Traps scaling based on EHP is broken

In the lab, traps seem to do set base damage based on your max EHP (hp+es), and while this is good for keeping the traps threatening, this is absolutely insane for high ES characters to handle.

After about 30 runs of the merc lab, the only thing that has killed me is phy traps stacking hits on me.

Now, characters that use armor have next to no trouble with these traps, which is almost too good, but ES characters cannot use armor to mitigate this damage, as a hit for 5-9k (for people with 10000-15000 ES) is almost unaffected by armor rating.

Hits for 5k+ damage are just unacceptable, especially with how armor scaling works, there is no effective mitigation for it, and being required to be 100% perfect on an ES character while an armor character can take many more traps and slips before dying on a much smaller life pool is not exactly balanced.

Proposed solution: ES is factored into the EHP formula less.

Example of current damage:
2000 HP + 12000 ES = 14000 EHP

Hit does static 50%
Hit for 7000 damage.

Example of solution:
2000 HP + (12000*0.5) ES = 8000 EHP

Hit does static 50%
Hit for 4000.

This difference may seem biased towards ES characters, but this should actually help bring things in line, as currently ES characters with insane pools are being hit for unmanageable amounts, while armor characters being hit for smaller amounts with significantly more armor are able to mitigate damage easily.
Last bumped on Mar 6, 2016, 5:36:38 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
armour isnt gonna mitigate trap damage, its based on % of your health pool regardless
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. thinking: "This time is gonna be different. No, no, no please... This time is gonna be different."

-Path of Exile
Last edited by xrook on Mar 6, 2016, 2:52:42 AM
Yes, but, doesn't your ES regen to full in like five seconds?
For life chars with a small ammount of health regen it's much worse.
Avert thy gaze, child!

IGN: Shadowrope

Standard Warrior
they have bubbling flasks, and will run out only if they are reckless
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. thinking: "This time is gonna be different. No, no, no please... This time is gonna be different."

-Path of Exile
Yeah ES should be fine, especially if you have some ES regen nodes. Much easier than shit like pit death traps in Daresso's zones.
I think they should drop the damage % on ES calculation a little. may be not 50%

1 ES is never equal 1 HP. It is a little unfair.
"
Darkkrows wrote:
I think they should drop the damage % on ES calculation a little. may be not 50%

Or we could just evade them.... right?

Saws you can literally just run through as they move towards you
Spikes you just move as they go down like in every game with them
Fire floors hurt, don't stand on them
Darts you just whirling blades/leapslam/lightning warp through
If the door's trapped, don't stand on it
Guillotines you can literally walk past

The spinning wood things with the big spikes on them are hard, I'll give you that one.
Last edited by Stealthbug on Mar 6, 2016, 5:26:48 AM
"
Stealthbug wrote:
"
Darkkrows wrote:

Or we could just evade them.... right?

Saws you can literally just run through as they move towards you
Spikes you just move as they go down like in every game with them
Fire floors hurt, don't stand on them
Darts you just whirling blades/leapslam/lightning warp through
If the door's trapped, don't stand on it
Guillotines you can literally walk past

The spinning wood things with the big spikes on them are hard, I'll give you that one.
I think u missing the point.

It is not about how easy to dodge it(it is easy actually)
It is about how many mistakes u can take b4 dying.

life build have easier time than ES build because they can use potion to slow the degen while on the trap.

IMO I think the % damage on ES need to be adjusted
Yes, they are often easy to dodge, but certain traps like darts, where the poison will stop your ES regen for a rather large period, when mixed with other traps ends in quite a few very quick 1 error deaths.
EV chars I've run through it with have next to no trouble, you can essentially dodge/ev/flask tank every trap.
Armor chars have a good armor to pool ratio, meaning they can mitigate/flask through mistakes.

ES chars just... get worn down and die very quickly, as you cannot mitigate the large % hits, and you cannot evade them, and you cannot flask them.

Maybe 50% was too large of an adjustment, but currently theres really no nice mechanic to use to cover for the occasional mistake that currently ends in certain death.

If someone has a strategy for error recovery that I am unaware of, I would retract this suggestion.

Darkkrows has the right idea.
Last edited by Roukoswarf on Mar 6, 2016, 4:34:29 PM
% hp damage traps are the best mechanic they could do.
I play evasion character so it usualy take like 2-3 trap hits to kill me.
The mechanic is great since people cant brainlessly run thru the content like it were not there. People with high HP are just used to tank everything without effort and when you put something that require a bit of patience, they cry.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info