[2.2] My First Theorycraft - Champion of Wraeclast

Hello fellow Path of Exile players. I have been in the community lurking for quite some time, but I am always the type to look up a build that has already been laid out for me before adventuring into the world of Wraeclast. I have leeched and profited from not having to think for myself for many years, but these new Ascendancy classes have really peaked my interest.

This thread is not to say, "Hey, here is a perfect build, how to progress with it, and how to farm Atrizi on EZ mode". This is a thread in which we get together and actually attempt to use our brains to combine quite a few interesting things about the upcoming content from GGG.

Here is my goal, and I call it, quite fittingly, Champion of Wraeclast.

Goal:

- Make use of the new Ascendancy Class, the Champion
---- Fortitude = Constant Fortify (Toughness)
---- Inspirational = Group Damage and Move Speed (Damage and Utility)
- Make use of the new Sunder melee skill
---- AoE Physical skill gem (any physical gem really)
- Make use of the new Unique 1h "Troll" sword as it has been called, Varunastra
Spoiler

Reasoning:

- You can already get absurd damage/tooltip numbers with pretty much any build, so I wanted to make someone who could stand toe to toe and take the damage as well as dish it out if he had to. Damage never seems to be a problem in many builds I have used, it's always been defense.

Build

My feeble attempt, in which I would greatly appreciate help with refining....

Skill Point Build:

Ascendancy Build:
Spoiler

Results:

- 153% Life
- 640%'ish Physical Damage
--- Counting % damage from Fortify, while leeching, nodes and Ascendancy points
- 60%'ish Attack Speed
- Misc: More Block Chance, Resistances, Life Leech and other buffs to Shields and Fortify

Thoughts:

I know it's a full point build, but you can always take most of the damage nodes last based on how you feel your surviving. You can also opt into Iron Reflexes, Unwavering Stance, and Resolute Technique since they're close, or anything else you would like to add.

I am looking for you guys to help refine this build, your thoughts in general on what I have, and if I am barking COMPLETELY up the wrong tree, please let me know.

This is my first ever idea/build thread, so please keep flaming towards me and towards each other to a minimum. I am just trying to put a few things together that I found cool about Ascendancy, and build a class that I would enjoy playing. Something tanky, end game-ish, and fun.

I have not delved into gemming, bandits, or really gear in general, but perhaps I can expand on this if it is well received :)

Hope all you PoE fans enjoy the content release next Friday!

Theme Song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY
Last edited by sheeeeeeets on Feb 28, 2016, 7:32:11 PM
I think it's Rebuke of the Vaal that's the troll sword not Varunastra....

A few things about the build:

- Melee characters need a massive life pool to not get stunned (even with a high block chance you'll still get stunlocked without lots of block recovery) or stun immunity. Otherwise they suck to play in endgame. The exception to this is of course when using cyclone.

- You're missing jewel sockets! I think this is going to be one of the major strengths of the sword, as you can use jewels that have mace, dagger, claw rolls etc. So getting gg jewels for the build will be that much easier!

- RT. Veeery important.

- You're also missing any int on the tree, I think that being able to chuck in an Inc Aoe gem is really useful for melee, makes farming trash mobs so much more pleasant. (I also always use CWDT (level 1) linked to enfeeble (level 5) which requires 83 int) Having enough int on the tree means you don't need it on gear and can focus on getting that precious flat phys instead

You're also really lacking dex, which is pretty important to be able to equip items and certain gems (faster attacks, blood rage).

Personally I would make a tankier tree and take the Beserker class, getting Rite of Ruin for stun immunity most of the time and Aspect of Courage for a nice damage boost.

[2.2] Varunastra/Prismatic Eclipse DW Beserker /forum/view-thread/1604711
[2.2] Drunken Wretch - (Gladiator with The Retch + Broken Faith) /forum/view-thread/1656234
Last edited by themoleium on Feb 26, 2016, 11:22:01 PM
Really wanted to keep with a champion, as I have no idea why, but I am drawn to that subclass.

Just redid the build in PoE builder. Still editing over and over and over...

Added Jewel slot for mutt jewels (10%+ axe damage, 10%+ sword damage, 10%+ mace damage, 10%+ 1 hander damage, 10%+ damage with a shield equipped, etc:)

Added Iron Reflexes and Resolute Technique.

If I can get high life, Unwavering Stance isn't needed THAT much, will see....
Last edited by sheeeeeeets on Feb 28, 2016, 7:33:52 PM
I was messing around with champion a little too.

wanted to make low life duelist, since there is some good stuff to it.

Picked constant fortify and that node which gives 200% increased evasion and armor while on low life which is crazy.

gear-
loris lantern which reduces damage on average by 15%;
daresso's courage shield which gives 120% spell block on low life;
some mana gain when damage taken from corrupted mods.
and corrupted energy unique jewel. corrupted energy jewel in a sense that MoM will be used coupled with ES on life.
Optional: stone of lazhwar and rainbowstrider.
All other gear focused on ES and armor.

Grace aura so 200% increased mod will apply to it, and blasphemy enfeeble to further enhance evasion and armor effectiveness.

To maintain ES picked ghost reaver with some life and mana leech in duelist area.
Even its low life quantity of life is important. Life will receive 35% of damage, mana 15% and es 50%, this might sound stupid to do, but they all will count towards effective hp pool and their regeneration/leech amounts will be summed up.

I struggled thinking what to use on offense. Here is skill tree with bunch of free skillpoints, maybe you will be more successful:)
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwQAAdwFLQVmBx4NfBGWEuEUqRzcI9Mo-i5TL8w1kkGHQzFHfklRSbFM_01GVi1XyV85X2pi7GVNbmlvJ287dO1343gNf8aCx4TZhO-FMorwjxqPYI_6kyeVLppqmy2hL6LqqW6wq7QMtfK3PriTvTa-ir6nwBrBgsSCytPQ0NNv1fjWWNfP2L3awd7l4J_quuvu74jw1fk3-ej-Cg==
Last edited by Andrius319 on Mar 1, 2016, 1:50:56 PM
"
Andrius319 wrote:
76% ES on tree low life build? u wot mate?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info