[2.2] Dual Void Battery Physical CoC Assassin (600k w/o flasks, capped crit under enfeeble) (WIP)

Not yet finished writing a whole guide, but I thought I'd share the dual void battery spec I've been playing since Ascendancy launched.

Summary:
+ 95 attack crit / 95 spell crit even under enfeeble
+ 600k+ single target DPS with 8 power / 3 frenzy (no flasks)
+ High physical damage output ignores most forms of enemy mitigation
+ With Taste of Hate, Vinktar, and Promise we reach 1.25m dps
+ High clear speed (one barrage per pack)
+ Very fun and fast to level

- Only 4.5k life, so needs to be played with caution
- Requires charges to do damage, so you need to generate charges in beginning of zone
- Can't do phys reflect or no leech maps
- Requires two void batteries (not necessarily cheap)

Videos

3:05 Precinct Run (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HlI73-8Jic)
Your typical map run on this build. Using chain for better map clear.

Enfeeble Crematorium Run (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ogf4mQ3vO8)
Showcasing the build under Enfeeble, a map mod that typically significantly reduces the reliablity of cast on crit builds. With our overcapped crit, however, our attack and spell crit remain at 95% (technically 94.95 for spells), making this mod not particularly dangerous.

High level build summary
Spoiler
We dual wield Void Batteries and grab 2 power charges from the tree and one from the bandits to total 8 power charges, granting a significant amount of spell damage (240%), a significant amount of increased crit chance (400%), and best of all a large amount of base crit (4%) when combined with assassin's deadly infusion passive.

We combo this with CoC barrage using 2 x Volley Fire jewels to provide significant AoE and pack clearage. We take advantage of the fact that phys spells get free penetration to deal lots of damage to all enemies, relying on Bladefall and Glacial Cascade as our damage spells.

Because of the huge amount of crit that we get from our power charges alone, we don't need to go overboard on attack crit clusters on our tree, instead focusing on accuracy, life, and area of effect. Grabbing the convenient spell crit clusters available to us is enough to cap our spell crit as well.

To sustain power charges, we use Assassin's Mark - curse on hit - Herald of Ice along with Hatred to shatter more or less every enemy we hit. This is enough to sustain power charges even at high level maps. In order to get our initial power charges, we use a secondary coc setup with PCoC to gain our initial momentum.

The remainder of our mana can be reserved for Arctic Armour or Herald of Ash. I prefer the former because it provides some much needed defense for the build. By using Enlighten lvl 2 or 3, we can ensure that a small portion of our mana remains unreserved for our attacks, which can be sustained using a single mana gained on hit jewel.

Gem links
Spoiler
6L Main link: Barrage - CoC - Bladefall - GMP/Chain - Cascade - Life Leech

4L Power charge generator: Barrage - CoC - Bladefall (lvl 1) - PCoC

3L Power charge sustain: Herald of Ice - CoH - Assassin's Mark

3L Movement: Lightning warp - FC - Less Duration or Flame Dash

3L Aura: Hatred - Arctic Armour / Herald of Ash - Enlighten

3L CwDT setup of choice

Singlets: Blood rage, Ice golem, Righteous Fire if you really need it

Gear
Spoiler

Gear explanation
Spoiler
Weapons are void batteries for obvious reasons.

Facebreaker is BiS for gloves for this build, since they give us a huge amount of multiplier and we are already capped on crit without gear investment.

Amulet should have high crit multi as well - multi is the easiest way to boost the damage of this build, since we always crit.

On the rest of gear, just look for accuracy, resistances, and life. You don't need any crit chance, though it is somewhat of a quality of life feature to help you generate power charges in the beginning.

For barrage, you don't actually want to scale your attack speed too high or you may start hitting mobs faster than CoC's internal cooldown, at which point you will actually experience a drop in dps. People seem to think that 2.05 aps is the way to go for maximum effectiveness, so I aim to go slightly under this number with blood rage and 3 frenzy charges on. This means not getting 20q on GMP.

Vinktar - Taste for maximum damage and survivability in the flask department. Make sure to carry around an anti-shock flask.

Passive Tree and Bandits

"Tooltip" warrior: 3.2m dps
Spoiler
Not really a tooltip since we can't do that for CoC. But if you really wanted to just do tons of damage (bolded indicates changed from normal spec):

6L: Barrage - CoC - GMP - Bladefall - Cascade - Concentrated Effect

Auras: Hatred - Herald of Ice - Herald of Ash
Buffs: Blood rage, 8 power 3 frenzy, Righteous Fire

We assume both bladefall and cascade hit twice. Using the damage numbers obtained from my tooltip under Taste of Hate, Vessel of Vinktar, and Atziri's Promise:

Bladefall: 49k average damage
Glacial Cascade: 28k average damage

We assume each spell hits enemies twice, and ignore Bladefall's volley damage penalty (I rounded down to get 49k anyway).

I use the "ideal" aps for barrage: 2.05.
Each barrage fires 8 single target projectiles with gmp, so the total hits per second is 2.05*8 = 16.4 hits per second.

Crit chance is 95%, chance to hit is 90% -> 0.77 crits per hit

20/20 CoC gives 69% chance to cast on crit.

Base dps is then: (49k + 28k) * 2 * 16.4 * 0.77 * 0.69 = 1.3m dps

Now we throw on the guaranteed shock from Vinktar's and the 59% more damage from lvl 20 Righteous fire:

1.4m * 1.5 (50% more damage from shock) * 1.59 = 3.2m dps

This is what I'd consider your top end single target damage output, realistically speaking. If you want to push this further, consider the fact that assassin's mark turns your crit chance for both spells and attacks into 100% (against non curse resistant enemies) and makes all your crits deal 20% increased extra damage. You could consider this a 20% more modifier and get:

3.8 million dps if you really wanted to, but the 3.2m number above is actually feasible to achieve vs bosses, so that's what I would use.

[2.1] Harvest Blade Vortex - 70% phys mitigation perma flask build
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1564887
[1.2] Naked Marauder Build - end game build with no clothes!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1031339
Last edited by hypernegus on Mar 6, 2016, 5:30:57 PM
Last bumped on Aug 14, 2016, 4:43:28 AM
Too poor to afford a second void battery or need the bonuses from shield? No problem. The damage is still insane (even with my crappy gear ~2ex excluding VB)

Tree has no dual wield nodes so the tree is identical
Gear

95% crit w/ barrage and spells

Only problem is the lack of life (4.2k @lvl 82)
Last edited by negusmaster on Mar 21, 2016, 1:28:57 AM
Nice build, but i will change the build for my assassin.
Drop the spellcrit nodes and get the leech node in the duelist area, drop life leech for something (controlled destruction / conc effect / arc...) Maybe get elreon jewelery for 0 mana cost and arctic armour.
"
Krippurian wrote:
Nice build, but i will change the build for my assassin.
Drop the spellcrit nodes and get the leech node in the duelist area, drop life leech for something (controlled destruction / conc effect / arc...) Maybe get elreon jewelery for 0 mana cost and arctic armour.

If you really want to sustain mana without enlighten or elreon rings, just spec into EB and pick up a jewel with +ES on hit and one other nice stat, which is pretty cheap. If you are dual weiding VBs, it may be hard to get a source of ES (probably tree only, with like 11 from FBs), but a shield will give more than enough. I'm not sure if pathing all the way to the duelist region is worth it either just for an extra gem. Spell crit is really useful too; with 95% crit, you pretty much get that guaranteed one-shot pack.

AA would substitue HoA as mentioned in OP if you're aiming for more damage.

If you were looking for more damage as a substitute for LL, added fire actually gives ridiculous amounts of damage because bladefall and glacial cascade have phys. (Same color as LL too)

Just hit 87 and having a blast!
Gear

Still need to get my 90% facebreakers
All the crafted strength isn't required; just helps with more life (i'm trying to hit 5k)

Only problem is now because I'm dual wielding, my aps is 2.07 how would I lower it to 2.05 effectively?

Edit: Ditched my Q20 blood rage for a level 19 one -> aps went down to 2. Will try a level 20 once it levels up
Last edited by negusmaster on Mar 24, 2016, 1:06:52 AM
can you atziri / uberatziri with this one?
and if you did, provide us with video plz
does bladefall benefit from using gmp at all? what about using ethereal knives instead? if you wanted to remove gmp and trade it for something else you'd just have to swap glacial cascade for something that doesnt use gmp. blade vortex or something, maybe arc to shock, idk. still leveling this build, ill try stuff out when i can equip my void batteries.

edit: marylene's fallacy BiS
Last edited by Toxic_Abyss on Apr 26, 2016, 11:33:12 PM
How about making this CI? Do you think it would work?
also, your tooltip dps calculation is wrong. the 16.4 you put in as a multiplier to damage instead of as proc only. you also forgot to include crit multi. the correct calculation is as follows-

(16.4 * 0.77 * 0.69) * (49k +28k) * 2 * (crit multi * 0.95) =
(16.4 * 0.77 * 0.69) * 154k * (crit multi * 0.95) =
8.71 * 154k * (crit multi * 0.95) =
1.34M * (crit multi *0.95)
Crit multi from your post - 200% from tree, 118% from gear, 135% from ascendancy = 453%
1.34M * (4.53 * 0.95)
1.34M * 4.3
=========================================================================================
TOTAL DPS = 5.76M

Youre welcome :)

ok, so after vigorous testing (from lv70 to 80 w/ multiple sets of gear and gem setups), heres the results...

Favorite setup = Barrage/CoC/Chain/EK/Bladefall/Arc

So i choose chain here because it triple dips, IE it chains the barrage, EK (the whole ek not just a few daggers) AND arc, as well as quality chain increasing proj speed for EK.
i went with arc, because its number and distance of chains hits very distant targets, making it clear mobs further away, and auto shocks.
EK for better pure phys than glacial cascade, as long as youre using chain and have some proj speed somewhere.
and Bladefall, because shits OP

Defensive setup = Barrage/CoC/Pierce/Bladefall/Glacial Cascade/Blade Vortex

This is a closer range setup, pierce will proc more times than chain (at least feels like it)
Glacial Cascade seems to work better at close range than arc
Blade Vortex is just plain fun on this build. anything that gets close to you gets instacrit and frozen, making it very defensive when paired with the arrow dancing passive
and of course, bladefall. because shits OP.

I played around with spell echo, didnt feel like it was working well enough.

I also tried out the unique amulet, marylene's fallacy. it increases crit multi by 240, at the loss of 40% of your crit chance. IF you overcap by using rats nest, and swap one of your gems in for an increased crits, you can still cap. i didnt feel like the loss of a gem was worth it in the long run, especially cause i was having a hard time with accuracy (theres a little bit on the amulet, but my current ammy and helmet both have t1 accuracy rolls, as well as more life. lose some attack speed from rats nest, but i feel like its better without marylene's, particularly since my spell crit is at 500% anyway, so its only a 50% increase. if you can get good enough gear, (crit chance and accuracy wise) i still think it'd be better, but until then ill do without.

I am currently using a phys doryani's belt to get my lifeleech, and i have no mana issues since my cast cost is something like 11.

I also heavily revised the passive tree, to get more life and better routing. you will still need about 30 int on gear to use void battery, but its not that bad. im using a single roll on one of my rings to deal with that.
Link here - https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAAQHBUIHHgj0DY0N0Q5ID6sPxBCSES8Rlha_GYoajyBuIcAj9iSLJP0mlSepKgsqOCsKLJwwcTIyNj031DpCOlg6szt8QZZJUUp9S3hMjkyzTZJQMFFHUlNVS1XGW69d8l-wYeJirGNDakNrF2yMbRlwUn11f8aD24SihMWHdonTjDaNv4_6lSCVLpXMlwaXlZf0m7WdqqKjo4qkeK6zsNizDrVIuMq5k7vjvG-86sBUwdXB88MJwzrEotD1037UI9mG217dqN7444Tjn-dU62Pr9e0_7g7vevDV8h322vlj-wn8xf66_94=
"
Toxic_Abyss wrote:
Favorite setup = Barrage/CoC/Chain/EK/Bladefall/Arc

I haven't played path for a good 2 months, so I just got around to seeing this.

Since the damage for the build is already off the charts, I'm sure that this setup does wonders for clear times. However, I am curious as to how well you handle physical reflect without using the life leech gem. I know that with my damage numbers, I will easily oneshot myself if I'm not careful to a physical reflect rare - how are you holding up?

One thing to note is that while this setup is great for clearing, the single target dps obtained using EK or Arc will typically be lower than that for glacial cascade simply because of the damage modifier on Chain. If you manage to get a good number of chain bounces on the magic pack by a boss though, this might not be as much of an issue.
[2.1] Harvest Blade Vortex - 70% phys mitigation perma flask build
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1564887
[1.2] Naked Marauder Build - end game build with no clothes!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1031339

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info