The Labyrinth - Poor game design

I have to write my own thread on the topic of the labyrinth, even though there are already plenty of them out there.
I am not going to talk about the overall difficulty of the labyrinth or how much damage the traps should do, as i think plenty of people will write about those subjects.

My issue is on the game design behind the labyrinth.

1. How did you think making the labyrinth would be a good idea, when the game appeals to a completely different target audience, than that of a puzzle game?

Most people i know that are playing path of exile come here for finding items, killing monsters and getting new and better items. The labyrinth is a completely different game style and for me it ruins the game experience. I do not mind that GGG adds stuff to the game that are different from other ARPG's (I.E. Hideouts), but the rewards for finishing the labyrinth is so overwhelming, that you feel like it is NOT optional.

2. For a player that has not read up on everything there is to know about the labyrinth before release, There is no structure or pointers towards what the hell is happening. Most of my time in the labyrinth went like this:
"Run to a lever" -> "press it" -> "Have no actual clue what happened" -> "Run to the next lever"
Also. Why would you make Izaro appear halfway through the labyrinth, just to make him disappear when he is at 50% hp with no warning? It made no sense, and i just stood there in silence for 2 minutes wondering what is happening

3. Not everyone is skilled at puzzle quests, and there is likely a bunch of people that are not adept players. I have played computer games for over 15 years, which means i am fairly accurate with my mouse movements, but not all are. It will be off-putting for a lot of players, and it really shouldn't be.
Colorblind? - Check out the Unofficial colourblind mode!
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147271
Last bumped on Mar 5, 2016, 4:41:34 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info