[2.2]Low Life crit Vaal Molten Shell Occultist (Insane DMG)

Hey guys, i just leveled my Low-Life crit Vaal Molten Shell Occultist to lvl 80 and it feels very very strong so far (will be updating this as i go on).

So first of all, why did i decide to go Low Life and crit?
Low Life means one/two more auras and also a lot of effective "life" (currently at about 8k Energy Shield with shitty gear). Crit for damage scaling and because i played COC Discharge before and had some decent crit gear left over.

Pros:
Spoiler

-Tanky (Purity of Lightning(POL), Purity of Fire(POF), up to 10k Energy Shield, 4 endurance charges, Armor from Vaal Molten Shell(VMS))
-Very high dmg (currently at about 250k DPS in my hideout with low level gems, increased area of effect and level 80 in a 4link)
-feels fast
-chaos damag+Poison - almost no issue with reflect

Contras:
Spoiler

-pretty bad in shitty maps (hard to sustain VMS)
-expensive - as any Low Life build
-low Area of Effect
-needs a mana flask when VMS is down
-VMS' base crit is low (5%)- can be hard to gear

My planned skilltree at the moment (will be changed a lot while im still optimizing it)
Spoiler
poeurl.com/AZx
We need one Intuitive Leap Jewel at the Power Charge/Endurance Charge/Faith and Steel Node at the Templar area.

Jewels:
Spoiler
1x Intuitive Leap, 1x Energy from Within, 2x Sacrificial Harvest. For other Jewel Sockets get the mods in this order:
1.Increased Area Damage
2.Increased Damage
3.Increased Crit multi with Elemental skills
4.Increased Crit multi with Fire skills
5.Increased Maximum Energy Shield

Position for the Energy from Within is below the Pain Attunement node so that Melding is in range.

Bandits: skillpoint, skillpoint, Power Charge

Occultist:
Spoiler

Forbidden Power, Wicked Ward and Vile Bastion

Gems:
Spoiler
VMS= Vaal Molten Shell, Inc AOE = Increased Area of Effect, conc effect = concentrated effect, POL = Purity of Lightning, POF = Purity of Fire, CWDT = Cast when damage taken, WB = Whirling Blades, FA = Faster Attacks
4-6 link VMS: VMS, Inc. AOE, Inc. Duration, Elemental Focus (+Empower/inc. critical strikes)
2R-2B (+1R/B)

Swap inc. Aoe for conc effect at bossfights.
A 4link is enough damage so you could use another 2link in your chest to be able to use Vaal Haste or other situational gems, such as CWDT Immortal call.

4link Auras: POF, Discipline, POL and Enlighten lvl3/4
R-3B

If you havnt got an enlighten lvl3/4 yet, you should put of POL.

2link Aura: Anger, lvl16+ Bloodmagic
R-B

One dmg aura, almost 40% of my dmg atm.

3link movement: WB, FA, Fortify/Bloodmagic
R-2G

I suggest using 20% quality gems for WB and FA since we dont get alot of AS from the tree.

4link curse: CWDT(lvl5), Blade Vortex(lvl10), Curse on Hit, Warlords Mark
2R-1B-1G

Our curse, pretty much works like a Blasphemy Warlords Mark, since we deal damage to ourselves constantly. Also generates Powercharges against bosses with Occultist nodes.

3/4link for VMS downtime: Incinerate, Flameblast, Faster Casting, Elemental Focus
4B

Incinerate is not really necessary, since Flameblast casts almost as fast as Incinerate but i still like to have it since it doesnt cost any mana with an elreon jewelery.

Gear:
Spoiler

Helmet - Scold's Bridle Mind Cage

This enables this build and is mandatory.

Chest - Shavronne's Wrappings

This is needed to mitigate the chaos dmg. Doesn't have to be a 6/5link but should be a 6-socket with at least a 4link. Solaris Lorica is a budget option.

Weapon - The Consuming Dark

Doesn't make us immune to reflect but helps alot. With POF+Aura effect nodes and a ruby flask you can manage reflect mobs. If you dont care about reflect and want more dmg, a nice rare dagger with spelldmg/spellcrit/critmulti and more attackspeed would be best in slot - but i dont recommend it.

Shield - rare

High Energy Shield is the most needed Stat, some res and Spellcrit/ -dmg is a nice addition, but not needed.

Amulet - rare

Strength/Dexterity are needed since we dont get alot from the tree, some flat/ % Energy Shield + resistances are nice aswell. If you want perfect gear, also go for Crit Multi.

Rings - rare

Same as Amulet, get some Strength/Dex, Diamond base is best. Some ES/res are nice aswell. You should also get at least one Elreon jewel with -6+ mana so your Incinerate doesnt cost any mana.

Belt - rare

Es, Res and Strength are the stats we are looking for.

Gloves - rare/Voidbringer

I personally LOVE Voidbringer in ES builds, 200ES is pretty good for gloves and 130+spellcrit can be huge. You could even use your VMS in this beauty to get a free lvl on it. Only downside is the manacost of skills, which can be annoying. The more defensive option would be ES gloves with some res and attackspeed.

Boots - rare

ES, res, maybe some MS, Int for more ES is not bad aswell but its a minor stat.

Flasks:

Spoiler

Granite flask of Iron Skin,
Ruby Flask,
Topaz Flask,
one Mana Flask,
Perpetual Diamond Flask

As Prefixes you can use anything you like, surgeons is worse than it looks in this build, since you dont crit often during the VMS downtime and with VMS up you kill the packs fast enough to fill your flasks up w/o any prefix.

As any other build we need one curse immune, one Freeze immune and one bleed immune flask. A shock immune Topaz would be nice in atziri/uber. (havn't tested atziri/uber with this build yet)

My current gear (not optimized at all, as im still lvling)
Spoiler

Conclusion: I really love this build so far and will lvl further and update this thread as i go on. I really need some feedback on my setups and tree though, since this is my first selfmade character with only some inspiration from other life based VMS builds. I hope some of you will help me out :) Also pm me if you see any spelling/grammar mistakes, as im a german guy and am still learning english atm.

Thelmon
Last edited by Thelm0n on Mar 31, 2016, 4:42:13 PM
Last bumped on Apr 5, 2016, 11:47:28 AM
Bump
bump
bump
Do you think Elementalist is overkill for this build? Just hit 65 and about to go do trials.

Doing this in HC, I have a 6L Shav's waiting for me so I will definitely be going Low Life
"
salsaroja wrote:
Do you think Elementalist is overkill for this build? Just hit 65 and about to go do trials.

Doing this in HC, I have a 6L Shav's waiting for me so I will definitely be going Low Life

For HC i would definitly go Occultist, 100 flat ES and ES regen on kill is really nice during VMS downtime. Also the DMG is insane for me, with 8.2k ES (about 600k+ vs bosses with conc effect and only 4link on VMS) so i do think elementalist is overkill.
And care with trials, i guess you know that, but dont go LL before you did all the labs.
Please consider typing some words out instead of using abbrevations to the point of aggrevations.
"
Korinthian wrote:
Please consider typing some words out instead of using abbrevations to the point of aggrevations.

I de-abbreviated most of the text, i hope it won't feel aggrevative anymore. :)
bump
do you not have problems with hitstun relying only on the occultist ascendancy node?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info