[2.1] Crit EleBuzzsaw (Foils) Low Cost 25k+ GMP DPS

Hey guys,

Mathil hasn't done his Sword Based Crit Elebuzzsaw yet this league, but I've been running it based on the 2.1 tree he posted in his update list, and had a pretty fun time both leveling and mapping. I thought I'd post it seeing as quite a few people had asked for it.

Current Stats @ Level 91 with around 5ex invested
  • 43% Evasion / 30% Dodge
  • 4.5k HP
  • 47k GMP DPS (7 Frenzy charges / 3 Power charges) / 52k with Flasks
  • There is still plenty of room for improvement in my gem levels/quality, jewels, and jewellery

___

Pros:
  • Very cheap to gear up to endgame
  • Fast and fun playstyle
  • Viable for most map mods
  • Quite happy with rippy T14 maps, as well as Colosseum
  • Nostalgia for those who miss the good old days

Cons:
  • Elemental resistant mobs are dumb
  • Evasion/dodge based - potential for 1 shots
  • Small boss areas can be a hassle by cutting down your manual evasion

___

Leveling
Fresh Start: Starting as a Ranger, we're going to grab a bow and make use of Split Arrow/Ice Shot/Lightning Arrow to get early progress underway. You'll need Spectral Throw Gems, Lesser Multiple Projectile Gems, and Added Cold Gems to level in your off hand slots. The skills are similar enough that they'll both benefit from the early pathing into projectile damage/speed and up to our first Jewel Slot (above Ranger start nodes) where we will put Static Electricity (Unique Jewel). As you level, hunt out Elreon (Forsaken Master) Missions, so that you can level him up to 4, this will get him selling his -Mana Cost jewellery. For the most part, gem levels and linking your Bow skill with added cold and lesser multiple projectiles will keep you killing easily enough until you can switch over to Spectral Throw. Once you have a little currency, hunt down 2 x Chitus' Needle Unique foils. With these, a 4L ST, and a couple of Elreon rings, you can level pretty easily up to 60ish.

Alt Start: Grab a Tabula Rasa, ST, and some Redbeaks, and then progress through your choice of Unique weapon. We won't be speccing into the Sword nodes for a while, so any daggers, axes, foils ot whatever will be fine until you can dual wield Chitus' Needles.

___

Playstyle
Standing around in town, or your hideout, your DPS will look a bit shit. However, when you start mapping and killing with Blood Rage on, you'll start gaining Frenzy Charges and Power Charges. With 7 Frenzy Charges, our attack speed and damage are massively increased, and with the bump from Power Charges we can hit almost double our standing-around DPS.

For the most part, we use GMP as our main attack link. This allows us to spam a few shots, then run towards, through, and around packs letting the projectiles hit mobs. The idea is to be constantly on the move to keep the mapping quick and fun. When crits hit, mob packs will generally shatter, so with a little timing you can easily fire off a few volleys, and time the whirling blades through the pack as it explodes. It looks very cool. Because we kill so fast, you can pretty much keep your flasks up 100% of the map, meaning more DPS.

For dangerous mobs, being able to kite around and through while popping off volleys means we have active manual evasion going all the time, and can keep a constant stream of projectiles hitting. Alternatively, you can hit them at the volley apex by keeping them on the edge of the screen, or use a wall/environmental debris to quickly bounce projectiles back into them.

Boss rooms, we generally switch to LMP instead of GMP so our hits are harder but we still have a bit of spread to cut down the need to namelock or target focus. With Surgeons flasks and the high rate of fire we have, flask charges are relatively easy to keep up in single target encounters.
___

Leveling Trees

30 Points

45 Points

60 Points

80 Points

100 Points

Passive Tree @ Level 91

Claws Tree @ Level 91

Dagger Tree @ Level 91

___

Bandits
Bit of flexibility here. I took Oak in Normal for the HP (we're a little short on this), Kraityn in Cruel for Attack Speed, and Kraityn again in Merciless for the Frenzy. If you prefer the passives, you can take them in Normal and Cruel, but the Frenzy charges are a big chunk of our damage, so I recommend taking it over anything else.

Gear
  • Helm: We want EV/Life for this slot. For my money, Starkonjas is BiS for the attack speed and crit chance. You can use Rat's Nest, but you'll want to make up the loss of HP elsewhere
  • Chest: We want the usual, high EV, high life, and some resists. We're mostly whirling blades based, so Queen of the Forest could be good here, or Belly of the Beast if you really want the extra life - this will chunk your EV though.
  • Rings: For a 5L we need 1 Elreon ring with -7+ to mana cost, preferably with life and some resists. For the other ring, look for 30%+ elemental damage, life and resists. Attack speed would be useful as well, as would some flat ele damage. For a 6L setup, you'll need another piece of Elreon jewellery (can be expensive with desired mods)
  • Amulet: Preferably INT, life, crit multi and elemental damage plus resists.
  • Shield: Look for high EV, life and resists. However, we are INT starved, so getting a shield with INT on it will make life a lot easier
  • Gloves: Maligaros are BiS, but expensive. You get similar DPS using Facebreakers, a slight DPS decrease with Thunderfist, or could go rare gloves with attack speed and flat damage
  • Boots: High HP, some evasion, and resists mostly - but you may also need INT on them as well. Movespeed is not that important as we'll be whirling around lots.
  • Belt: Elemental damage, life and whatever resists are missing - belts get really expensive with these mods on them, so be prepared to compromise a little if you're on a budget.
  • Weapon: Has to be a 1H sword, with 1.8+ APS, 6.5+ Crit, and 280+ ele DPS
  • Flasks: 1 Mana Flask / Atziris Promise / Life Flask / Ruby / Topaz
  • Jewels: A static electricity is mandatory (slotted in above the ranger start), for your other slots you want lightning damage/projectile damage/attack speed/life
  • Claws: We're not dealing Phys damage, so your BIS will be a LGOH one - Imperial Claw or Gemini Claw. Aim for 300+ Ele DPS, 7.5+ Crit, and 1.8+ APS. I tested with the one in the spoiler below and got 39k DPS, but had to lose a passive node elsewhere due to needing 7 points for the respec.

Example Gear

Gem Setup:
  • Auras: We run Wrath and Herald of Ice, linked with COH Assasins Mark
  • ST: ST+GMP+Added Cold+Added Lightning+Weapon Elemental Damage (+Lightning Pen for 6L)
  • Frenzy: Frenzy+Faster Attacks+ Power Charge on Crit
  • CWDT: CWDT+Warlords Mark+Immortal Call (preferably with Increased Duration)
  • Utility: Summon Ice Golem / Blood Rage / Vaal Haste+Increased Duration / Whirling Blades+Fortify (faster attacks not really necessary or easy to manage)
  • Alternates: LMP for most boss encounters

Costing
Your primary requirements are getting the foil, a 5L, and your gloves. The 5L above cost 10c, the first foil 7C, and Facebreakers can be had for 5c or so (we only need the crit multi roll, everything else doesn't matter). Jewels can be had for around 5-10c (Static Electricity up to 20c), and the rest of the gear is just building around your needs/want and budget. 1ex should get you rolling with about 25-30k GMP dps pretty easily.

Questions
Spoiler

Accuracy on gear?
Not terribly necessary - with the passive tree and Ice Golem we sit at about 90% accuracy anyways. If you can get some on rings and amulet, there is no reason not to.

Why Added Cold instead of Faster Attacks?
Chilling, Freezing, and Shattering is much easier with the Added Cold gem. This helps to stop wankers from getting too close. You can use FA, but the build attacks fast enough with 7 frenzies, it feels a little wasted.

Why not daggers?
You can use daggers instead, obviously the tree is a bit different. Spec out of the sword nodes at the bottom of the tree, find a spare passive point and take the dagger cluster next to the Shadow frenzy charge (take the lower hemisphere). I went with foils because I found a decent one for 7c, and I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

Why not claws?
Claws have some pretty crappy nodes for crit/multi, but it is still doable. Spec out of the sword nodes at the bottom of the tree, and grab the upper hemisphere of the claw cluster next to the shadow frenzy charge. Make you grab both nodes behind the notables for the crit multi. With the 5c claw in the example gear spoiler, I was running 40k DPS - however I had to spec out of a life passive to get all 7 nodes.

Uber?
Normal Atziri is a piece of piss, but Uber? You're a braver man than I. With a 6L and some decent investment in your weapon, jewels, and other gear, I think you could probably manage a decent crack at it. If you do, let me know, I'd love to see it.

Hardcore Viable?
Um, don't know - I'm too shit to play Hardcore. Probably not with sub 5k HP and evasion based.

Clarity? Going OOM is so 1.2
I have around 130 unreserved mana, which gives me around 6 whiffed attacks on a 5L and 5 on a 6L (with 1 Elreon ring). This is usually enough to keep me going between packs easily enough, but I also decided to sacrifice an extra life flask slot for the mana pot. Personal preference here, I'd say. You could run low level clarity, but I think the reservation will remove the benefit of more regen.

Vaal Pact?
Current tree has 3.6% HP regen, and blood rage uses 4%. We degen very very slowly, meaning there is little stress in running it. You can use Vaal Pact, which will make you safer against single targets, but also adds some complications for general clearing. Again, personal preference here.

Blood Dance Boots?
Sure! If you don't mind losing some more HP, and can manage the resists then the boots will be useful.

Hyaon's Fury, brah! That'd be fucking sweet for this build!
13k less DPS when I tested it with my current setup. I'd recommend checking out Mathils HyaonClone build if you're keen on using one, otherwise Lightning Strike is pretty balls deep crazy. But yeah, for this build - too slow, crit too low.

Atziri's Step Boots?
Current setup? Nah. 16% Spell Dodge is too low to give up the huge resist and potential INT slot. HOWEVER! You could drop several crit multi/attack speed/elemental damage nodes, spec into Phase Acrobatics, and THEN use them. That'd be a boost to survivability for sure. The trick is to figure out whether (based on your playstyle) extra life or extra dodge/spell dodge is going to be more valuable to you over the DPS loss. Also, its going to get very tough to manage your resists.

Disclaimer: This general tree and build idea belongs to Mathil but all the little mistakes, cock-ups, poor gearing choices and terrible passive node ideas are mine. I don't have a lot of game knowledge, so asking me questions might be a bit pointless sorry.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Jan 16, 2016, 4:14:43 PM
Added a couple of truly terrible quality videos. Sigh.

First time trying out OBS, makes me really miss ShadowPlay.

Anyways, I'll put up a couple of better ones once I figure this shit out.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Added a couple of bits to the Questions box after doing a little testing with Hyaons and Atziris Step.

Trying to farm some more T13+ maps to make some more videos, but having absolutely shit luck.

Also added a Dagger and a Claw tree, after doing some testing with a POS 5c Claw. Daggers with the right DPS range are a bugger to find.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Jan 16, 2016, 4:16:16 PM
Just a question but would the mana leech nodes solve the need for a mana pot ?

I really hate running mana potions since they buffed the leech nodes, just a thought.
nice build!!
i am rolling this in talisman, only downside is that foil ST without mtx looks ugly as f**k
"
Jollyfox wrote:
Just a question but would the mana leech nodes solve the need for a mana pot ?

I really hate running mana potions since they buffed the leech nodes, just a thought.

When you're attacking and hitting, running out isn't an issue. Throwing projectiles before and after a pack, which you can then lead into mobs, will OOM you after 6 or 7 shots though, and 60% reduced regain maps can sometimes be a bit iffy on low density encounters.

The mana pot isn't essential, so feel free to skip it. I'd keep a rolled one handy in the stash though if you plan on hitting 40/60% reduced maps regularly, or you find that your playstyle is putting you OOM too often.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Jan 24, 2016, 4:59:09 AM
"
fanji wrote:
nice build!!
i am rolling this in talisman, only downside is that foil ST without mtx looks ugly as f**k

It comes up on sale reasonably regularly, and is usually pretty cheap. The whole "buzzsaw" concept loses a bit of punch without the golden bananas.

If anyone is running the build, I'd really appreciate seeing your gear setups and your DPS/Defensive stats. I think there is a lot more potential than I've managed to wring out of the concept.

I ripped most of my currency to the Div Cards and vandor recipe challenges today, so I'll be working on getting solvent again and getting a 6L Belly of the Beast/better shield so I can do some more testing.

tree

gear
Spoiler

HP 4838 Eva 9.7K
With 7 frenzy, 3 power and ice golem up DPS is 36K GMP and 40K LMP.
Without coil the damage should be higher by wearing maligaro gloves (my current gloves suck)
BM gem is used because even with the new leech nodes there were ~1sec moments where i was unable to cast and I didnt like it, but that is again a dps drop..
I also question the usefulness of Intuitive leap at the right side of my tree :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info