Blade Vortex - What Support Gems?

Hey folks, I can't really decide how to best support my Blade Vortex. For passives I basically took AoE, Inc Duration and lots of crit. I'm currently playing on a 5L:
BV - Spell Echo - Faster Cast - Added Fire - Inc AoE
I'm looking forward to drop Inc AoE once I get a Divinarius and a Carcass Jack. I'll most likely swap it for Inc Duration.
However, looking at BV's rather poor damage effectiveness it occured to me that poison might be alot better then Added Fire Damage. I was also using Herald of Ash until now, but if I'd swap to Poison I could swap HoA for Arctic Armour.

Now I'm not really sure if that's a good idea. I mean there's a inherent synergy between BV and Poison since I have alot of Increased Duration (which will increase the duration of Poison aswell if I'm not mistaken).

What's your thought? Should I drop Added Fire and HoA and use Poison instead?
"
kahzin wrote:

What's your thought? Should I drop Added Fire and HoA and use Poison instead?

Yes. Most use poison and controlled destruction with BV. Both give you a bigger damage boost.
Blasphemy - vulnerability also gives you more damage than herald of ash for the mana you reserve. Selfcasting curses with BV lowers your clearspeed imo as you should have your hands full using whirling blades and recasting BV.
i've tinkered around with BV a LOT over the last while now.

absolute must links are BV, inc duration, spell echo, conc effect. next controlled destruction will give you by far and large the most DPS out of any other support gem including poison, but you can place poison here just fine if you want.

i personally run curses on a dual curse BV curse on hit setup which has higher aoe than my damage one due to conc effect. the duration is not as long but to recast this once every 9 seconds is really not an issue and it doesn't reserve mana such as blasphemy. i really really dislike blasphemy. this will allow you to continue to use HoA if you so choose.

as for cast speed you can socket vaal haste/clarity. right before a boss pop both and spin up 50 blades in no time free of cost, then rush in and destroy the boss.
Should have mentioned that I'm crit based. Would you still recommend Controlled Destruction? I do have Warlord's Mark on Blasphemy.

Here's my current setup on BV (5L, lvl 90 Shadow, TSC)

Blade Vortex + Echo + Controlled Destruction + Poison + Increased Duration

My setup is probably similar to yours with crit and duration nodes from the tree.
Blasphemy + Warlord's and Hatred for auras.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
kahzin wrote:
Should have mentioned that I'm crit based. Would you still recommend Controlled Destruction? I do have Warlord's Mark on Blasphemy.

I did the math in a recent feedback thread, and you have almost the same amount of DPS boost in a crit build as a non-crit build. The only thing you have to worry about is if GGG decides to patch the gem to work intuitively. In the current state of the game, if you deal Spell Damage, you always always always want Controlled Destruction. (A more accurate name for the gem as is would be "More Spell DPS" gem)

I can pull up the math again if desired.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Feb 12, 2016, 10:29:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info