PVP Sucks.

And it doesn't have to.

Right now, pvp is rewarding people who refuse to engage.

There are 3 main issues causing this:

1)Hp regen is not scaled down, but our damage is.
2)The 1v1 arena is covered in obstacles that break LOS, making it very easy to avoid damage should you not want to engage.
3)Players are awarded rating or lose rating for draws.

This is culminating in an overwhelming majority of my matches spent chasing people in circles around the arena who have no hope of winning, but can easily draw a match, and do so in hopes of me dropping because they're simply wasting my time.

If people don't want to engage, they shouldn't be entering a pvp queue. But if they do, they most certainly should not be rewarded for doing nothing but running.

Why, exactly, would someone who is interested getting started in pvp want to do it when 5 out of the first 6 opponents they face just run away to draw matches out as long as possible? It's not fun. It's not interesting, and refusal to engage is not something people who are looking to start pvping want.
IGN: OldManSyndrome or _OldManSyndrome_
Last edited by OldManSyndrome on Mar 22, 2016, 5:45:41 PM
Last bumped on Aug 28, 2016, 5:08:43 PM
Unfortunately if you build too tanky for someone to kill but not deadly/mobile enough to kill them, then them running away from you for 7 rounds is the counter. Some people also just like trolling with run away or heal builds (the rage was great with my runner in guildwars 1 - at the time that was indefinite though, some matches were 3+ hours before the other player finally caved to my lameness).

What the 1v1 pvp system needs is a mutual draw/stalemate option (i.e. a checkbox that's activated when both players click it, which ends the match (points awarded or not awarded however GGG prefers)). This fixes many other issues as well, for example when two tanks are engaged but absolutely can't kill each other. Swinging away fruitlessly or standing there for 7 rounds is a serious pvp QoL issue.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Mar 22, 2016, 7:57:04 PM
"
Vhlad wrote:
Unfortunately if you build too tanky for someone to kill but not deadly/mobile enough to kill them, then them running away from you for 7 rounds is the counter. Some people also just like trolling with run away or heal builds (the rage was great with my runner in guildwars 1 - at the time that was indefinite though, some matches were 3+ hours before the other player finally caved to my lameness).

What the 1v1 pvp system needs is a mutual draw/stalemate option (i.e. a checkbox that's activated when both players click it, which ends the match (points awarded or not awarded however GGG prefers)). This fixes many other issues as well, for example when two tanks are engaged but absolutely can't kill each other. Swinging away fruitlessly or standing there for 7 rounds is a serious pvp QoL issue.

But nobody can be mobile/deadly enough to kill people who stack regen and run, that's the problem. I will gladly survive anyone just by running to demonstrate this point. No one*, regardless of gear or build will be able to kill me.

Simply refusing engage should never be the counter in pvp. Running away is not interesting or fun, and if you can't kill your opponent then you should lose. You shouldn't simply "tie" because you refused to engage while they chased you the whole time. I'm spending probably 90% of my time chasing people. That's nothing short of boring, and there's absolutely no reason someone is going to want to get into pvp when the meta is to draw matches out as long as possible. It's not fun, it's not exciting, and it's not interesting. I want people to pvp because engaging in pvp is fun, chasing people around pillars for 7 minutes straight is not.

*Unless they're critsparkfloodinginquisitors.
Last edited by OldManSyndrome on Mar 22, 2016, 9:25:31 PM
"
Vhlad wrote:
I want people to pvp because engaging in pvp is fun, chasing people around pillars for 7 minutes straight is not..

Oh the World of Warcraft nightmares, make them stop.
Last edited by Chipawapa on Mar 23, 2016, 3:55:43 AM
I'll take that bet. I'm just a melee guy with random stuff, non-crit.
Just let me know when your ready to try again.
What did you expect? If players see that a strategy is inefficient, they'll shift to another one.
Don't expect players to dumbly crash into your defenses if they don't stand a chance of winning. They'll switch to the next best result they can have, which is either get a draw or get the match to quickly end, depending on their objectives.
If they have crazy regen, hit them with a frost bomb and take them out. manually cast tc with enhance, abyssal cry with Inc dur etc etc

🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134
Last edited by Ahfack on Mar 23, 2016, 6:32:53 AM
"
What did you expect? If players see that a strategy is inefficient, they'll shift to another one.
Don't expect players to dumbly crash into your defenses if they don't stand a chance of winning. They'll switch to the next best result they can have, which is either get a draw or get the match to quickly end, depending on their objectives.

I expect players entering a match to have intentions of killing the other player. When the predominant strategy is to enter pvp and just try to draw matches out, the system is broken.

When the system rewards players for entering pvp and intentionally not engaging their opponents, the system is beyond broken.

Imagine a boxing match where one of the two boxers literally just runs around the ring. Now imagine that person gaining rank by running down the clock. Imagine that person being potentially one of the "top 10" boxers using this strategy. Except... they're not boxing. They're running. Their opponent isn't there to run, and the spectators aren't there to watch a race.

I realize that strategic positioning and controlling the speed/distance of combat are an important part of intelligent play, but that's not what this is. This is literally me running after someone because they have no desire to actually engage in combat.

Pvp needs to be about engagement, that's what makes it interesting, fun and exciting. What's not exciting is chasing someone around pillars who refuses to fight you after joining a match where they've agreed to fight you.

Daresso is displeased. Vagan is displeased. I am displeased.
Last edited by OldManSyndrome on Mar 23, 2016, 3:16:34 PM
"
"

I expect players entering a match to have intentions of killing the other player. When the predominant strategy is to enter pvp and just try to draw matches out, the system is broken.

When the system rewards players for entering pvp and intentionally not engaging their opponents, the system is beyond broken.

Imagine a boxing match where one of the two boxers literally just runs around the ring. Now imagine that person gaining rank by running down the clock. Imagine that person being potentially one of the "top 10" boxers using this strategy. Except... they're not boxing. They're running. Their opponent isn't there to run, and the spectators aren't there to watch a race.

I realize that strategic positioning and controlling the speed/distance of combat are an important part of intelligent play, but that's not what this is. This is literally me running after someone because they have no desire to actually engage in combat.

Pvp needs to be about engagement, that's what makes it interesting, fun and exciting. What's not exciting is chasing someone around pillars who refuses to fight you after joining a match where they've agreed to fight you.

Daresso is displeased. Vagan is displeased. I am displeased.

The part where you expected intelligent play is where you went wrong.

That boxer example is exactly how it's been going around here since ladders were implemented. Now imagine that boxer legitimately thinking he's good for doing so. Now is not the time to PvP in this game, I suggest playing something else or grinding wealth. There are too many bugs with enchantments, balance is on its head and more often then not like you know you're just sitting there watching some cocksucker run in circles.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info