GreatMalek's Max Block/Spell Block Aegis Crit Freeze Pulse

This guide is for PoE patch 2.2 Ascendency. This is a very detailed guide, for quick reference into my tree/gear, check out My character tab. The character is named TheNoPantsDance_ and is in perandus softcore.

Hey guys, the basic idea of this build was to combine decent clear with strong defenses. I initially intended to make this build on hardcore, but ended up making it in sofcore due to the cheaper prices for required gear as well as lacking motivation to reroll had I died.

The core defense of this build is the aegis aurora shield

Aegis aurora, combined with our decent energy shield pool and armour (granted from flasks) allows us to facetank most white and blue packs even in red maps. This combined with crit freeze pulse's permafreezing ability makes it so not much mobs can even touch us.

Cost of build
The build itself is relatively simple to gear. You never need more than 1-2 off colors on gear, so chroming is kept to a minimum. The gear itself cost me roughly 11 exalts. You will need to spend at least 15 in phc, however, due to the increased prices of aegis as well as other pieces of gear. You can make a budget version for roughly 5 exalteds, however. Just drop pierce gem and you should be fine.

cost me 2.5 exalts. A 5link is doable, you end up losing 29% damage from pierce (130k to 100k dps)

15 chaos

15 chaos

2 chaos non corrupted

1.5 exalts

4 chaos (super cheap, probably worth 15-20)

40 chaos

1 exalted, and 1 more on the master mod. This ring can be swapped for a 5-20 chaos ring easily.

20 chaos

10 chaos.

1 exalted

I also spent 20-40chaos on each jewel I have (2.5 exalts in total). However, you can get 5 acceptable 3 property jewels for 10-15 c each.

That puts my cost at 11-12 exalteds, but the build can be done with as low as 5 exalts (5link).

Why inquisitor
Inquisitor gives full elemental penetration on crit, which with this build, is 95%+ of the time. This is nearly 61% more damage on monsters with capped cold resist when compared to the cold penetration gem. Inquisitor also has instruments of virtue, which gives us free 20% spell damage, 20% cast speed and 10% attack speed since we use whirling blade to move between packs.

Map mods the build can't run
1. Elemental reflect - no surprise here.
2. No leech - the build can run curse immune/no regen/less recovery, but it can't run no leech. We don't have enough mana regen to sustain freeze pulse, so we need at the bare minimum, the .4% leech from boots in order to sustain the mana cost of fp.

Personal Preference:
If you want, you can run blood magic. Just equip power charge on crit and remove auras to sustain power charges. Clear speed is slower but still doable.
Enemies avoid elemental status ailments - While this build is capable of taking a beating, the freeze aspect is a solid defensive tool to avoid damage. Just keep in mind of other mods when you have this mod on a map since the chances of you getting hit are much higher.

I've ran many 3-4 damage mod tier 11s so far with relative ease. Will be posting some hard red maps in the video section soon to share my experiences.

Passive Tree
Level 65 tree
This should be your setup around the time you switch over to all of your gear. You can't equip rumi's till level 68, so you'll have to go a few more levels till you have max block. Over the next few levels, pick up all of the crit, crit multi, life and jewel sockets you can. Pick jewel socket nodes as you buy them. Make sure you are getting jewels to curse cap your character and cap block as well. This will save you the headache when you're running ele weakness maps down the line.

Level 85 skill tree

Current tree at level 95

Jewels

I try to prioritize capping block/spell block and getting enough resists to be curse capped before I look for dps mods on jewels. Most of my jewels also have a life roll on them. You can cut down costs a lot by searching for 3 property jewels instead of 4 property. For dps mods, look for spell damage/cast speed/projectile damage/projectile speed/crit chance or crit multi.

Here’s a helpful link you can use to search for jewels

http://poe.trade/search/arimeriwarinen

It has all of the dps mods that affect freeze pulse, along with a defensive mod listed on the bottom (in this example, life % is chosen

Gem Setup
For general map clearing I use

This setup provides 91% crit chance before assassins mark 9% additional crit. I have 130k dps and can freeze lock most mobs in red maps with added life. Since you are inquisitor, mods like added cold resist and elemental equilibrium do not affect you. Remove pierce for a budget 5link setup. You will still have roughly 100k dps.

For harder bosses, I swap

for

This allows me to generate power charges versus single targets. I drop assassins mark in favor of warlords mark. This setup has 150k dps, 95% crit chance, 2% life leech and mana leech and is capable of freezing most t12 and below bosses (haven't tested it out on higher tiers, but that's what I will be doing this weekend). I only use this setup for hard bosses as it is a chore to change auras and gems often.

Some additional links you can have include

and

Self explanatory movement skill links. Use whirling blade to proc instruments of virtue from inquisitor ascendency. Enduring cry is there because I had a slot to spare.

Prevents you from dying to boom boom. Vaal grace is a nice clear speed boost.

Choose which curse you want to setup depending on the situation. Arctic armour is always nice.

Automates the use of tempest shield so you don’t have to worry about it. Place whatever other skill you want in this cwdt setup, such as a golem or curse, etc.

Defences

This is with rumi's and my iron skin basalt flask up.

Offences

This is your standard mapping setup. FP - GMP - Echo - Controlled Destruction - Increased crit strikes - Pierce. I have assassins mark on blasphemy so my crit goes to 100%. There is no way to generate power charges on single targets, however.

This is my setup when facing tough bosses (Atziri/T15 bosses, etc). FP - Added Cold - Echo - Power charge on Crit - Increased Crit strikes - Pierce. I replace assassin's mark on blasphemy with warlords mark on blasphemy. I have 95% crit with this setup

Gear
Shield
This character is built around Aegis Aurora

This shield offers 32% block, a decent chunk of armour, energy shield and all resist. The plus 5% to maximum cold resist helps with reflect as well. With this unique, we will be able to tank many small to medium hits with relative ease

Boots and Amulet

Rainbowstrides along with stone of lazhwar give us 75% of block chance applied to spells. This coupled with rumi's 15% spell block allows us to cap our spell block with relative ease. Both rainbowstrides and stone of lazhwar also provide other useful stats such as cast speed, energy shield, movement speed and all resist. If you can, try to corrupt or buy a stone of lazhwar with block chance implicit.

Make sure you roll the life and mana leech on kill on your boots. This enchant will take care of all of your mana problems. Until I got the enchant, I ran warlords mark on blasphemy instead of assassins mark. If you want to keep assassins mark, just use a mana potion. I just couldn't be bothered.

weapon

Here you will be looking for a dagger with high critical strike chance for spells, critical strike multi, and spell damage or cold damage to spells (or both :D). You want a dagger since it provides implicit crit, which will help us cap our crit chance, as well as allows us to use whirling blades. Don't underestimate the importance of attack speed for your dagger. If I could choose between a 1.6 attack speed dagger or 1.4 attack speed and 30% spell damage, I would choose the 1.6 one since that will almost surely lead to a faster clear speed.

Chest, helm and belt

These pieces of gear are used to maximize energy shield, armour, life and resists. Since we are using only blue and green gems on our freeze pulse setup, I recommend using either a pure energy shield base or a hybrid energy shield/armour base. Evasion is useless for us and chroming a pure armour base will be hell. Try to find a high energy shield helmet (250+) or a high armour helmet (500+). Get energy shield and armour on the belt as well. These pieces don't need to be top tier, just make sure you grab a healthy balance between life, armour, resists and energy shield

Rings

You're going to need to get some dexterity on your rings to be able to run vaal grace as well as other dexterity based gems. You get 74 dexterity from the tree, so you need at least 81 dexterity to run max level vaal grace. When searching for rings, I looked for specifically diamond rings to help cap my crit chance. I searched for life, dexterity, energy shield and resists. If you find a ring with cast speed, thats a plus but not required. If need be, search for other rings besides diamond rings to help cap your resists.

Gloves

I used maligaro's simply because I wanted to. I was curse capped so I wasn't hurting for resists. Besides the crit and crit multi, you get dexterity, which will help ease the burden of finding high dex on rings. It has a bit of attack speed as well which allows us to whirl around faster. If you want to play it safe, grab some gloves with either energy shield or armour and life. I'm planning on either dropping them for facebreakers or some rare gloves

Math behind block chance
You might have noticed that I don't grab any block chancce from the passive tree. I have one jewel with 1% block chance and this is enough investment to have capped block and spell block. This is largely due to this flask

Rumi's gives 20-30% block chance and 10-15% spell block. Since I have a perfect rolled rumi's, and the potion nodes near witch, my flask gives 30% * 1.3 = 39% block chance. This with aegis aurora's implicit 32% and tempest shield's 3% gives me 74% block. I grabbed a jewel with block to cap out. For spell block, we get 75% of our block chance converted to spell block due to rainbowstrides and stone of lazhwar. That’s 75 * .75 = 56% spell block. Rumi's gives 15% * 1.3 = 19.5 spell block. So in total I have 75% spell block as well. I know you're thinking, 'da fuck? you expect me to have a perfect rolled rumis and rainbow strides??' and that’s why I wrote the following part to show that capped block/s block is still possible with decent rolls.

Let’s say you have a 27%/12% rumis. That would put you at 27 * 1.3 = 35% block from rumis, 32% from aegis and 3% from tempest sheild for a grand total of 70% block. All you would need to do is grab the deflection cluster between shadow and ranger for 4% block with 1% from jewels to cap out. That's a 5 point investment, but you can drop some non notable crit multi nodes or a jewel socket to fit the points in.

For spell block, lets say you have a 23% rainbowstrides. That means you have 73% conversion from block to spell block. .73 * 75 = 54.75%. Rumi's gives 12% * 1.3 = 15.6% for a total of 70.35%. You can grab the witch 7% block for 3 nodes to cap out spell block as well. What I'm trying to say with these two paragraphs is, you can cap block and spell block with minimal investment, with just decently rolled gear. Finding a 24% rainbowstrides isn't too expensive. There are several 24% rolls for 10-12 chaos. There are also several 27%+/12%+ rumi's for 25 chaos. The benefit of having perfect gear is 3-8 passive points, which in the grand scheme of things, only accounts for a few thousand dps from your 130k+ dps

Flask setup

Relatively simple and efficient setup. Rumi's and basalt to cap block and give 13k armour for 5 seconds. Every time we block , we gain 250 energy shield. 13k armour is also nothing to laugh about. You want to make sure your basalt has % armour on it. This coupled with rumi's flat armour bonus makes us very tanky. Basalt coupled with fortify and arctic armour also give decent physical mitigation. Basalt flask gives us 26% reduced phys damage taken (due to flask nodes), fortify gives us 20% reduced damage taken, and arctic armour gives us 13% less phys damage taken. This all adds up to only taking 47% of the initial incoming physical damage without taking into account our 13k armour. The silver flask gives movement speed, attack and cast speed. This just adds to our clear speed as well. I rolled warding on it since it is a utility flask, so the anti curse should last a good 6 seconds. Rolling a chemist's of warding would probably be better, since it would give you two uses instead of 1. An instant of staunching is useful versus corrupting blood. I rarely need to spam it to regen life since my rumis and basalt are almost always on. The writhing jar helps to trigger the life/mana leech from boot enchant, which triggers on kill. It also functions as another instant hybrid flask if you need mana instantly (say you're doing a no regen and wasted all your mana with whirling blades before you can cast fp on the next pack).
Last edited by GreatMalek on Apr 22, 2016, 9:05:09 PM
Last bumped on Jun 27, 2016, 10:07:18 AM
[reserved]
build is completed and videos have been posted, let me know what you guys think
How do you sustain mana if i use assasins mark? and how do i generate power charges if i am using warlords? or do i need +1 curese?
"
How do you sustain mana if i use assasins mark? and how do i generate power charges if i am using warlords? or do i need +1 curese?

When using assassin's mark, you sustain mana and life from the boot enchant .4%/.5% leech. Use the writhing jar to recover mana and proc the boot leech versus single target (takes some getting used to). When you're using warlords mark, take out controlled destruction for pcoc
Could you add a leveling guide? Some stepping stones for the passive tree like (lvl20, lvl40, lvl60). Would be much appreciated.

Build looks really fun :)
Is this build Atziri viable? Looks fun to shatter enemies :)
Last edited by jerry_b on May 25, 2016, 9:04:37 AM
What about bandits? Life/Cast speed/Power charge?
Hi, I noticed you have 7 power charges but you only get 3 from the tree, where does that extra power charge came from?
Also, wouldn't you trade faster casting for controlled destruction? I dont like the fact of the 100% reduced crit chance. Ive being using a faster casting lvl19q20 gem and its given more dps than a lvl19 controlled destruction.
What are your thoughts on this?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info