You are logging in from a new location

I keep getting this message almost every time I log in. I am absolutely certain that the account is not compromised, but my ISP does seem to provide a new IP address every time my router resets. The location name is always the same, yet I keep having to open the e-mail that reads "someone attempted to log in from a location that you don't typically play from", followed by the exact same location it mentioned last time. Is there any way to disable this feature?
Last bumped on Feb 20, 2016, 11:32:33 AM
You can email support and ask them to turn that security feature off if it's that annoying, I'd advise against that though. :)
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
or you can uncheck "save login details", in that case you'll have to enter password each time which is better(well, at least faster) than checking email
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
or you can uncheck "save login details", in that case you'll have to enter password each time which is better(well, at least faster) than checking email

The risk isn't from someone logging in from your PC. The risk is on someone getting your username/password through other means and then logging into your account from THEIR machine.

The security feature is there for the user's protection. It was implemented because there was malware released back early into the game that targeted PoE accounts specifically and was allowing a LOT of user accounts to become compromised.

Adding the unlock code is an extra layer of security unless your email password is the same as your PoE password (which it should never be). You should never have a password for an account that is tied to an email address be the same as the email address.. That ensures that if one is compromised, all are compromised. It's all about security through layers.

Steam also doesn't require an unlock code because they implement their own security to keep the PoE account safe. That is an option if you want to not have the unlock code issue but still keep your account secured.
"
Drakier wrote:
"
silumit wrote:

The risk isn't from someone logging in from your PC. The risk is on someone getting your username/password through other means and then logging into your account from THEIR machine.

The security feature is there for the user's protection. It was implemented because there was malware released back early into the game that targeted PoE accounts specifically and was allowing a LOT of user accounts to become compromised.

Adding the unlock code is an extra layer of security unless your email password is the same as your PoE password (which it should never be). You should never have a password for an account that is tied to an email address be the same as the email address.. That ensures that if one is compromised, all are compromised. It's all about security through layers.

Steam also doesn't require an unlock code because they implement their own security to keep the PoE account safe. That is an option if you want to not have the unlock code issue but still keep your account secured.
I agree with all of the above. Only one question - what does my previous post have do with all that?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
I agree with all of the above. Only one question - what does my previous post have do with all that?

You mentioned unchecking "save login details" as a way to secure their account rather than checking email.

I was explaining that unchecking "save login details" only helps prevent people from logging in via your own PC (like if you share PCs with someone, or someone else could have access to it). It doesn't help anything with security from outside of the PC, and it doesn't prevent you having to check email if the location security is still enabled. It's an additional step to enter all the details.
"
Drakier wrote:
"
silumit wrote:

You mentioned unchecking "save login details" as a way to secure their account rather than checking email.

I was explaining that unchecking "save login details" only helps prevent people from logging in via your own PC (like if you share PCs with someone, or someone else could have access to it). It doesn't help anything with security from outside of the PC, and it doesn't prevent you having to check email if the location security is still enabled. It's an additional step to enter all the details.
Seriously? Like, there wasn't even one word on the matter of security in my post. OP just asked for an option to not use email confirmation so I told him about such an option. Which doesn't compromise his security in any way, mind you.
"
silumit wrote:
OP just asked for an option to not use email confirmation so I told him about such an option. Which doesn't compromise his security in any way, mind you.

Only problem is that your solution does absolutely nothing for the OP's problem, which is what Drakier was trying to explain.

Doing as you suggest would only make the OP have to type his password in before having to check his email for the unlock code. Unchecking "save login" doesn't turn off the IP check security feature. :)
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Shovelcut wrote:
Doing as you suggest would only make the OP have to type his password in before having to check his email for the unlock code. Unchecking "save login" doesn't turn off the IP check security feature. :)

yes.
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
silumit wrote:
OP just asked for an option to not use email confirmation so I told him about such an option. Which doesn't compromise his security in any way, mind you.

Only problem is that your solution does absolutely nothing for the OP's problem, which is what Drakier was trying to explain.

You are wrong. I didn't have to check email at all since the very first day I unchecked that. The password is all that's needed in that case. Why would I suggest it if it wasn't a solution, ffs?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info