Core Malachai Spinner (28 Kills) [Temp/WBs][HC Viable]

I've been meaning to do a write up the builds I've used to down Malachai in the Core map on the temp leagues. I was only able to do tempest because of Lockstep, and I had to choose a time of day where Australians weren't on Netflix for the attempt to even be possible.

Malachai's Mechanics
Spoiler
Tentacle of Death
Spoiler

This move freezes you, that's why Alpha's Howl is important for the encounter as a melee. It also shocks you, that's why I have a Ruby of Grounding for my tempest attempt. 3-4 of this move's tick will kill me, so it's important to move out of it asap.

Slam
Spoiler

Pretty self explanatory. Avoid.

Pods + Ground Spores
Spoiler

Malachai throws damaging Pods at you. The number of Pods increase in amount depending on how many hearts you've destroyed. Multiple Pods can one shot you if you are not careful, especially when surrounded by mines or if the Creeping Agony is on you. After the Pods impact the ground, they leave a patch on the ground called Ground Spores. These deal physical damage over time as long as you stand in them.

Creeping Agony
Spoiler

I feel like this is applies an RF on you. You can mitigate a lot of the damage by popping a ruby and just running the heck away. PoF and high life regen helps against this skill.

Mines
Spoiler

Mines are manageable when they aren't stacked on top of one another. I normally just pop my ruby and run through them (sometimes can lead to death if he Pods you at the same time). Fire res mitigates this damage.

Fireballs?
Spoiler

These things are the least threatening in the encounter. They are telegraphed quite far in advance and can be mitigated with fire res.

Warbands
Spoiler
Gear
Spoiler

Stack high Armour. IMO a 500 pDPS axe is sufficient to down Mala. I've done the run with one, and also done it with the disfavour but with hatred turned off. It just takes a little longer and the more you are familiar with the mechanics, it isn't a dps race. I use Dire Peak for the guardians and swap into Alpha's Howl before I fight Mala.

Passive

Auras
Spoiler
Hatred + Herald of Ash + Arctic Armour for guardians
Hatred + Purity of Fire + Arctic Armour + enlighten lvl 2 in Alpha's Howl

You need Purity of Fire for Mala. Without it as a melee life is really difficult.

Tempest
Spoiler
Gear
Spoiler

My gear on Tempest is slightly worse than what I had on Warbands. My weapon is not as good but the 7L allows me to reach a comfortable damage threshold. As for my other gear, I just made sure I was overcapped for eleweakness and capped chaos res. In the end I almost had the same toon I did on warbands.

Passive

Auras
Spoiler
Hatred + Herald of Ash + Arctic Armour for Guardians
Determination + Purity of Fire + Arctic Armour + enlighten lvl 2 in Alpha's Howl
I chose to be safer than in warbands, therefore I run determination over hatred. In hindsight it probably saved me from ripping during my tempest attempt, but I'd have to re-evaluate whether or not it's really needed.

Stats
Warbands
Spoiler
Offence

Defence

Tempest
Spoiler
Offence

Defence

Videos

Why Alpha's Howl?
Anti Freeze, allows me to run the malachai aura set up, and tons of evasion for IR.

Why Atziri's Promise?
You could very well use Taste of Hate, but I didn't want to rip with it on tempest so I emulated my warbands toon. The choice of ToH vs Promise is not about mitigation, its about the damage boost + HP sustainability whilst dpsing down Piety in P1 or the hearts in p2. I found that I didn't need ToH after my first few attempts on Warbands and just stuck with a Promise.

Why didn't you just play axes like you did in Warbands?
I just wanted to try maces. In all honestly axes are much better, since you have onslaught up for over half the fight because of the worms in p1 and other adds in p2. I just felt like doing something different.
Last edited by Ranggarn on Aug 13, 2015, 5:40:22 AM
Budiful, thanks for the post man! :)
Thank you! Great skill and guide!
Oak, kill all, Oak?
The Lab, making a great game good since 2016.
What do you think about lightning coil ?
Impressive display of movement and gameplay. What's the current status on your Tempest character? The gear is unverified, so did Malachai finally dps you down?
The chance to Vaal +1% maximum resists on an amulet is less than 1/300.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info