[2.1] The Voltaxic CoC Poison Spark - 100% Pierce & Drillneck!

UPDATE: After further testing i made a similar build based on Rigwald's Quills instead of Drillneck - In my opinion overall a better build! Please check it out and tell me what you think:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1571076

Hi and welcome to this short guide on my current build.

Introduction & Build Concept
Earlier in Talisman league I played Daidalos' Poisonous Quills and then Mathils' Voltaxic LA/BR and had much fun doing so. Especially the LA/BR build is strong, but in the end i wanted to create something a little more unique.
Here's what i came up with:
The Idea is to play Voltaxic Cast on crit using Barrage enhanced by 3 Volley Fire Jewels and projectile based Lightning/Chaos spells. Obviously Voltaxic offers only 6% base crit, but the huge number of projectiles we achieve with the Volley fire Jewels makes up for that.

VIDEO: Fracturing Gorge run https://vid.me/TYXS - the video quality is bad, i apologize for that...

Damage Scaling
We aim for Projectile damage & Chaos damage and Global Crit.
Because Barrage and our spells share the properties of being chaos projectiles, all the damage scaling from passives and support gems nicely double dips on both barrage and the linked spells.

For a further damage & clear speed boost, we use Drillneck, a Horned Talisman, Pierce Passives and the unique Jewel Poacher's Aim. This gives us 90-100% Pierce and the same amount of Projectile Damage without having to use a pierce gem.

As a build which produces a huge number of Chaos damage based hits, it's a natural decision to go for Poison damage as well.

For tough bosses we have Wither on a Spell totem, enhancing our damage, slowing the Target and acting as a decoy sometimes.

Skills & Links
6L: Barrage - Cast on Crit - Spark - Ball Lightning - Poison - Void Manipulation.

4L: Spell totem - Wither - Faster Casting - Increased Duration

4L: Assassin's Mark - Curse on Hit - Herald of Thunder - Frenzy

4L: Cast when damage taken - Immortal Call - Increased Duration - Vaal Haste or Vaal Grace

4L: Wrath - Clarity - Blood rage - Ice Golem

Current Gear
Please note that the gear below is far from ideal - it's just an example.

Gear Priorities: Short and simple - Crit. Try to stack as much Crit as possible on your Rings, Helmet (Rat's Nest), Gloves (Maligaro's or Acuity - Acuity is a good option because you will need to get a big amount of int in order to run lvl 20/21 Wrath and Spells) and Jewellery (Diamond Rings with Crit master craft & Horned Talisman with high crit excplicit)

Passive Tree
Jewel Spots
3x Volley Fire - Socket next to the Shadow Power Charge, Socket next to the Ranger Frenzy Charge, Socket between Ranger and Shadow
1X Lioneye's Fall - Socket on the far left, transforming the Staff and Melee nodes into Bow/Global Crit nodes. Yes, on top of the crit chance we get an 10% chance to gain an Endurance Charge on critical strike with a bow. This greatly boosts out immortal Call duration.
1x Poacher's Aim- Location unimportant
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAA5YFtQYjBnAPqxa_GYoaOBvII_YkiyT9JpUqCypbMHwx-jWSNj031DnUOyg8LUFyQzZJE0rITZJOn1FHUuxVS1nzWlJfsGBDYeJirGZUaFhsjG1sbj1uqm-eb_JwUnIPcql3B3n2en97FHvDfyuDCYNfg8yExYcTidOJ2IngjAuMNo19jb-QVZJ9kx-Ub5XMlwaYb5tdm7WcpJ2qoJ-hpKfUqJqsqrTFtUi18rc-uXy8mr6AwuzDOsSixPbGrslnykrP3deW2L3cI-Hb5c_mWOdU7LDtP-1E8Yryl_cy_gr-yP_e
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Oro's Crit Flicker Assassin: view-thread/1691639
Sire of Ignites Elementalist: view-thread/1703646
Low Life CocSpray Occultist: view-thread/1711959
Last edited by EvilChomsky on Jan 21, 2016, 8:03:12 AM
Have you thought about a Lioneye's Fall jewel around the stave node for a huge crit bonus?
edit: nvm, noticed at the bottom of your post :D

Looks interesting. I'm considering levelling a scion to give this a try but I don't know how much I'd enjoy the CoC or if it'd be as strong as the build by Mathils as a ranger.

How would you compare the clear speed and boss fights versus your experience with Mathils build?
Last edited by Cicida on Jan 18, 2016, 10:32:59 PM
I am uploading a video of a Gorge run right now, so you can have a closer look at the clear speed of the build (warning: the quality sucks:().

The general Clear speed is great, just as good as LA - maybe even better.

In terms of Single Target damage, Blast Rain is probably better... i am still working on that for this build, maybe i will use a second 6L as a single target setup. But it has to be said: Blast rain is insane damage, i don't think many skills can compare right now.

[EDIT: Video added - hope this will do to give you a first impression. From the Boss fight at the end you can see that the build actually has quite decent single target damage.]
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Last edited by EvilChomsky on Jan 19, 2016, 1:28:49 AM
This is hands down the best guide EVER!
Haha thanks Schnaasy, although i do sense a hint of irony;D

UPDATE: Currently testing other Passive tree variants (using only 2x volley Fire but picking up more crit) and Vaal Burning Arrow-GMP-Trap-Conc-Void Manip- Poison as a single target skill. Looking good so far.
My 2.3 Build Guides:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info