Dual Strike

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.4 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on Dec 20, 2023, 12:49:30 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
From previous thread:
Dual strike hits with BOTH weapons.
The DPS display cannot currently account for dual strike (and cleave) using both weapons at once, and treats them as all other attacks, meaning it thinks they will alternate using one weapon at a time.
As such, the DPS display is incorrect with this skill.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Dec 4, 2011, 7:53:02 PM
Buggy interaction with +Life on Hit.

I seem to gain about 19-21 while Dual Striking (main hand phys dam 28-74 / Off 20-55) which seems to be about half of what's expected.

Relevant items:
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

I wonder how the math is (supposed to) work[ing].

I would expect to add all +Life gained for each weapon Hit, regardless of where I find it: +3 (claw) +4 (amulet) +2 (claw) +10 (Support skill) = 19.
Second Claw also has 2% Phys Dam Leech which could account for 19-21 variance I find myself doing.

EXCEPT that I m linking it to Dual Strike, a skill that clearly hits with 2 weapons. I should be leeching double the amount I m seeing. Side-effect of Dual Strike actually being coded as a single hit or something?
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
That's how dual strike works - it's one hit, but with both weapons. All on-hit effects will trigger only once.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Dec 6, 2011, 6:50:11 PM
Yeah. Still sad to hear it since Dual Strike could really use something. From previous posts I took it that if you have similar dps weapons, you could sort of double the listed DPS for Dual Strike for comparison reasons. This may not be true. However, I m looking at my character and Dual Strike L8 gives exactly the same dps as Flicker L8 (after accounting for the LCD error: 163.0 vs 318.3).

Considering how much safer it is to Flicker, and Dual strike doesn't do any dps when you run around so it's actually not equal at all, Flicker is much ahead. It makes no sense for me to continue using Dual Strike since I could care less about the difference in mana cost (7 vs 12) which is really the only thing it has going for it.

Hence, I figured it'd be nice to actually let the gamemechanics treat Dual Strike as 2 hits. At least then I d use it for Leeching, and who knows what else. That approach is probably causing a ton of other shenanigans you don't want to deal with. Like, do Support gems add to both hits etc. Still I made this build specifically to test for Dual Strike and I can't see why I would use it anymore. It really needs something

EDIT: in retrospect, the difference in mana cost is quite significant; it just doesn't feel great that the main advantage is drinking less. It's a lot more tedious to drink more often. But balance wise I guess it's okayish. Altho I still vote to give it some love.
Last edited by Koalachan on Dec 7, 2011, 4:19:17 PM
I actually feel like dual strike works great with my duelist. Went for all attack speed and melee damage and it works as expected. Fast and lots of damage. Bosses are essentially run up, hold down right click, drink potions as necessary until boss is dead, which is usually quite fast. Against regular enemies, pretty much all single target skills are extremely difficult to use in PoE. Crabs are a dual strike users worst nightmare.

One thing that really bothers me about this skill is the fact that it still attacks even without a target selected. I find myself clicking on things and ending up swinging right next to the enemy (visually it is swinging on top of the enemy, but since the enemy wasn't perfectly selected, it is missing). May want to make it so it only does the attack without a selected target when holding shift.
Last edited by sharkh20 on Dec 9, 2011, 12:08:04 AM
I m also focused on attack speed and Phys dam. My Dual Wield build now dropped Dual from my bars and as Viper on Left muscled it out completely (and Flicker on Right). Viper started doing silly damage around L10 (and monsters getting beefier) and Flicker was ahead in dps compared to Dual anyway. Then it took a turn for the worse when I noticed Flicker has a much higher Attacks per second. So when you add any damage support gem Flicker really starts to pull away (now using Added Chaos Damage) since you apply it more times. The increase in mana cost for these 2 skills turned out to be a non issue. I keep levelling the Dual on the side to be able to compare later on.
How exactly does this skill work when dual wielding?

Won't it be exactly like default attack, except for the rather small damage penalty?
"
Psyklone wrote:
How exactly does this skill work when dual wielding?

Won't it be exactly like default attack, except for the rather small damage penalty?
No, because it hits with both weapons at one. Regular attacks alternate which weapon they hit with.
0.9.5 feedback below this post

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info