Vortex

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last edited by Jess_GGG on Dec 11, 2018, 4:05:15 PM
Last bumped on Dec 11, 2018, 4:05:53 PM
So is it intended that Avatar of Fire removes the DoT component? It's not being converted at all.
Yes, it's 'intended'. Damage over Time cannot be Converted, which means it's still dealing Cold Damage. AoF prevents non-Fire Damage.
Wiki says the whirling vortex is a ground effect. So If I link cold pen with vortex, the degen will not benefit from the gem. But the degen should benefit from reduced resistance from aura or EE, is that correct?
It being a ground effect has no bearing on Penetration.
It dealing Damage over Time is why it cannot benefit from Pen. :)

Damage over Time does check Resistances, yes; Curses and EE will work.
Vortex alone is quite OKish, but... this hyped synergy with Frostbolt looks quite good on paper and maybe on YT, but in reality, is very clunky to use due to lack of proper action queue in PoE engine.

So, plus for idea, but big minus for implementation. Fortunately, Vortex alone is quite strong during leveling, I hope that it remain so in the maps.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
After a long time away, I rolled a new character and discovered this skill as a quest reward in act 3. Which finally explained to me why Frostbolt is in the game when I happen to know that Ice Spear exists and I already have Freezing Pulse. This was a kind of neat a-ha moment, but otherwise as a sort-of-new player I couldn't understand why there were such similar skills in a single element.

So far, I'm enjoying the ability to lay down damage fields at a distance with Frostbolt. There was an option for that before via Mine/Trap support gems on Ice Nova, but I've always found mines to feel a little clunky. This actually feels a lot more natural, and being able to just cast it point blank with one key press when needed is very important to me.

Occasionally getting double/triple value by popping it just after it goes through a boss monster or champion feels good, but we'll see if that continues later into the game. As is, it has somewhat replaced Ice Nova for me. I enjoy the increased damage potential from the DoT field immensely, even if it does have a slower casting time.
Last edited by Softspoken on Jun 8, 2016, 8:27:18 PM
Do the degen effects from multiple vortexes stack in damage? I planned out a Vortex Trapper and so far it seems to deal very low damage with cluster traps
"
GornoDD wrote:
Do the degen effects from multiple vortexes stack in damage? I planned out a Vortex Trapper and so far it seems to deal very low damage with cluster traps

Well only Dot which could stack is poison all others don't ...
"
Arialia wrote:
"
GornoDD wrote:

Well only Dot which could stack is poison all others don't ...

So If I link vortex to poison support? Will that work?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info