Solution for Windows 7 vc_redist.x64 not installing/repairing/errors

Hello fellow PoE gamers ... after 7 hours of trying to get my PoE to run i finally managed to fix it. Thank U reddit and all google could find!!!
Well the solution is in a reddit thread but i didnt understand it well.
So i will post a more easy version here!

BTW I am not responsible for any errors this might encounter on YOUR system!
It worked for me.

First background storry ... downloaded newest poe patch on steam! PoE did not start!
well someone wrote to manually install the vc_redist in the PoE file "Redist".
I saw the file and it was vc_redist.x86 for 32bit systems ... i run 64bit.
But... i clicked it and the window told me to repair it. I did that and it always stoped at some win7.MSU or got an ERROR.

so now i downloaded vc_redist.x64 from windows homepage ==>> https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=48145

now that didnt install either but u need it ... so download it for win7 !!!

Now the solution:

I had to download the KB2999226 update https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49093

It didn't install right away so i had to brute force it with cmd.exe (run it as admin):
Now U just type in the cmd window what i put in (*) ... dont type the (*) just whats inside.
(md c:\poe\test) <<== this means u create a folder on your C: hdd. Its name will be poe and has another file in it named test!

(taskkill /im wusa.exe /f) <<== this is kinda strange i couldnt execute it ... but the rest still worked for me, so u probably wont need it either.

(wusa "C:\Users\<yourusername>\Downloads\Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64.msu" /extract:C:\poe\test\) <<== this will extract the data which u have downloaded from microsoft from download file to poe/test. Only use C:\Users\<yourusername>\Downloads\... if this is your download directory where the KB2999226.msu is! If u have other download folder u need to put that path there!

(DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\poe\test\Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64.cab) <<== this will brute force the installation of the update KB2999226.

After it i was able to launch the vc_redist.x64 and properly repair it. Was able to run the game without reboots. I hope that it can help someone else.

SO at the end ... U need to download the vc_redist.x64 for 64bit or .x86 for 32 bit system. link above.
Then download the Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64.msu for 64bit or x86.msu for 32 bit system.

After downloaded follow my instructions, dont forget to NOT type the (*) i made arround the command lines.

WELL GGG should have checked their update better :P

Have a good one all
regards

PS: SRY forgot to tell U all that u need at least win7 service pack 1 installed to make this work!
PPS: I f youre windows is not up to date at least from december 2015, U will have this error.
Dont blame GGG for it ... it´s your fault that your PC (win7) is not up to date! If your win update is bugged like mine... not able to search download updates... USE THIS SOLUTION TO FORCE THE UPDATES U NEED MANUALLY!
IGN: Euridikee ==>> Need Auras? ...I provide
Last edited by Leprechaun83 on Mar 1, 2016, 7:15:17 PM
Last bumped on Feb 26, 2017, 10:00:55 PM
Very helpful post. Fortunately, I have not had the issues others are experiencing, but this is good advice.

Can someone please sticky this? At least for time being?
Censored.
aka...make sure windows is fuly updated, surprising how many have let important updates mount up
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
KB2999226 installer encountered an error: 0x80070422

cant understand how to extract this file from cmd.exe ?
Beta Member Since 2010
@ Kalidor

as i said the KB2999226 encountered an error whit me as well.

thats why u have to brute force it like i explaned.

u open the command line by writing cmd in the little command line when u press the windows start button .... after that just follow my instructions ... if u downloaded both files i posted links of.

regards
ok tried to do it with the cmd (i've already done it with 7zip, same thing)

got an error in the cmd command: 0x800f081e

The specified package is not applicable to this image.

lol this is so ridiculous that we're trying to solve a GGG's problem FFS!
Beta Member Since 2010
Hello I have error : 87 "option add-package is unknown" when I type the command DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\poe\test\Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64.cab Can you help me with that ?
"
AkOsZ wrote:
Hello I have error : 87 "option add-package is unknown" when I type the command DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\poe\test\Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64.cab Can you help me with that ?

sry to hear that buddy ... i cant think of any possible reason why it gives u this error!
if i come a cross a solution for that i will let U know.
"
Leprechaun83 wrote:
sry to hear that buddy ... i cant think of any possible reason why it gives u this error!if i come a cross a solution for that i will let U know.

Thx man Im trying to resolve some problems on my PC for hours now but still doesn't work and my windows update is fucked too (impssible to search new updates) tried every solutions i found but still nothing good so i think i'm going to give up
"
Leprechaun83 wrote:
"
AkOsZ wrote:

sry to hear that buddy ... i cant think of any possible reason why it gives u this error!
if i come a cross a solution for that i will let U know.

well cam across this shortly http://superuser.com/questions/1023801/dism-error-87-the-add-package-option-is-unknown

i guess u have a typo some where, because the error code is truly a syntax error.
try to exactly type everything as i did inclusive those capital letters

regards

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info