[2.2] Yalani's Aegis Aurora Essence Drain/Abyssal Cry Build

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, hi!

How does this build work?
You cast abyssal cry and kill one single enemy with Essencedrain (High singletarget damage) and all other enemies around it will die for sure!
Oh, and you also have Aegis for some [actually a lot :P] tankyness.

Make sure to have a look at the Math Section.

Core Features:

•Can Facetank pretty much every content
•Nice Clearspeed
•Can run EVERY mapmod (and pretty much every Combination of mods)
•Can kill every mapboss with no problems - Except for the Core Map (Too much DoT)
•Watching the world explode is fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of content

0. TLDR-Guide
1. Gameplay Videos
2. Skill-setup
3. Items
4. Bandits
5. Passives
6. Stats
7. Some math
8. My gear

0. TLDR-Guide

Coming soon!

1. Gameplay Videos

Quick Gorge run - Level 91 Berserker
https://youtu.be/FMa99taLRo0

Video of T13-15 Maps coming soon!

2. Skill-setup

Without Consuming Dark

4Link: Abyssal Cry - Inreased Area of Effect - Void Manipulation - Poison

5/6Link: Essence Drain - Void Manipulation - Pierce - Controlled Destruction - Poison - Slower Projectiles

With Consuming Dark:

4Link: Abyssal Cry - Inreased Area of Effect - Void Manipulation - Rapid Decay

5/6Link: Essence Drain - Void Manipulation - Pierce - Controlled Destruction - Slower Projectiles - Rapid Decay

Rest

4Link: Enlighten(not needed) - Grace - Blasphemy - Curse (Vulnerability for damage/Enfeeble for Defense)

3Link: Whirling Blades - Fortify - Faster Attacks

CWDT + Tempest Shield and a Flamegolem/Bloodrage anywhere else
Don't use Bloodrage in hard-rolled high level maps - Your ES will drop pretty fast and you might need that additional 1k+ EHP!

Utility Gems for the leftover Sockets (Orb of storm + Blind for example)

3. Items

Mainhand:
Consuming Dark: Highest damage output possible, since you can swap out the Poison Gem with another more multiplier - the additional Int is also nice to have

Bino's Kitchen Knife: Highest AoE possible due to the Posion Proliferation, which also serves as a nice damage boost

Advancing Fortess: Pretty much the best defensive option due to +15 Blockchance and other Defenses - you can change some (a lot actually) Block nodes on the tree for even more life

A rare Sai with Spelldamage and Attackspeed: Solid hybrid Defense/Offense option - make sure to get Attackspeed for your Whirling Blades - this is the only thing all other Uniques lack

Daresso's Passion: Pretty nice alternative for Bloodrage in higher maps (you probably don't wanna use BR there) - and the +80% damage boost without Charges is actually pretty good, since it boosts your initial AND your Poison damage

Cybil's Paw: Basically 120% increased Spelldamage, the other stats are kinda wasted - I wouldn't recommend this, but it works if you don't have anything else

Offhand:

Aegis Aurora: This is what makes this build tanky - you simply dont care about... everything.

Amulet

Stone of Lazhwar:Needed for some additional Spellblock - Preferably corrupted with +to Block Chance.

For Gladiator only: Rare Amulet with Life + Resists + Armour/ES/Evasion

Boots

Rainbowstrides: Again, more Spellblock + some ES for Aegis

For Gladiator only: Pure ES boots or Hybrid ES/Eva boots with Life on it

Body Armour
Again, personal prefference - just use what you already got in your stash

Lightning Coil: Very high synergy with the high amount of Armour on this build - it isn't easy to counteract the -60% resi though, since we are already using 3-4 other uniques without resistances. Coil also doesnt protect you from Elemental Damage

Belly of the Beast: Solid option, since we don't get that much %Life on the tree

Carcass Jack: Lacks high Evasion/Armour but compensates with a decent Life + ES roll - The increased AoE is pretty nice for your clearspeed aswell

Daresso's Defiance: A pretty nice hybrid Offensive/Defensive Chest - Blocking something still counts as a hit, so you won't keep those Endurance Charges but Onslaught is a pretty nice bonus to Whirling Blades

Rare Chest: Pure Evasion, pure ES or Hybrid ES/Evasion - Evasion is better than Armour, due to how the Iron Reflexes formula works

Gloves

Something like this would be perfect - otherwise just stack as much Evasion and Life(or ES) as possible

Helmet

The Vertex: High ES/Evasion and +to all gems - easily the best Helmet for this build.
If you dont have a 5/6 Link, you can socket your Essence Drain here for the reduced mana cost and +1 level

Jewels
Balance between Life/ES, Block, Chaosdamage and Generic damage
Dont underestimate jewels - A jewel with 10% Chaos damage and 10% Damage is a HUGE bonus to your DPS. Blockchance and Life/ES is also pretty important!

Rest
Nothing special, just stack Life + Resists + Evasion/Armor

4. Bandits

Normal: Life

Cruel: Skillpoint

Merciless: Skillpoint or Frenzy Charge if you use Doedre's (or Bloodrage) like me

5. Passives

Marauder - Berserker
-VERY Offensive spec; good Gear recommended
-Additional Block on your Gear/Jewels required
-40% more damage (which double dips, so actually even more than 40%) and half the Cooldown on Abyssalcry for the best Clearspeed of all Ascendancies
-Also a decent amount of Attackspeed for Whirling Blades for even more Clearspeed
-10% Increased Damage taken and no Defense at all in the Ascendancy tree (Still not squishy, since this is an Aegis build after all, but the most vulnerable Ascendancy Class)

Duelist - Gladiator
-Defensive spec; do this if you dont have good gear
-Max Block/Spellblock without Gear
-Remove some Blocknodes if your gear has additional Blockchance
-You do not need Stone of Lazhwar/Rainbowstrides

Scion - Gladiator + Occultist
-Offensive spec; more damage via Occultists -15% Chaos resistance
-You need some additional Block on your Gear/Jewels
-No Attackspeed via Ascendancy at all, which results in a pretty slowish Whirling Blades
-Doesn't need additional Int via the Passivetree/Gear

Shadow - Trickster
-Can be offensive or defensive
-Additional Block on Gear/Jewels required
-Passivetree is the same as Scions

Trickster Acendancy Points:
-Pretty much everything is good for this build
-Patient Reaper, Walk the Aether and Swift Killer for maximum clearspeed
-Shade Form + X for defense

6. Stats

ED Damage (Berserker level 91):

^this + ~16,5K Poison DPS per use
The damage is unbuffed - the DoT aspect of ED deals ~38,5k DPS with 4 Frenzy charges

Defensive screenshot is pre-ascendancy - i will add a new one soon

My current Defensive Stats at level 95 (In Hideout with Tempest Shield):

Offensive Stats:

Abyssal Cry oneshots EVERY group (300% of max life on top end) - for some math, have a look below
Essence Drain does ~140k damage on a single use.

7. Abyssal Cry Math

Also outdated! The damage is a lot higher now

As already mentioned, abysall cry will oneshot EVERY pack of mobs.
AC's damage is based on the maximum Life of the enemy you kill, so it doesnt matter if you use it in Dried Lake or a T15 Map - it does the same damage everytime!

Here is the Math for my current Equip:

AC Basedamage is 8% and my total damage increase (Chaosdamage from tree + Damage from jewels) is 288%
0,08*3,88 ~ 0,31

Now lets add Void Manipulation:

0,31 * 1,39 = 0,43 = 43%
<---- This is the INITIAL damage your Abyssal Cry deals

And now the poison!
Poison deals 10% of the initial damage per second = 4,3%

My Increased damage (Chaos + DoT + Poison + Jewels) totals 666%
0,043 * 7,66 ~ 33%

+Void Manipulation
0,33 * 1,39 ~ 46%

So the poison deals an additional 46% damage per second
for 2,9 Seconds (Tree Skillduration + Poison Quality bonus) for a total of ~ 142%

If we add the initial damage, our abyssal cry deals a total of ~185%
of the single enemies life you just killed to all sorounding enemies.

If you add Vulnerability, this damage will be increased to ~232%!

If you add 4 Frenzy Charges from doedres (Or Bloodrage if you want to use this instead), the damage adds to a grant total of ~300%! (Yes, Frenzy Charges are insane for Poison)

But wait, there is more:
Since Poison stacks, EVERY enemy which is killed by your Abyssal cry will deal this 165/232/300% to each enemy around it - This means, that you will also kill(or at least deal a lot of damage) to every Rare/Boss in the AoE!
And there is also some Bino's Poison spread Shenenigans for even more damage :P

No matter how bad your gear (Gem level/Jewels) is, this damage will never drop below 100% of enemies life.

8. My Gear

No, you dont need a legacy Coil/Aegis :P

Last edited by Yalani on Mar 18, 2016, 8:42:56 PM
Last bumped on Jun 7, 2016, 11:39:11 AM
Reminds me of a discharge build almost w/o the self killing aspect! Unfortunately I don't think this is very HC viable in it's current state. In the video you get pretty low often against fairly easy stuff.

That aside, I'm curious how this does against high level bosses? Pretty much all the damage would be coming from the drain attack and doesn't look like it's quite high enough? Could be wrong but would be curious.
IGN: SoulCinder
I think this is the closest we can get to the "BOO" barbarian build from diablo 2.
"
PerfectXtreme wrote:
Reminds me of a discharge build almost w/o the self killing aspect! Unfortunately I don't think this is very HC viable in it's current state. In the video you get pretty low often against fairly easy stuff.

That aside, I'm curious how this does against high level bosses? Pretty much all the damage would be coming from the drain attack and doesn't look like it's quite high enough? Could be wrong but would be curious.

Well, in an HC environment i would probably not yolo facetank every group.
I would also use some Granite Flask/Taste of Hate, actually use my Rumis more often and switch Vulnerability with Enfeeble.

This Build has Maxblock (with Rumis), decent amount of Armor + Lightning Coil and Aegis - it is kinda tanky actually :P

I have no idea if the DoT part of Essence Drain triggers Poison, but if its only the initial damage which does so, Essence Drain deals ~ 22k Damage per second. Wither and Vulnerability will increase this damage to ~50K DPS. If the DoT part also poisons, ED would deal ~100k.
Keep in mind, that this is still a Level 18 Gem and a 5 Link.

And since you only have to cast Essence drain every 4 seconds, you can just run around and dodge stuff all the time.
Last edited by Yalani on Dec 18, 2015, 6:39:56 AM
why no ppl post on it ?

its look like amazing build o0
it's a great build, is it playable by using witch?
"
1up1up1 wrote:
it's a great build, is it playable by using witch?

Starting as a Witch are too many wasted points, so i would not recommend it.
Last edited by Yalani on Dec 20, 2015, 12:53:09 PM
Bump for some clever interactions :)
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
i am gonna to try it in talisman ( whithout llegs :x ) i have test whith poison gem on abyssal cry and it work on my other life/es based chaos dmg character, but need to be more tanky ^^
When I saw this I had to test it out.

I had lot of fun exploding packs of mobs both solo and in parties.
I did it with phase Acrobatics, but took all the same chaos nodes as I didn't have the shield.

My gems were not max level so I could not test well:
But I was not able to feel a damage difference between the AC + consuming dark + Rapid Decay vs AC with poison support gem and eclipse solaris for blind or Bino for regen.

Thanks for posting, its given me some ideas for a couple melee builds im trying out with AC.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info