Audio breaks when playing with a Cast on Crit player?

I have a friend who is using Cast on Crit and his attacks fire a crap ton of projectiles very quickly and I play a cyclone build. I've been noticing that when we attack large packs of enemies in Merciless difficulty that the audio seems to break? Like it will crackle and cut out for a split second and then crackle and come good again a moment later during the peak of our attack output?

By the way, I know I ask this a lot, does the game yet support more than 32 simultaneous sounds!? My old 2008 integrated sound device supports up to 64 sounds! You could use software mixing to enable even more simultaneous sounds regardless of the users hardware by mixing multiple sounds together before sending it to the soundcard or some such (I'm not entirely clear on how this works, I know Borderlands seems to do this though with its FMOD audio engine or at least its INI files give the impression it does).
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jun 14, 2016, 2:24:33 AM
Last bumped on Jun 8, 2017, 4:17:40 AM
Heya

So yeah the default sound limit is at 64 now, and soon we'll be adding an option to have more or less than that (just a Low, Med, High, Ultra drop down box in the audio menu, more sound channels will have a CPU impact.)

Now the issue you've described is something that we're aware of and are trying to come up with a solution.

The problem pretty much lies in the extremes you can take a character to in path of exile. Someone that has fast attack speed and an AOE of some kind can effectively confuse FMOD into not knowing what sounds are important. For example a fast attack speed blast rain character on our testing server can get upwards of 400 simultaneous impact sounds and keep it at that level in a endgame situation.

We currently have a few ideas on how to fix it, and should be implementing a fix over the next week or so.
The audio guy.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
Heya

So yeah the default sound limit is at 64 now, and soon we'll be adding an option to have more or less than that (just a Low, Med, High, Ultra drop down box in the audio menu, more sound channels will have a CPU impact.)

Now the issue you've described is something that we're aware of and are trying to come up with a solution.

I think you should include a numerical value in brackets, like Low (32), Medium (48), High (64), Ultra (128) or some such.

Thanks for the explanation of the issue and I'm gonna look forward to whatever the fix is that you come up with.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jun 15, 2016, 1:12:08 AM
It seems to be working better in the 2.3.1 Hotfix update so far.
Computer specifications:
Yup should be a little better, the issue is still not completely resolved. We've had to look into implementing a slightly more complex fix that should hopefully be in for 2.3.2.
The audio guy.
When blade vortex and herald of ice are active - discharge sound feels missing: example
sound quality set to 'high'
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Jun 22, 2016, 9:46:45 PM
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
When blade vortex and herald of ice are active - discharge sound feels missing: example
sound quality set to 'high'
You mean Channel Count? Unless your soundcard supports more than 64 simultaneous sounds you should leave it on Medium or less. I do still think the available choices should mention the number of channels that each choice represents, to indicate that it has nothing to do with audio quality and to simply make each choice informative/better explain what it actually does.
Computer specifications:
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jun 23, 2016, 5:17:36 PM
Yes, I meant "Channel Count" option. While it just affects simultaneous sounds number it still relevant to 'sound quality' (not individual audio track bitrate, but overall 'sound environment' intensity)

anyway, discharge works as it shown on the video despite the option value.

Spoiler

I miss old discharge sound effect, barely can play my character anymore because of that.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Jun 23, 2016, 8:51:53 AM
So, any fix coming for that ? It's been a year GGG. Stop ignoring your bugs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info