[2.0] HeaT's Tempest IR SWEEPocalypse Build Guide - Sweepin' like a boss

HeaT’s Tempest IR Sweepocalypse Build

The aim for this build was to create a well-rounded melee character with strong defenses and DPS. The build utilizes a lot of mitigation, endurance charges, fortify, arctic armor, high armor to attain a “safe” feeling level of tanky while still having a strong DPS output. The build was constructed from the ground up as a hardcore build, so modifications for higher DPS should be made if you plan to run it non-hardcore. (This guide is meant to be used in tandem with the video guide I have posted in the "Videos" section)

Pros and Cons
Pros

+Nice DPS for non-crit: 42,479
+Plays fast and twitchy
+Nice survivability, fortify + high base armor (w/o granite 15,010) (w/ granite 28,502)
+Plays well in party and solo play
+Not gear intensive, no expensive build enabling uniques
+Straight forward melee character, no overly complex mechanics behind the build

Cons

-DPS is largely dependent on purchasing a good weapon, minimum 2-3 ex non-linked
-Does not get extra defenses from a shield?
-Good jewels are expensive and perfect jewels are REALLY expensive
-Health could be higher, current = 5,887
-Requires manual “dodging” of damage using leap slam

Videos

Build Guide Video
A video build guide with commentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPG-cnltBI

Build Teaser Trailer Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIB9Hovvus

RIP @lvl 92 video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLYmApTPINo

Keystone Passive Decision Explained

Resolute Technique:
I thought it would streamline the build and lower item requirements if I went non-crit. Resolute Technique is a strong choice for non-crit melee if you are on that side of the tree.

Gear Explained

In general you want a lot of armor, life, and resistances on your gear.

Helm:

Devoto’s Devotion is nice because it provides 1,000+ armor (because we have IR), MS, lot of dex (which is needed to run gems like faster attacks, arctic armor), considerable amount of attack speed, and chaos res. Its drawback of 10% reduced physical damage is offset by the fact that it provides high attack speed. This helm is entirely optional, if you do not want to use it look for stats like high armor, life, and resistances on an alternative helm.

Belts:

A Rustic Sash with high life and resistances is ideal. Strength is a nice bonus because it double dips on DPS and life. Alternatively, I would use a belt if it had similar stats but was corrupted for implicit +1 to endurance charges.

Chest:

High armor, life, and resistances is ideal. I was to acquire a 6L Astral Plate from turning The Celestial Justicar divination card set. Found 2, bought 4 (1ex each), spent 10 chaos, 2 scour 2 alchs rolling it.

Gloves:

Gloves are tricky because you can get defensive and offensive stats. I tried to get both and the intelligence master craft was needed for Arctic Armor and Herald of Ash. Amor isn’t monumentally important on gloves, I would rather have DPS than negligible armor.

Boots:

Good rolls on life, resistances, and armor are ideal. Movement speed on boots are not that important because leap slam is used for fast traversal and because I have movespeed on Devoto’s Devotion. If you are not going to rock Devoto’s and still feel like you will need MS on boots because you don’t want to entirely rely on leap slam for movement, this slot will become considerably more expensive.

Weapon:

I initially started this build using a two handed axe but axes are considerably more expensive than maces (probably because of the cyclone hype train) so I switched to a mace and did some respecing on the tree. This 460 DPS mace cost me 2ex. Prior to this mace I did A LOT of leveling with a 340 dps mace I bought for 10 chaos. The higher the DPS the better.

Rings and Amulets:

High life, resistances, and flat physical damage is what I aimed for.

Amulet

Life, resistances, flat physical, dex (to run gems). Looking back this is far from optimal and could have used a serious upgrade.

Gems and Links

Note: I used blood magic gems on all my skills as a tradeoff to be able to run 3 auras, Grace, Herald of Ash, and Arctic Armor. I ran all skills off mana until I was able to acquire a 5L for my sweep at which point I used blood magic gems. During the transition to blood magic gems you will be limited to 2 auras, it’s entirely preference which two you want to run. A mana pot or preferably some mana leech will be needed while you are trying to transition.

(Chest) Sweep* – Faster Attacks – Melee Physical Damage* – Multistrike – Added Fire Damage – Blood Magic
Added Fire Damage was actually my 6th link, because without faster attacks it felt quite different in a way that I didn’t like. In a 4 link set up I used Sweep* – Faster Attacks – Melee Physical Damage* – Multistrike. This build still hits 20k + DPS in a 4L set up, and over 30k in a 5l.
*Designates that you should aim to max quality these particular gems.

(Helm) Increased Duration* – Blood Magic – Vaal Haste – Blood Rage
Blood rage is used to generate frenzy charges. Vaal Haste for bosses, blue packs, and general clear speed.

(Gloves) Leap Slam – Faster Attacks* – Fortify – Blood Magic
Leap Slam is used for movement and to proc Fortify. I didn’t want to sacrifice a DPS gem on my Sweep set-up to proc Fortify on my main attack.

(Boots) Blood Magic – Enduring Cry – Herald of Ash - Grace
Only Enduring Cry should be linked to Blood Magic.

Flasks

Some notes on Flasks:
It would be ideal to run a Taste of Hate flaks in this build, however they are INSANELY expensive in this league, so I chose to spend currency on other pieces of gear. Other than that, pretty standard stuff for flask set up.

Skill Tree and Bandits

http://tinyurl.com/ohqcoax

Oak
Oak
Kraityn

I went for more DPS with the extra Frenzy charge. If you want more defense obviously Oak is a good choice for the extra Endurance charge.

Jewels

Life
Any sort of damage relating to build (area damage, 2 handed damage, increased damage, melee, etc.)
Some sort of useful utility (chance to knockback, stun recovery, Life leech, stun duration, etc)

If I were to rank this build on a scale of 1 to 10, I would place it at 9. It really is an “everyman’s build”, extremely easy to use, low investment, and very powerful. It really doesn’t have many weaknesses that are notable and detrimental.

If you have any questions post them here or send me a message! Thanks for checking the build out!

Catch me on:
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Aug 30, 2015, 4:33:33 PM
Have you thought about using Pillar of the Caged God? What are your thoughts on it?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info