BLAMT Boss Kill Points

Hey friends,

With the conclusion of the BLAMT boss kill "race", I have a complaint. I don't think that events like the BLAMT boss kill should award race points, let alone the possibility of 200+. Do I think that GGG has the right idea by exploring cool event types? Sure. Do I think that one race should be able to get you 1/5th of the best reward of the race season? Probably not. I feel extremely punished for not being able to participate in an event.
SeoHyun (www.twitch.tv/Awkamess)
My racing guides for S11:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15DtU8a7ruzt_q7x51pS6lG4QOl_XxAmcdP6RU-61qUU

"Terrex is irrelevant." ~Lonestar420 2015
i actually think its absolutely fair to give that amount of points for such a difficult race. and tbh, i guess the racers that complete all objectives and get those 220 points would have reached 1000pts without this race anyways...

i spent like 12-14h in this race as classic bow ranger and managed to kill merveil. but coz it took me all night long (died the first time to brutus) i died at 11:00am, 1h before the race ended on my way to the vaal pyramid, just coz i had no patience anymore and was falling asleep after playing the whole night :)

but it gave me like 25pts and i was happy about that, not to mention the fun i had with such a challenge.

if you cant participate then its bad luck, can happen and you will always miss stuff again. ggg cant do it right for everyone and they'll never be able to.

but then again, reading your last sentence im not sure if this is real critics or if you just let off steam coz u could not participate :)
"
rushjo wrote:

but then again, reading your last sentence im not sure if this is real critics or if you just let off steam coz u could not participate :)

Well that's exactly the point. You're so far behind if you miss one race, and it makes getting some of the rewards trivial, to be honest.
SeoHyun (www.twitch.tv/Awkamess)
My racing guides for S11:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15DtU8a7ruzt_q7x51pS6lG4QOl_XxAmcdP6RU-61qUU

"Terrex is irrelevant." ~Lonestar420 2015
"
Awkamess wrote:
Well that's exactly the point. You're so far behind if you miss one race, and it makes getting some of the rewards trivial, to be honest.

Far behind what? Top 20 demis? That's the only possible complaint i see against the race's point structure. If you're a top player who would contend for spots 15-20, but you miss that BLAMT, you are pretty much out of the T20 Demi running.

Now, even if we pretend the BLAMT boss kill doesn't exist, it's already 2-3x easier than the past to accumulate season points (30% more races, points awarded for death, more points awarded for longer races, lower thresholds for level bracket points). So for the other 99.999% of racers not affected by the above demi issue, it's a pure bonus.

Even the complaint about trivializing rewards is incorrect i think. The race was far from trivial. Look at the example above, rushjo got all of 25 points for 13 hours, and he's surely above the average. Only 13 people got the full 220. On a per-character basis, this was likely the lowest character:point ratio of any race they've ever held. Even on a per-account-basis it's probably around 5 points (data truncated by pastebin, missing a bunch of Brutus kills), assuming 5000 accounts participated.

I'd played 22 BLAMT races in my life, so let's just say i was somewhat prepared for it. I died L42 to Kaom with < 1 hour to go in the race, somehow at position 36(?!) For most people this wasn't the windfall of points you think it was mate. :)

It would be fun to hear some stats from GGG, since boss kill races hides everything. I do have a "before and after" of the Top 500 season standings, i'll post the difference later.

Edit: Also, only 146 (1.5% increase) people were newly added to the ladder after this race (along with the Eternal Torment race that ended at the same time, which probably accounted for ~40 of them). So ~100 new people, most of which would have only gained 10/25/45 points for killing Brutus/Merveil/Vaal. And that's being a bit generous.

Edit2: GGG posted stats. Unfortunately no mention of the number of accounts participating. Given those numbers, i'd guess it was closer to 2000 than my 5000 guess. I.e. avg ~10 pts/account. point:character ratio: 1.2.

"
GGG wrote:
Number of Boss Kills in the 24hr BLAMT Race:
330 Players Killed Brutus in Normal Difficulty (3330 pts)
296 Players Killed Merveil in Normal Difficulty (4440 pts)
185 Players Killed Vaal Oversoul in Normal Difficulty (3700 pts)
100 Players Killed Piety in Normal Difficulty (2500 pts)
87 Players Killed Dominus in Normal Difficulty (2610 pts)
33 Players Killed Kaom in Normal Difficulty (1155 pts)
31 Players Killed Daresso in Normal Difficulty (1085 pts)
13 Players Killed Malachai in Normal Difficulty (650 pts)

That's 330 people who killed a single boss in the 24 hour BLAMT event.

Number of player deaths in this event.

SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Last edited by unsane on Nov 17, 2015, 3:54:39 AM
"
Awkamess wrote:
If you're a top player who would contend for spots 15-20, but you miss that BLAMT, you are pretty much out of the T20 Demi running.

i think i was rank #6 overall before blamt, after the event because i didnt participate i think i dropped to 23 overall. maybe top 20 still possible, i just have to swim through the salt factory in my apartment to get to it.

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Nov 17, 2015, 10:30:59 AM
"
HeaT1 wrote:
"
unsane wrote:
If you're a top player who would contend for spots 15-20, but you miss that BLAMT, you are pretty much out of the T20 Demi running.
i think i was rank #6 overall before blamt, after the event because i didnt participate i think i dropped to 23 overall. maybe top 20 still possible
Yeah, i checked the current top 30, and i think i was probably incorrect even about my statement above. The top 10 or so mostly got big points ~170 per. 11-20th lots of ppl got like 25-45 points, which isn't much to worry about. 2 players got 0 (you included). 21st-30th has a few 100+ guys, lots of very low points, a couple non-participants. ~2 ppl hiding their profile per 10.

Looks like in the grand scheme of things this race's points had very little effect.
"
unsane wrote:
"
HeaT1 wrote:
"
unsane wrote:
i think i was rank #6 overall before blamt, after the event because i didnt participate i think i dropped to 23 overall. maybe top 20 still possible
Yeah, i checked the current top 30, and i think i was probably incorrect even about my statement above. The top 10 or so mostly got big points ~170 per. 11-20th lots of ppl got like 25-45 points, which isn't much to worry about. 2 players got 0 (you included). 21st-30th has a few 100+ guys, lots of very low points, a couple non-participants. ~2 ppl hiding their profile per 10.

Looks like in the grand scheme of things this race's points had very little effect.

Except Helman went from 57 to 5.

They fucked up, they thought no one would be able to do it, so they awarded lduicrous points.

In the past as I've talked on stream with Helman about he said, "yea but it sucked when there was 1 week races, and those gave points"

And those points were roughly

1. 100
2. 80
3. 70

etc.

So the overall affect on the ladder was low, but in this race everyone could get the points. It should have been 100-150 points for being top, not 235.

Edit: Also to clarify, this is the EXACT reason that 3 hour races gave the same number of points as 1 hour races so that "you didnt feel obligated to do a race".

This race sure felt mandatory. I enjoyed it, and I wanted to do it, but things came up since it was a Saturday and I couldn't sit down for 6 hours and do the race like I wanted to, not to mention all the other races that were going on. If this had had a block of time like the Malachai kill race does, I think that would have worked out as well.

All signs point to this not being fully thought out start to finish.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
Last edited by Morsexier on Nov 19, 2015, 12:58:24 AM
"
Morsexier wrote:
Edit: Also to clarify, this is the EXACT reason that 3 hour races gave the same number of points as 1 hour races so that "you didnt feel obligated to do a race".

Perhaps, but this season changed that, they now award more points for longer races, so that people feel rewarded for larger investments of time. I guess either style has an issue.

"
Morsexier wrote:
not to mention all the other races that were going on. If this had had a block of time like the Malachai kill race does, I think that would have worked out as well.

Yeah i always hate having to choose between a 24hr/week/month race and short races that overlap. :/ I end up doing the short ones at the expense of the long one, but it doesn't feel good.
"
unsane wrote:
they now award more points for longer races, so that people feel rewarded for larger investments of time.

26 (3 hours) vs 17 (30 min).

Granted they finally gave more, but its not 3x let alone 2 times.

1.5 x the amount of points for 6x time spent :D.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
"
Morsexier wrote:
"
unsane wrote:
they now award more points for longer races, so that people feel rewarded for larger investments of time.

26 (3 hours) vs 17 (30 min).

Granted they finally gave more, but its not 3x let alone 2 times.

1.5 x the amount of points for 6x time spent :D.

ya i still feel points are off, i think in the 3 hour party race i was #1 shadow 2 hours in, if i had not ripped i would have received 26 points in 3 hours. but i can get 18-20 points for 30 min events with similar results.

also, kyu shot up something like 50 spots into the top 10 as well just like helman.

if you take racing seriously and care about your rank, this was probably the most important race of the season so it really did feel mandatory.

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info