What if EA's and LA's interaction with pierce and frostwall were changed?

Since due to how EA and LA works with pierce and frostwall I figured it might be worth testing the same usings the spells Fireball and Arctic breath(as they both have a 2ndary effect that triggers when it hits an obstacle/ends of its duration). So I took one of my casters and put fireball/arctic breath with pierce gem and grabbed a frostwall. Then I tried this with Lapiz to see if you could do a build that'd benefit if the enemy spammed their frostwalls but it turns out, it's not.

Fireball/Arctic breath does not trigger its 2ndary damage each time its hit an obstacle but it only goes through and does aoe damage at either the end of its duration or when it doesnt pierce through an obstacle which made it pretty bad to use vs frostwall(which is like, todays meta..). It still did damage if you actually hit a person with it without the piercing, but it wasn't what we had expected.

What if EA and LA was changed to work the same was as these spells? AKA they only trigger once and not twice or thrice. It'd still deal good damage and they could still use their cwdt frostwall/frostwall totem to annoy and push others away as a defense, without actually gaining a massive dps boost
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
Last edited by Tommie_Sjukskriven on Oct 21, 2015, 8:34:37 AM
Anything involving reconding the skills or any part of the game for the sake of pvp will never happen. All you can expect is value changes.

Give up the fight Tommie, it's not worth it.
Last edited by IceDeal on Oct 21, 2015, 9:30:37 AM
It seems like aoe overlap is still the problem not so much that a skills secondary effects are going off when they pierce frost wall.

If 1 single arrow from LA or EA pierces frostwall and explodes the damage is certainly manageable. However if 3-5 arrows from either skill pierce and explode you take aoe damage from most of the projectiles which is what kills people, same as standing against a wall LA can shotgun similar to EA.

Anything that makes an aoe on impact be it spell or attack should only be able to deal aoe damage of 1 spell or attack to a single target at any time. This change would be great for PvP and PvE. There were quite a few people complaining about Malachai's aoe attacks that could shotgun right after GGG said they removed shotgunning from the game.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
"
Dethklok wrote:

Anything that makes an aoe on impact be it spell or attack should only be able to deal aoe damage of 1 spell or attack to a single target at any time.

That would make aoe projectile skills like fireball straight horrible for PvE, don't see that happening.
What need to go is secondary damages, the overlap wouldn't be that bad if you could dodge/block some but as i said, investing ressources in the game for pvp is out of questions for GGG.
"
IceDeal wrote:
"
Dethklok wrote:

Anything that makes an aoe on impact be it spell or attack should only be able to deal aoe damage of 1 spell or attack to a single target at any time.

That would make aoe projectile skills like fireball straight horrible for PvE, don't see that happening.
What need to go is secondary damages, the overlap wouldn't be that bad if you could dodge/block some but as i said, investing ressources in the game for pvp is out of questions for GGG.

Obviously the skills would need a damage buff to compensate for the loss of the aoe overlap. GGG did this with spells like Freeze Pulse with the 2.0 release. Aoe overlap has no place in this game it simply makes GMP/LMP a more damage multiplier.

Your suggesting a change for PvP only which isnt likely to happen where as a change thats better for the entire game and just so happens to make PvP better is a more realistic option.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
"

Don't listen to this guy Tommie..
Never give up! Never surrender!
"
Monstacookie wrote:
"

Don't listen to this guy Tommie..
Never give up! Never surrender!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
"
What if EA and LA [...] only trigger once and not twice or thrice.

I don't get it. Are you saying that EA leave fuse each time it pierce something?

Since 2.0 FW is the bunch of 'units', EA can stuck in them or 'disappear' depending on projectile angle or some kind of weird fw bug. And that's it. There is no 'magic OP interaction' between fw, ea and pierce.

For sure any 'shotgun' mechanic should be removed if ggg want to keep using current pvp penalty formula.
"
EFBBBF wrote:
"
What if EA and LA [...] only trigger once and not twice or thrice.

I don't get it. Are you saying that EA leave fuse each time it pierce something?

Since 2.0 FW is the bunch of 'units', EA can stuck in them or 'disappear' depending on projectile angle or some kind of weird fw bug. And that's it. There is no 'magic OP interaction' between fw, ea and pierce.

For sure any 'shotgun' mechanic should be removed if ggg want to keep using current pvp penalty formula.

Have you tested this yourself or just basing it on theory? Same with LA obviously. It shotguns and does way higher damage than it would do without the pierce
what happens with LA is just AoE overlap. Like Kinetic Blast's explosions or Firestorm's Fireballs, the explosions of LA overlap too. But this happens when they hit a wall, imagine you have 3 balloons with full of water and you throw them to a wall. They would explode on the wall and the water inside those balloons, their explosion would overlap. This is what happens with LA.

I dont think its intended design of LA, but since it is ''aoe'' gem, for sure, the damage overlaps when it hits to a wall.

Its not a design flaw, its what physics is about. If they want to fix that, they gotta change LA to non AoE. Its true that when LA hits a wall the projectiles chains to another target. If LA's ''shotgun'' efficiency has anything to do with that, we should talk about that actually. I believe LA tries to pierce the wall, and explodes there. Thats a bit nonsense.

Lightning Arrow's aoe overlaps without Pierce too. But with pierce, the arrows explode behind the frost wall so you can get better 'aoe overlap' effect.

"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on Oct 22, 2015, 4:41:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info