[2.0] zSavage's Cold Snap Permafreezer! - (Romira's + RT + MoM)

Introduction:
This character was my 3rd character in the Warbands League, made to reach the 3 x 82 challenge. My previous character had gotten several nice unique drops, so I combined those to make this character.

This Witch uses the skill Cold Snap, with two instances of the skill (one for single target and one for AoE). In order to be able to spam the skill, there's a specific combination of a unique item and a tree keystone that must be used.

In spite of the relatively recent changes to status condition mechanics, this character is still able to freeze lock most content. A4 unique boss mobs (and their map derivatives) are much more difficult to lock down, but are easy to chill and freeze consistently with proper play.

Core and Recommended Uniques

Required:

You need Romira's to generate power charges when you don't crit (which is all the time, see passive tree and explanation). This allows us to bypass the cooldown on Cold Snap and thus spam it to our heart's content.

Recommended:

I recommend Taryn's Shiver until you can get a better 5L or 6L casting staff (probably a rare or PoH). It's pretty common and rather cheap. The +1 gems, freeze chance, and extra damage to frozen, combined with its other stats, is pretty good.

Rime Gaze is recommended until you can get a 5L or 6L chest. It is a free 5L essentially for our single target setup, and the 30% cold damage doesn't hurt.

Skill Tree, lvl 83
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAAv4EBwSzCPQRDxEtFm8WvxdUGjgabCBuIoEi9CSqJpUsnDbpPAU8LT1fQYdEq0WdRtdMLUyzUDBQQlJTUzVTUlPUVUtVrlXGVkpXKVcrWfNewF8qYeJmnmjyakNsC20ZcYVyD3KpfEt8g3zZghCCm4PMg9uFMohajDaNgo48j6aQVZMnlnSXlZf0mjua4J2unqGfAZ_fogCnCKyqtz69gsBUwGbE9sau0eTVpti92t3bXt-E34rfsONq5CLpAuvk6-7tPO988B_3Mvno-tL-Cv6z?accountName=zSavage&characterName=BlightQueenOfPoetry

Keystones:
Resolute Technique: Needed to guarantee getting power charges from Romira's to spam cold snap. Pretty cool synergy here.
Mind Over Matter: Adds a tankiness factor combined with high mana regen and solid pool.
Jewels: None (currently)
If I did use jewels on this build, I would likely go for Anatomical Knowledge (which would change the tree a little), and then rare jewels with life, cold/area damage, mana/mana reg, cast speed

Skill Setup

Cold Snap 1 (AoE):(5L) Cold Snap + Spell Echo + Hypothermia + Elemental Proliferation + Increased AoE
-> Spell Echo and Hypothermia synergize well with cold snap. The first hit will likely freeze or chill, and then the second hit has more damage and freeze chance (as frozen enemies are always chilled as well). Prolif works very well here, and Inc AoE affects both prolif radius and cold snap radius. This skill often kills entire white packs with one push of the button.
Cold Snap 2 (Single):(5L) Cold Snap + Spell Echo + Hypothermia + Cold Pen + Conc Effect
-> Uses same synergy as the above, and then Conc and Cold Pen for further increases to damage. Very good at clearly high HP targets.
Note: Both setups will share the same cooldown. For 6L's I would add Cold Pen on the AoE setup and Added Cold on single target.
Utility: Frostbite + Chaos Golem + Flame Dash + Faster Casting
Movement, curse, and defensive golem.
Auras: Clarity, Herald of Ice, and Arctic Armor.
Herald of Ice obviously synergizes with our main skill. Arctic Armor provides defense and chill synergy with the Hypothermia supports.
Cast When Damage Taken: Arctic Breath + GMP + Increased Duration + CWDT
Increased duration increases how long the chilled ground lasts. Synergy with Hypothermia. Chills the foes for more damage and defense.

My Gear

I desperately needed dex on my Ammy. Having dex on gear is very good for this character.

Bandits, charges

Normal: Oak (+40 life)
Cruel: Kill All (passive)
Merciless: Kill, Alira, or Oak*

Charges:
Power MAX 4*
Endurance MAX 3*
Frenzy MAX 3*

*see upgrading the build under FAQ

FAQ

Remind me again how you spam cold snap.
Romira's generates power charges (1 per skill use) when we don't crit, and we use resolute technique to ensure that doesn't happen. Thus we get a power charge every time we hit with Cold Snap, allowing us to bypass the cooldown.
How do I level this character? Romira's requires level 60.
Level as a cold caster, and head towards RT and the templar area. Once you hit 60, you can take RT and equip Romira's, then focus on cold snap as a main skill. The other budget uniques become equipable in the mid 60's. This means you can cold snap on cruel malachai and then equip the others typically mid A2M.
I have a lot of $$ and/or some good old gear. How can I make the build more powerful?
6L's/2x 5L will make the build very strong, and tankier. Make sure you have a fair amount of mana reg on gear, as the costs will likely be 100+ on each skill.
If you have a Voll's Devotion, this can make the build extremely tanky. If I used one on this char, I would modify my CWDT to include an Immortal Call (probably remove GMP), and take an extra endurance charge from the tree and one from Oak for a total of 5. Thus we generate and endurance charge every time we bypass Cold Snap's Cooldown.
You can add additional power charges for 4% spell damage per charge.
You can potentially add Ice Bite to your Herald of Ice to generate Frenzy charges when it kills things. If doing this you could consider an additional frenzy charge.
If you're doing all of the above charge mechanics, consider CWDT Discharge for burst when hit.
How do my defenses work?
Mind Over Matter takes fair chunks of damage.
Frozen enemies can't hurt you. Chilled enemies can do very little to you.
Small -> medium hits are taken on the ES, which will often recharge before you're hit again (since the enemies get frozen).
Proper flask use is your friend.
How does this character do in PVP?
This character can own a lot of others in PVP. Players that don't carry curse immune flasks or only carry instant remove freeze or no freeze immune at all are especially vulnerable. With proper play, I've killed lvl 95+ (even a few 100's) characters with this character by freeze locking them. This build can be frustrating to play against, and I've made a fair number of people rage quit over it. One RF Incinerator said my character was harder to kill than Atziri.

Stats

Life: 4112
ES: 800
Mana: 1669 (583 unreserved)
Life/s: 115.1
Mana/s: 116.5

Evasion: 1150 (18%)
Armor: 221 (6%) + 4% Golem
Res: All @ 75, with slight over cap. Chaos: -40
Block: 18%

Cold Snap Stats
Single: 4164 avg @ 0.37 s/cast = 11,254 DPS
->Adjusted for Cold Pen and Frostbite vs 0% base res (x 1.82) = 20,482 DPS
- (Unadjusted for Hypothermia; DPS is higher than this)
Mana cost: 74
Freeze Chance: 58% (71% frostbite), 81% vs frozen (hypo + frostbite)
+70% Freeze Duration, +140% Chill Duration

AoE: 2416 avg @ 0.37 s/cast = 6,529.7 DPS
->Adjusted for Cold Pen and Frostbite vs 0% base res (x 1.47) = 9,598.7
- (Unadjusted for Hypothermia; DPS is higher than this)
Mana Cost: 77
+70% Freeze Duration, +140% Chill Duration
Freeze Chance: 58% (71% frostbite), 81% vs frozen (hypo + frostbite)

BiS Gear

My opinion on BiS stuff:
Weapon slot:
+3 Cold, spell damage, cast speed
Chest:
Lightning Coil (need BBBGGG or BBBBGG)
Amulet:
Voll's Devotion (ideal corrupted +1 curse)
Rest of Gear:
Rings - Life, mana regen, res (likely one with +dex), es if possible
Belt - Life, res, es/str if possible
Gloves/Boots/Helm - Rares with life, res. Other useful stats Dex, movespeed. As for base stats look for ES, AR/ES, or EV/ES. Atziri Helm also possibly very good.

Please leave any thoughts or questions you may have, and if you like the build, let me know!
IGN: BlightQueenOfPoetry
(cause you appreciate poetry by snapping your fingers, and she snaps all the time)

-Savage
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Nov 5, 2015, 1:37:58 PM

Interesting build.

If you were to update your gear, what would you use?

You mentioned a PoH, what else?

Thanks..

The biggest upgrade from my standpoint would be a 5L or 6L chest with BBBGG(G) as the links. This allows us to replace Rime Gaze with a good rare helmet.

Ideal target if using a unique chest is Carcass Jack. It can roll the required colors easily and buffs damage and area of effect. You could also use a Cloak of Defiance (legacy or non leg) for more mana stats and saving a point on the skill tree (despec MoM).

A Belly of the Beast or Lightning Coil with the right colors (hard to roll) would also be very strong.

Then there's Voll's Devotion. The build would get really really tanky if one of those were used. Of course, most people with Voll's want to use them for Mjolner or CoC discharge, so it's pretty spendy and not a core requirement.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Similar principals to my cold snap build. (currently lvl 73)

I have some work to do on mine as I'm really bad at finishing builds off...

But for now I'm using a 5% mana when hit romira's, along with a mindspiral to offset the MoM. So my large aoe skill is only 4L (need to get the colours on my 6L PoH sorted).

For now I'm using two wands with x-x damage on them to give a "more" multiplier. Lightning coil for defense, so lightning coil + MoM is huge mitigation, along with chilled and frozen enemies.

Have a 4L CWDT with another cold snap in it and ele prolif which actually works really well.

Then in my 5L chest I have single target which wrecks bosses.

Saffels is for reflect maps or hard ele damage fights, and can swap arctic armour for cold res for reflect. Also shields can get mana when hit too so that offsets MoM even more.

Spoiler

passives
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUABAcEswj0C2ENzRZvGjgczh0UIuIkqicvKk0rUDWSNuk6WDwFPC09Xz8nQ8hFnUfiSshMs08EUlNTUlXGWfNboGZUZp5o8mpDbRluqnGFcg9yqXasfA582X31gpuDX4PMg9uFMo9GkFWUb5eVl_SaO5rgm6Gf36IApDmnCKdVrJisqq2Nr2yvp7FCtfK3PrzqwFTAZsT2xq7PftAf1abYvdrd42rqGOvu7TzvfO_r8B_zEfcy99f53frS_gr-VA==?accountName=Guioki&characterName=c_SNAP

Highest map I've done so far is a plateau but my biggest problem is low level gems (only just got lvl 19 cold snap) and my jewels dont have freeze chance on them yet. Will probably run the map with wand and shield using aoe then weapon swap to PoH for bosses and harder fights.
Last edited by Guioki on Nov 4, 2015, 12:52:02 AM
Nice build , i will try it for pvp, what 6L staff do you recommend? i think im going to use a 6L shavronne's wrappings for chest armour, what do you think?
For a 6L staff I would recommend (in order of preference):
+3 cold, spell damage, cast speed rare
6L Pledge of Hands (7L)
6L Taryn's

As for your chest, Shav's will let you run extra auras if low life. For PvP, this often doesn't make much sense as a lot of players will rush you faster than you can cast 4+ buffs.

I would recommend either Carcass Jack, Lightning Coil, Cloak of Defiance, or Belly of the Beast for a chest, both for PvE and PvP.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
With a 6 link PoH you drop the spell echo gem, what skill gems would you run in such a staff then?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1397959

I ran this build for a while, quite good too. I like freezing mobs and boss's. :)

Last edited by Rayzabladez on Nov 7, 2015, 4:18:24 AM
"
Rayzabladez wrote:
With a 6 link PoH you drop the spell echo gem, what skill gems would you run in such a staff then?

If putting the single target in the PoH: Cold Snap + Hypothermia + Conc + Cold Pen + Added Cold + Empower + (Spell Echo from staff).

Colors: BBGGGR

Empower adds additional gem levels which is huge for damage.
Make sure your mana regen is good. That skill will easily cost over 100 mana per use (the extra mana from PoH helps).

I don't think you'd put the AoE in it, but if you did: Cold Snap + Hypothermia + Prolif + Inc AoE + Cold Pen + Added Cold + (Spell Echo from staff).

Colors: BBBGGG
twitch.tv/savagewolves

I've been trying your build out...

So far, no problems. No way to get the correct colours on a PoH, it's a bitch to get the mix we need, so i'm using a Taryn's.

Lots of fun, there is nothing more satisfying for me than freezing everything solid. The birds on the aqueduct hang in the air, frozen and silvery-blue, heheheh, it's terrific.

{ I run the aqueduct for Tabula rasa cards }

Anyways, a lot of fun, and i'm enjoying myself.

I'll try it on some harder maps and boss kills soon.

Thanks mate.

Glad you're enjoying it! Looking forward to seeing how it works for you!
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns as you get into higher maps.
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info