Crafting high Es shield

I'm relatively new to crafting gg gear and I just wanted some help on the methods I've been using.

I started by buying ilvl 84 items and arch/scour until I got stat's I was happy with. This worked quickly on a Es helm and was very cost effective. I only alched around 15 times and got a nice helm.

Next was the shield, I wanted as much Es as possible anything extra was a bonus. The problem is for the Es I'm after I need 3 prefixes, %Es, flat Es and %Es/stun recovery.

After 100 alchs I didn't get anything decent, so I decided to change method. I transmuted/alterated and augmented any suffix until I got a high tier prefix roll. Then regaled it. I was trying to get flat Es and %Es/stun recovery then craft %Es, because flat Es is only low from crafting and Es/stun can't be crafted. After I blew another 50c I realised this is not as easy as I thought.

Any advice in how to try and get those three prefixes. Do people even try to craft triple prefix gear?

Last bumped on Jun 27, 2016, 10:57:17 PM
I'v used the alteration spam on a bunch of shields but I'v never really hit the jack pot on the regal orbs. I think if your looking for a decent shield chaos spam should work about as good. It's probably cheapest to just buy a shield crafting can get really expensive. My trick is to just alch every good ES shield base I find and hope to get lucky. I generally alch 2-3 shields "worth" 2-8 Exalted orbs a league and maybe sell one of them and just use the others for my own characters. They are definitely my top item right now to yolo alch while mapping if I have extra alch.

Oh and you don't need max level item base for the yolo alch unless your trying to create mirror worthy loot. If your just looking for a 450 or so es shield you can use almost any good base you find in maps.
Last edited by CalamityAOE on Jun 26, 2016, 11:59:12 PM
Thats an idea, since im always mapping it would save me using all the scours.

When i was looking for my upgrade i couldnt really find a good buy. I was sort of looking for a new shield and crafting at the same time. Then I had invested heavily into crafting it was hard to stop. I eventually did buy one though.
Save your money. For every guy that hits craft jackpot you hear about there are hundreds dumping hundreds of chaos into them.

Best thing to do is search or let poe.trade do it for you.
T1 ES
T1 ES%/stun rec
open prefix
add 68% ES%

Sometimes you can get some real deals. like chaos to 1ex range.

I'm really gambling adverse though. :P
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 27, 2016, 1:32:23 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Save your money. For every guy that hits craft jackpot you hear about there are hundreds dumping hundreds of chaos into them.

T1 ES
T1 ES%/stun rec
open prefix
add 68% ES%

The problem with that is, there's no way to tell if it's hybrid es/stun recovery or two separate low es/stun recovery rolls. It might even be a super low increased es + hybrid es/stun recovery + stun recovery (essentially 3 crappy rolls looking like a good hybrid one). From what I've seen, people who get ambiguous-looking items just don't master craft anything at them and put them for sale hoping someone will think it's a good hybrid roll and buy them.

I guess it's possible to hit a few sweet deals but I don't think it happens too often. Or am I missing something?

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 27, 2016, 3:14:14 AM
Its alching and chaos spam, or buying the shield with the prefixes you want, potentially stripping the suffixes.

Going from alts is not a way forward imo, by the time the item is yellow at best it will have 2 prefix and 1 suffix, how are you going to get the 3rd prefix? Even if you block one of the 2 suffixes your exalt can still hit a suffix, you gonna exalt it twice? For what, a 1/100 chance of hitting the mod you wanted? The expense in doing that till you hit a prefect or even desirable 3 prefixes is potentially gargantuan. To get lucky enough on the regal to hit the 2nd wanted prefix will be so out there that even if your first exalt hits 5% cold resist you still probably have to exalt again because the cost of stripping those suffixes for 2 exalts and then attempting to hit 2 good suffixes in a row with exalts over and over till it happens is such a small expense compared to what you are letting yourself in for chasing those prefixes. I feel like I wouldnt even attempt it with less than 50-100 exalts which is probably what it costs to just buy the shield in trade with 3 correct prefixes with no risk, and thats exactly what Id do tbh. If you have 1000 exalts on hand maybe you are the sort of person who can still get away with alt regaling such a thing, I dunno.

If there wasnt one to buy Id alch bases in maps and maybe chaos spam an ilvl84, throw the odd yolo exalt at it if we hit 2 good prefixes. Always wise to have multiple bases for those "its not what I wanted but its worth something to someone" dead ends. Sell everything you land on thats not what you wanted but worth considerably more than the ilvl84 base item.

It happens tho, my guild leader chaos spammed a 584 es titanium a few days ago with 30% cold resist and then managed to yolo exalt 108 crit to spells leaving a free suffix for a bench mod. He estimated something like 400 chaos spent on the spam and imo he got very lucky.
Thanks for that, it is a long shot trying to alt regal then exalt. I'll take your advice and just chaos spam it. That way I can still sell the item if it gets something valuable and just try again. Much more cost effective.

In previous leagues I would have never thought about trying to alt regal and exalt but in hcp exalts are so cheap it was just so tempting to try.

Lesson learned

Thanks for the advice guys.
I've never had much luck with chaos/alt spamming. Buying one with an open mod is a good idea, provided the flippers haven't beat you to it. :)

I just keep an eye out for certain rares that drop and every now and then you find out that will be decent with an ES mod. Here's an example of one that doesn't have any good mods besides EV/ES, but it turned out okay:

Nothing great, but it helps you to get better at spotting any type of gear that could go from bad to good with just one mod (I probably vendored a few when I was first learning how to play).
Last edited by SasoriOtoko on Jun 27, 2016, 11:38:18 AM
"
Bars wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

T1 ES
T1 ES%/stun rec
open prefix
add 68% ES%

The problem with that is, there's no way to tell if it's hybrid es/stun recovery or two separate low es/stun recovery rolls. It might even be a super low increased es + hybrid es/stun recovery + stun recovery (essentially 3 crappy rolls looking like a good hybrid one). From what I've seen, people who get ambiguous-looking items just don't master craft anything at them and put them for sale hoping someone will think it's a good hybrid roll and buy them.

I guess it's possible to hit a few sweet deals but I don't think it happens too often. Or am I missing something?

Its a risk but small because ranges. Like I'd say 1/10 items i buy this way are borked. I do shields helms and gloves too. Hoping I find a dumb barb who doesnt know anything about ES :P. But since bot.poe.trade my fortunes are waning.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 27, 2016, 4:38:33 PM
The best way to understand crafting chances is to identify every rare you see in high level maps.

After you have identified about 1000 of them and see that they are all terrible, it will help you know what you are in for!
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info