[2.1] *Cheap* CI, CA + BF Trapper w/ Poison and Dual Curse

Having tried to play Caustic Arrow this patch, I was disappointed with the play-style due to no-longer having 100% pierce as i did before. Rather than continuing to level a character which I found less fun than during Warbands and Darkshrine, I decided to build something different; emphasizing the kiting play-style of traps, and chaos damage/trap-node positioning on the skill tree.

Due to the added damage from Chaos/DoT nodes, and 3 skill point cost to grab the Poison node, Poison damage was getting buffed and would be stupid not to take. Additionally, Bladefall is very strong now and would hurt the build not to use. Finally, the naturally-high Physical damage of the spell means that poison applications are being applied with a high DoT tick.

108 Point Passive Tree

Items:
1/1 bow, 1/2 being ideal, with a Drillneck or Rigwald's Quiver
Deerskin Boots
Energy Shield/Resistances

Gems: (not many sockets/links required outside of the bow)
Bow - Caustic Arrow > Trap > Trap and Mine Damage > Rapid Decay > Void Manipulation > Conc. Effect/Empower
Deerstalker Boots - Bladefall > Multiple Traps > Added Chaos Damage > Poison
Blasphemy > Temporal Chains > Enfeeble
Blink Arrow > Faster Attacks
Flame Golem (with whatever you want)

Additional points from levelling should go towards Energy Shield nodes. We are using a bow/quiver and will not receive energy shield via an offhand. Stack as much as possible. our natural +220% energy shield is enough for a while, but I'm not so sure about pure endgame. That being said, we deal a lot of safe AOE damage, so this may not be necessary.

Bandits: All, All, All
Reasoning: Unlike traditional Poison Arrow/Caustic Arrow builds; Normal-we do not use HP so oak HP is not required, Cruel-All has always been the choice, Merciless-we are not stacking frenzy charges.

Notes:
*At level 58 with a 1/1 5L bow and the Rigwald quiver, I'm sitting on 5-6k cloud dps, with 4.2k Bladefall dps. Levelling even through merciless feels like running through normal with firetrap + flame totem, fast/easy. Youd dont take many shield nodes until later, so you will get one-shot without ideal gear, so I wouldn't recommend this for HC. (all gems are <level 20 and 0 quality)

**I have not yet taken CI at 58 either, as I lack the gear to do it reliably, and have been rushing through levels too quickly to care about investing along the way. You could invest in HP/ES nodes to level more safely if you have regrets to spare.

***Alternate classes include Scion/Witch for their positioning on the skill tree near AoE nodes (potentially the Templar AoE/Spell one), but would lose some of the benefits to pure damage granted by the Shadow.
Last edited by 13elial on Jan 8, 2016, 7:06:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info