trapper and I thought the pierce wheel was good for Lightning Trap.

Are the trees that bad? I mean I used this to plan them all. It shows the shortest paths, it has a search function, and a highlight function. I literally only looked at life and damage for the first and last trees, and only used it a little on the middle two.

Is the pathing highlight not useful?
Well the shortest path doest not mean best path.

Okey, let's go trough the first tree, for now just to tell my insights.

In the beggining of the marauder area, the diamond skin cluster is really not efficient.

the 15% allresist os fine, but the 3 behind it not, if you want resistances, there are better nodes for them, just as Cloth and Chain under duelist, Sentinel under scion, Elementalist and Faith and steel next to templar.

For the rest of the pathing I can't tell what is going on, I don't know whether this is a caster, a melee or a ranged build, but for example let's just go with a tanky melee build I played recently.

It is hard to explain how things work, but if you play more and make a lot of builds you will eventually figure out how to make the best tree for your uses.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/krenderke/characters

Select the level 87 juggernaut if it's not the one showing up.

When you make a melee build you want to know what weapon you plan to use later.
As for in this example I wanted to use Kongor's undying rage, which is a unique 2 handed mace which can't miss with hits ( actually I wanted to play a dualwield build, but ended up getting and almost perfectly rolled mace, so I just went with it)

Since I scale physical dmg with a 2 handed mace, the nodes that are good for me are: generic dmg nodes, generic phys dmg nodes, melee phys dmg nodes, mace nodes, 2 handed nodes.

So as for a tanky melee character I want to get life, armor and dmg for the weapon (which types are listed above).

There are some clusters which you want to reach, for example the leech wheel under the duelist and the scion life wheel, etc etc.

I know where my dmg clusters are located, pick them up, then I get the life nodes next to the path.

Okey I am getting confused by my own explanations, but whatever, actually this is a pretty decent tree and could be changed to work with dual-wielding 1 handed maces by using only 7 regret orbs.

Also note that, the leveling trees are completely different, you don't just pick stuff in the order you have them on the planned tree and in a lot of cases you have to use quite a few respec points to mold them to the final one.
Last edited by krenderke on Jun 29, 2016, 8:25:27 PM
How are the Marauder resistance nodes not as good? For four points I get 27% to elemental while the others either don't give as much or take more points because I have to spend more points. My tree uses 102 points and if I drop them to get the Scion nodes I not only have to spend the points to path out but also to get to the resistance nodes and then spec into them. It takes even more points than they're worth, I mean the Marauder resistance nodes are there to be used.

The entire tree is just life and resistance. I'll worry about damage from gear because I don't mind taking longer to kill everything. It also leaves my options open to what I want to do.

Your idea of getting damage and then life is absolutely opposite of my idea, so I don't see how you can even help me. I just read that you knew where your damage was and then got life around it. I don't want a glass cannon.
Well let me put it differently.

102 points is somewhere around level 80 for a character.
You are telling me you intend to level up to 80 on hardcore without scaling any damage?
Things can take longer, but without damage scaling it takes forever.

It is really hard to put the thing in words since english is not my native, but basically the steps for planning a tree.

1. you get the idea which big nodes/clusters you want
2. you path to them
3. you pick up the life and other defensive nodes which were not included in the pathing

This is called planning, not building.

What would be good for you is to watch some build guides on youtube, that has step by step tree planning.

As for the resistance nodes, those are single 12% nodes, with nothing else.
Their overall value is 12% resistance, the combined nodes I mentioned may cost like a few more nodes to take, but they still worth more in most cases, than 12% resistance.
Also, getting resistance is available from jewels and the items you are using, so pathing trough pure elemental resist nodes is a waste, while you could just grab life/armor/anything else, that is more important.

Also that marauder was by no means glass cannon, when the game patches up I log in and add a screenshot of it, he had around 7k life if I recall right, but probably even more.
Last edited by krenderke on Jun 29, 2016, 9:36:45 PM
I don't know what happened but you aren't understanding what I'm saying. I don't know how you think there is confusion between planning and building.

All I'm saying is that you're talking about looking for damage first and then getting life AFTER the damage. That's the worst thing to be advising me to do when the exact opposite is what I said earlier. I want life FIRST and damage later. And since I have literally ZERO gear and money I don't want to have to spend it getting survivability on gear. I want to worry about only damage on gear.

I really don't know how you aren't getting this. It's not rocket science.
"
since I have literally ZERO gear and money I don't want to have to spend it getting survivability on gear. I want to worry about only damage on gear.

This is not feasible. For resists, crit, and maybe spell damage you can choose (gear vs tree), since the bonuses do the same thing.
But for other stuff you can't.

Gear provides flat life, defences, and attack damage.
The tree provides % boosts to life, defences, and attack damage.
You will need to get both since they scale from each other.

(This is also mostly true for less important stats like mana and accuracy.)
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Jun 29, 2016, 10:10:41 PM
It is not me not getting it, it is you not understanding the fundaments of the game.

Let me try to explain it again.

You will not be tanky with shit items even if you have all the life nodes of the tree, and do not expect to stay alive in hardcore without investing into your gear, because that is the first thing to do, cap resistances, get life on them.

Same with dmg, you will not deal any dmg if you have no scaling from the tree.
You will literally not pass act 2 without any damage scaling, and even until that it will be agonising as hell.

There is 2 picture of my marauder, just comparing the ammount of life he has.
http://i.imgur.com/BsYGZl1.jpg
Essentially naked, since getting gear with resistances but no life is easy, but this would be the result.

While with decent gear, that has life it is almost the double ammount.
http://i.imgur.com/XGTacBR.jpg

And my main advice is still the same, play softcore until you get the grip of the game, also just playing by copying builds can help a lot.

The only thing that comes in mind for you is a facebreaker build, where your dmg comes from the flat phys dmg that is on the jewelry you use.
But still, you can't ignore the defenses, also if you have nothing, then probably you can't even get a facebreaker to start out with.
Last edited by krenderke on Jun 29, 2016, 10:23:33 PM
"
krenderke wrote:
It is not me not getting it, it is you not understanding the fundaments of the game.

Anything_Item is asking for help, not a lecture. :P
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info