[2.0] The Infernotrapper

--------------------------------------------The Infernotrapper--------------------------------------------

Introduction

This Build should explain my basic concept of a Trapper using Firestorm and Firetrap as key skills. This Post is somewhat specific in some area's but also a basic idea that can be develloped further by using certain uniques or even other skills.

This Build has been created in the Warbands league should be suitable for future templeagues. I dont know about hardcore allthough i am thinking it could be hardcore viable (with adjustments to the skilltree etc.)

Pro's and Con's

Pro's

• Very flexible
  • No uniques required to get this build going
  • Lots of choices regarding support skills and Auras
  • Lots of choices regarding unique items and late game specilization
  • It is fun to play
  • Crazy Amounts of Fire on your Screen!
  • No Problems with Reflec or Corrupting Blood
  • Effective against Bosses
  • Less Problems with strongboxes (didnt die to a single one)
  • Possible to play selffound
  • You can start using your key skills from very early on and get used to using them

Con's

• Bosses or Rares with movementskills like flicker striker or Leapslam are kind of annoying and will take longer to kill
  • Clearspeed isnt bad but not like some of the standard Arc- / Tornadoshot- / etc. builds
  • You might suffer from Desorientation due to Fiery rain - burning monsters or ground
  • I dont know about how this Build is working out in parties

What is required?

The knowledge of how to move and kite (Can be gained while lvling with the keyskills in my opinon). The Jewels are easy to obtain through trading or quest rewards and are not mandatory.

Skill Tree and Class Discussion

Class_Discussion

I originally started by playing Shadow with a skilltree looking like this at Lvl 80.

I found it very playable but i only had about 4k life WITH the unique Belly of the Beast Armour. Also i had the feeling i am spending to many skillpoints in areas that arent key to the build. Especially, as you can see in the skilltree, the ES wheel north of the Scion starting point is a bad but nescessary route to get to the important life and regen nodes. I am loosing 6 Skillpoints this way for nothing i really need.
Also the starting area of the shadow is problematic. While it provides heavy elemental damage boni and a trapper specific notable quite close, you need to invest a lot of skillpoints you could use to get to the trappernodes southeast of the skilltree.
As i need the regennodes left to the scion starting area and the spelldamagenodes to the right also apply to the trapdmg of firestorm and firetrap i thought it would be best to start with a scion. This opens up and easy jewel slot as well.

Skill_Tree_Discussion

At Lvl 80 we get from the skill Tree:

Defense
  • 147% maximum Life
  • 8,2% Regen per second
  • 60 to maximum Life
  • 40% to dodge Attacks
  • 30% to dodge Spells
  • 30% to avoid Stuns
  • 50% increased Armour

• Offense
    • 142% damagebonus (Spelldmg + Trapdmg)

This will allow you to be able to reach 5k Life or more depending on your gear choices while still gaining heavy damageboni to your trapdamage.

Specific Skills

Heart of the Oak

I really thought a lot about if I should take it or get quick recovery instead (northwest of scion starting). On the way you pick up a lot of useless Dexnodes and "Ballisitc Mastery" which is completely worthless for me.
    In the end i decided it is worth it to maintain high mobility while kiting (stun avoidance) while getting more Liferegen + Life.
    To get more out of this decision i used a jewel to convert the dex to Int (explained in: "Jewels")

Potency of Will

This is in my oppinion a key passive for this build. Fiery rain for 3 seconds and fiery ground for 11,5 seconds is awesome and helps you to keep up your dps while your traps recharge

Clever Construction

This is just a must have in my oppinion also the trapthrowing speed nodes are needed to achieve higher mobility.

Master Sapper

We need the additional traps (2) and the increase in triggerradius is important because once triggered most of your screen is covered in Firestormspells.

Acrobatics

This is in addition absolutely nescessary to maintain mobility and survivability

Unrelenting

While providing a good amount of health we need to cut down on the manacost of those traps. 20% Life for 5 Skillpoints + the 15% manacost decrease.

• [spoiler=Jewels]

I would highly suggest to use the Fertile Mind Jewel. We are getting a lot of dex we dont really need. We only need 100 Dex to be able to use Lvl 20 trap / multiple traps / Firetrap / Arctic Armour. With using that jewel we will get that number exactly not taking into account other gearboni. This jewell will convert 90 Dex into Int so we will get 100+ Int in total. That is nice for our manapool and opens options if you want to use ES Armour. Put the jewel at that spot:

It is absolutely not required tho!

Also i would use the Survival Secret Jewel till you have enough mana regen to drop it

Otherwise i would use Assasin's Haste for an increase in Mobility[/b]. [/spoiler]

[hr]

Bandit's

I chose Oak, Skillpoint, Skillpoint. You might want to get the fourth Endurance charge when using Enduring Cry.

[hr]

Skills and Links

[spoiler=Keyskills]

In case you decide you use one or two 5l grearpieces I would advise to have the increased area of effect and concentrated effect gem ready in your inventory to swap out (Dmg bonus is huge).

Firestorm +
    • Multiple Traps
    • Trap
    • Firepenetration
    • Increased AOE / Concentrated Effect

You can use the first 3 gems from the beginning in a 3 link just fine. You can add some dmg increase if you get a 4l and get firepenetration in higher levels. The increased Area / Conentrated effect gem should be used as soon as you get a 5l.

Firetrap +
    • Multiple Traps
    • Increased Burning Damage
    • Fire Penetration
    • Increased AOE / Concentrated Effect

A 4l is sufficient here. If you are not using a staff you wont be using Conentrated effect or increased AOE.

Phase Run +
    • CWDT
    • Increased Duration

In my oppinion super effective and important in that build. As we are not casting skills like crazy we wont override the phase run effect constantly. Especially in tight situations we can run right through monsters and get that extra movespeed. Therefor a Keyskill in my oppnion for this build.
    You can have it in a 3l (dagger or shield) or in a 4l with sth linked that can use the increased duration as well and wont be triggered by cwdt.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Aura's]

Clarity

We need the regen badly. Mine is around Lvl 8.

Arctic Armour

Allthough plenty of people dont like it i think it fits well to the playstyle. Also the Duration of the chilled ground is affeted by the Skill duration Passives.

Vitality

Steep reservation cost but enables you to have 10% Regen+ on your char.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Other's]

Flammability

Curse of choice. You can swap for something more defensive if you like ofc.

Chaos Golem +

• Fortify
    • Increased Minion Life
    • Increased Minion Elemental Resistances

Enduring Cry / Molten Shell / Abyssal Cry

I you have a space left you can use Enduring Cry or Abyssal Cry. For example if you have a 6s staff that is only 5l.
    If you use Molten Shell, which you can get up to lvl 20 and that is affected by the Firedmg passives and duration passives, link it with increased duration to get next to 20 seconds duration.

Vaal Lightning Trap / Grace / Haste

This would be my prefered Vaalgem's but the Dex one's need so much dex you wont get it past lvl 10.[/spoiler]

[hr]

Gear

You have a lot of freedom when it comes to gearchoices. Generally you will need to burn some chromes because the combinations arent too common. First choice is ofc if you want to go for a staff or dual wield or a shield.

For Example if you want to use rare Dual wield Daggers:

[spoiler=Dualwield-Critter]Allthough we dont have any crit nodes allocated we can get a pretty decent Critrate with dual daggers. About 25%.
    [/spoiler]
    Some unique Item options to enhance or specialize your build:

[spoiler=Unique_Items]

you can try to get some Chaos conversion with

• Infernal Mantle Widowsilk Robe
    • The Consuming Dark Fiend Dagger

Increase your Burning damage

• Pyre Sapphire Ring
    • The Searing Touch Lathi

Increase you Tankiness

• Belly of the Beast
    • Shaper's Seed Agate Amulet
    • Hyrri's Ire Zodiac Leather

Increase your Trapdmg

• Sunblast Cloth Belt
    • Deerstalker Deerskin Boots
    • Carcass Jack Varnished Coat
    • Jaw's of Agony Supreme Kite Shield

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=My_Gear]
    It's not that great. Sure costy uniques but it is lacking a lot of max life.

[/spoiler]

[hr]

Mapbosses defeated

• Temple at lvl 71
    • Bog at lvl 71
    • Museum boss at lvl 73
    • Torture Chamber at lvl 73
    • Dark Woods at lvl 74
    • Quarry at lvl 74
    • Canyon at Lvl 75
    • Orchard at lvl 76
    • Gorge at lvl 77
    • Phantasmorgia at lvl 80
    • Jungel Valley at lvl 80
    • Terrace Lvl at 80
    • The Aphex sacrifice - i tried it for the first time on this build at lvl 80 and 4k HP and without any knowledge of whats coming. I went out on portals at the last one of the trio. I guess there is potential tho.

[hr]
    Last words

This is my first Guide and my fourth Character created. This guide may not be very profound in your eyes or even has serious mistakes i am not aware of. Im glad for every feedback or critisizm. Also if there are plenty grammarmistakes please be tolerant as english is not my first language.

Enjoy!
  • Last edited by Im2sl0w on Sep 19, 2015, 12:57:44 PM
    reserved
    Last edited by Im2sl0w on Sep 18, 2015, 2:00:06 PM
    Cool build, I've been leveling up a shock nova trap build and its been fun, but i recently found
    which makes me want to try this one out.
    A fine build, wanna try out but I have a question about the skill tree that confuses me a lil bit.

For level 85, the skill tree of poebuilder.com says that '129/123 points -6 left' while the official skill tree of pathofexile.com says '16 points left'. And it is the same passive skill tree. Am I missing something? I mean why is there such difference between these two?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info